Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #71
Plane

Default Re: Duplication + Shapeshifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
"Heart Attack" could also mean "Turned to stone" which No Vitals wouldn't protect against. And any other sort of similarly lethal effect. Affliction (heart attack, acc only on machines) is a raw way to model an ability which makes any machine permanently break if it fails it's HT check.

And if it's just a normal coma then immunity to metabolic hazards would probably do the trick.
turning to stone should probably come with some literal rep of that like giving someone DR or making them homogenous...

otherwise it sounds more like paralysis+coma because a stone body would cause some problems for a possessing force

Yeah I remember that heart attack thing for machiens I think somewhere in powers...

Sorcery 20 renamed it "Destruction" to avoid confusion which I think it an excellent idea, similar to how Summoners renamed the Powers variant of Summonable to Conjured. Always bad to have different-functioning (even if only subtly different) enhancements sharing a name so glad authors came up with new terms after some time.

"simply break" rather than "mortal conditions".

I guess "you die" is an outcome which could have some visual dressings but literal stone... I dunno

Makes me wonder how you'd deal with things that could both 'break' or 'die' when distinguishing inanimated objects as characters...

I think life/mortality is something to do with "animating force" (how Fragile: Unnatural refers to death anyway) and severing it as opposed to just briefly impeding it as paralysis/unconscious do physically/mentally
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #72
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
turning to stone should probably come with some literal rep of that like giving someone DR or making them homogenous...

otherwise it sounds more like paralysis+coma because a stone body would cause some problems for a possessing force
Quote:
I guess "you die" is an outcome which could have some visual dressings but literal stone... I dunno
It was an example I used because I remembered reading it in a supplement but I could be remembering it wrong. It was used as an example of what you said in the second quote about how "you die" doesn't mean "heart attack specifically" but anything where "make a check, else you're done" is the mechanic.
Personally I agree that I'd probably do "turn to stone" specifically with some more modifiers. Maybe as "death" via (coma or heart attack) + alternate form (body of stone). Maybe with Cosmic: attack with a lingering special effect, for the statue that lingers.

Quote:
Makes me wonder how you'd deal with things that could both 'break' or 'die' when distinguishing inanimated objects as characters...

I think life/mortality is something to do with "animating force" (how Fragile: Unnatural refers to death anyway) and severing it as opposed to just briefly impeding it as paralysis/unconscious do physically/mentally
GM call based on the campaigns definitions of those things.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #73
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
"Heart Attack" could also mean "Turned to stone" which No Vitals wouldn't protect against. And any other sort of similarly lethal effect. Affliction (heart attack, acc only on machines) is a raw way to model an ability which makes any machine permanently break if it fails it's HT check.

And if it's just a normal coma then immunity to metabolic hazards would probably do the trick.
But, while I do generally agree that "turn to stone" specifically probably should require another effect in there, I think that's a distraction from the point so I'll use a different example:

A mummy has No Vitals. It's vital organs, including it's heart, have been removed in the mummification process.

A necromancer knows "Word of power: destroy undead" this plot stopping spell forces any undead to hear it within 8 yards of the necromancer when they speak the word to make a HT check or instantly die as the spell severs whatever necromantic animating energies they have. Affliction (emanation, 8 yards aoe, heart attack, accessibility: only on undead, sense based (hearing), affects insubstantial).

If the mummy has unkillable they're immune, but neither No Vitals nor Immunity to Metabolic Hazards renders them immune. It's not a literal heart attack, it just uses the same mechanics but applies them to a different class of thing.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #74
Plane

Quote:
A mummy has No Vitals. It's vital organs, including it's heart, have been removed in the mummification process.

A necromancer knows "Word of power: destroy undead" this plot stopping spell forces any undead to hear it within 8 yards of the necromancer when they speak the word to make a HT check or instantly die as the spell severs whatever necromantic animating energies they have. Affliction (emanation, 8 yards aoe, heart attack, accessibility: only on undead, sense based (hearing), affects insubstantial).
'Destroy' is probably a strong word so long as a corpse is left behind.

Maybe like "Unanimated Undead" or "Un-undead" or "Re-dead" or "Negate Undeath" or even "Kill Undead" ?

I prefer a term like Destroy when you literally vaporize someone into a kind of Diffuse cloud. I think someone suggested that in a thread when I wanted to stat corpses in progressive levels of destroyedness

P53 lets you take infinite levels of Area Effect for Swarm so I guess there isn't really any "final death" amount... matter cannot truly be destroyed!...

..But at some point the AE you occupy will be too wide to continue existing in every single hex by being composed of even a single-proton element (hydrogen) at which point I think you would need to be composed of subatomic things....

To avoid HP loss to one hex carrying over to others might require Independent Body Parts (in the case of swarm treating hexes as limbs, since you cease to have limbs in that state it feels appropriate as a house rule)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #75
Anaraxes

Quote:
Maybe like "Unanimated Undead" or "Un-undead" or "Re-dead" or "Negate Undeath" or even "Kill Undead" ?
"Disanimate".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duplication, shapeshifting