Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2024, 10:08 PM   #1
SirGavvin

Default Need help building a power

As the title says, I need some help building a power.

One of my players in a modern Monster Hunters game would like a power that allows him to infiltrate places where he probably shouldn't be without raising alarm.

He doesn't want invisibility to various senses, like most people would pick... instead he doesn't care if he is seen but wants people to assume that he belongs there. I thought this was interesting.

So instead of blocking senses, I figure this is more in line with Illusion or Mind Control.

I am at a total loss as to how to build this.... Help? Please?
SirGavvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 01:16 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Need help building a power

A SEP field (someone else problem)

I think there is a build somewhere, but I don't have my books with me.
Possibly in Psionics powers. Or the Weird ?

The complex way would be mind control with area effect, emanation, aura, suggestion ("I belong here"), and a few other modifiers... but there may be a simpler solution already priced.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:23 AM   #3
munin

Mind Control is too active for this ability, I think.

I'd use Affliction (Aura; Area Effect; Disadvantage, Delusion, User belongs here).

Other modifiers will depend on how this works (line of sight? through walls? extends to the security office in the basement or off-site where they're watching cameras?).
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:50 AM   #4
whswhs

I might look at building it as Chameleon with the Glamour limitation, and perhaps with Aspected to a particular type of effect.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:28 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Psi Powers uses Chameleon as the base for its telepathic "Mind Clouding" ability, which convinces others that you aren't there. Convincing them that you belong there seems related. Note that since Chameleon is a skill bonus, the trait also winds up with a skill roll to work (an extra Limitation). Since the goal isn't absence, but acceptance, you might shift the skill in this version from Stealth to Fast-Talk or Acting.

Mind Control, Suggestion ("I belong here") -40%, seems the obvious route. You would need Emanation, possibly Reflexive. That's heading toward the expensive side, so munin's suggestion of Afflicting a Delusion might well work out better. See "Auras of Power" in PU4, Enhancements, for one example. (Yes, an "aura of power" is built with Emanation, not Aura. There's only so many words to go around...) When customizing the modifiers to get what you want, it seems to me that the player very possibly might not want the effect to wear off the instant someone is out of the field, which Aura of Power achieves by building in a 1/60th duration to represent the effect getting reapplied every second while in range.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:51 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGavvin View Post
As the title says, I need some help building a power.

One of my players in a modern Monster Hunters game would like a power that allows him to infiltrate places where he probably shouldn't be without raising alarm.

He doesn't want invisibility to various senses, like most people would pick... instead he doesn't care if he is seen but wants people to assume that he belongs there. I thought this was interesting.

So instead of blocking senses, I figure this is more in line with Illusion or Mind Control.

I am at a total loss as to how to build this.... Help? Please?
GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1 (p. 16) has a power-up called "Remarkably Unremarkable" which is basically making someone memory proof.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:48 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

How about something like Modular Ability: Rank 1 (+50% Cosmic, Uniform and insignia included) Glamor. So, if the Glamor roll is made the viewer recognizes the user as a low level member of whatever organization is appropriate complete with uniform and insignia.

This would still leave problems like "What are you doing Sargent? This area is restricted!". Buying a very high Rank might at least change things to "Can I help you General?".
Old 01-15-2024, 10:51 AM   #8
DeadParrot

Cultural Adaptability to better blend in.
Social Stigma - you are someone(thing) beneath notice. A modern version is a janitor. Most places have them but when was the last time YOU really noticed one. (technically a disadvantage but in this case...){inspired by the Pak'ma'ra on Babylon 5. Carrion eaters, socially shunned and ignored so good for infiltration and spying.}
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 12:43 PM   #9
SirGavvin

Thank you all for your help! Decided on Affliction with Delusion.
SirGavvin is offline   Reply With Quote