Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Captain-Captain

Default Affliction: hit me suffer a\the citical failure results from your attack

Basically strikimg this target hurts you, possibly worse than the damage you dish out.

I'm kind of stuck on the point value of critical faiures.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Affliction: hit me suffer a\the citical failure results from your attack

That sounds more like DR: Reflection as a base than Affliction. I think Rev. has house rules for Reflection on his site breaking it down/off DR and into leveled segments like he does Absorbtion? Or I may just be thinking of the Absorbtion.

EDIT: Or a reflexive 1 second fixed duration Cursed.

EDIT: OR super luck with wishing and a huge pile of limitations.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
starslayer

Default Re: Affliction: hit me suffer a\the citical failure results from your attack

Super luck with 'uses in game time' and with enough reduced time to make it instant, defensive only, only on a hit, time spanning, does not actually alter effect (which is going to be a pretty huge limitation)

and compartmentalized mind 'only for super luck'

Every time the individual is hit they time span a critical failure on the attacker, but they still get hit. It is going to be quite pricy, but being able to always make someone get a critical failure is going to be.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Super luck with 'uses in game time' and with enough reduced time to make it instant, defensive only, only on a hit, time spanning, does not actually alter effect (which is going to be a pretty huge limitation)

Every time the individual is hit they time span a critical failure on the attacker, but they still get hit. It is going to be quite pricy, but being able to always make someone get a critical failure is going to be.
Super Luck 1 ([430] w/ Standard Modifiers; [106] w/ Multiplicative Modifiers)
Modifiers: Reduced Time 17, +340%; Reflexive, +40%; Time Spanning, +50%; Defensive, -20%; Game Time, +0%; "Does not actually alter effect", -80%

... not that I would do it this way. :grins: I'd go with Affliction (Aura of Power; Disadvantage (Cursed); Accessibility (Attackers Only)).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Super Luck 1 ([430] w/ Standard Modifiers; [106] w/ Multiplicative Modifiers)
Modifiers: Reduced Time 17, +340%; Reflexive, +40%; Time Spanning, +50%; Defensive, -20%; Game Time, +0%; "Does not actually alter effect", -80%

... not that I would do it this way. :grins: I'd go with Affliction (Aura of Power; Disadvantage (Cursed); Accessibility (Attackers Only)).

Two posters talking about Reduced Time on Super Luck... Super Luck has no activation time, you don't need reflexive, and you reduce the interval by taking more levels of Super Luck, not by buying Reduced Time. And I don't see why you would add time spanning at all...

The 'Cursed' Aura is always a fun idea (I actually have a character with one, my Luck Powered Super Spy...) But Cursed is seldom predictable, and it certainly doesn't make you hit yourself every time you try to attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Follow the lead of Super Luck:

From p. 80 of Powers: ". . . the GM might permit higher levels: Super Luck 2 [200] works every 30 minutes, Super Luck 3 [300] works every 15 minutes, and so on, with each level halving the time between uses."

From p. 119 of Powers: "In most games, 12 or 13 levels [...] suffice to affect every die roll."

That is, since Super Luck works every hour -- or 3,600 seconds -- of real-world time, taking 11 extra levels (a total of 12, for 1,200 points) lets it work every 3,600/2^11 = 1.8 seconds, while taking 12 extra levels (a total of 13, for 1,300 points) lets it work every 3,600/2^12 = 0.9 seconds. Unless you roll more than once per second or two, this will do.

The same logic could be applied anywhere else real time is used to judge how often an ability works, really. Or you could just say "Super Luck is the ultimate example, so 'Cosmic, Unlimited Uses' is +1,200% everywhere."

I wouldn't allow this on any advantage where each level buys one use instead of reducing the time between a potentially unlimited number of uses, though. That's Gizmos, Serendipity, and Wild Talent. There, I'd honestly say that if you want to be able to invoke the ability each time the GM gives you an opening to do something, you should take as many levels as you think you'll need. With my own five-hour game sessions with each player getting to do something roughly every five minutes, that's about 60 levels -- Gizmos 60 [300], Serendipity 60 [900], Wild Talent 60 [1,200], etc.
Maybe go a cheaper route and use

Obscure Vision 20 (Defensive, +50%; No Signature, +20%; Stealthy, +100%; Anti-Targeting, -20%) [100]

And anyone attacking you (using vision to target you) has a -20 to their skill. That should make it worse for them than for you most of the time...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Bruno

The Reflection idea might be very mechanical, but it certainly is simple to adjudicate :) And for 403 points you can get quite a lot of it without cheating with both hands on the Reduced Duration/Takes Less Time front :P

Super Luck has a recharge time, not a duration, and not an activation time. There is no modifier for reducing a built in recharge time, and Super Luck comes with its own mechanic for reducing recharge time. Using a modifier to end-run around that is naughty naughty naughty.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Langy

Have the affliction give them the Klutz disadvantage (so all failures become critical failures) and also have that Obscure active, maybe at the -10 level. Most attackers will fail against it and thus critically fail their attack, while some might be able to get through.

But yeah, Reflection DR sounds like it'd be cheaper and easier to handle:p
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Bruno

"Your DR: Reflection doesn't give actual DR" sounds like a -100% limitation, by the way. Which cancels out Reflection nicely, giving 5 points per X in "You also hit yourself for up to X of the damage you do to me."

If they do more injury to themselves than to you, I'd start looking at making Reflection a leveled enhancement - they do 2X to themselves for every X they do to you, for +200%, and so forth.

If you want them to never be able to defend against the bounced-back damage, apply Surprise Attack to it.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Basically strikimg this target hurts you, possibly worse than the damage you dish out.

I'm kind of stuck on the point value of critical faiures.
Making people roll on the critical failure table doesn't usually won't in fact hurt them. But yes, a Cursed Affliction Aura is the way to go. (Limited by theme if it always makes people roll on the failure table.)
t
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Making people roll on the critical failure table doesn't usually won't in fact hurt them. But yes, a Cursed Affliction Aura is the way to go. (Limited by theme if it always makes people roll on the failure table.)
t
If you're Cursed and bad things happen, they happen in the worst possible way. This would make critical failures produce worse effects for those afflicted, but would not cause them to go to the Critical Miss table any more often than an unafflicted character.

I think combining these solutions would be very effective.

An Affliction that gives (Added Disadvantages: Cursed, +75%; Total Klutz, +15%) to make all DX-based failures critical with extra nasty outcomes, plus an an Anti Targeting Obscure to decimate the effective skill of your attacker to force that failure and top it off with some regular old Luck for insurance.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote