Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
Rahvin_T

Default Re: Injury Tolerance: (varies), JUST damage mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Another way to represent extreme levels of durability is to purchase high levels of Enhanced Dodge instead of Diffuse (the 'dodge' could be creating holes within the body that allow damage to pass through without harming the character). Since Diffuse is a base 100 CP, that would easily pay for Enhanced Dodge 6, giving a DX 12 and HT 12 character with Combat Reflexes a dodge of 16 (for a total cost of 154 CP after a power modifier), which would protect them from 98% of attacks.
The issue with durability based on dodge has always been the luck factor. You will either crit fail a dodge or be critted; and have to have additional probability mitigators to deal with that. Additionally high ROF weapons tend to make life tough for dodgers in one-shot kill weapon scenarios.

IT: Diffuse, IT:(DR3, Cosmic, 50%) achieves a toughness that emulates a hyper-regeneration that gets overloaded with area/explosion attacks nicely. And always works; yes you can have a Villian built to mitigate it, but I would say a counterpower like that is much rarer than 10 mooks all blasting away with pi++ weapons at high ROF.
Rahvin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
Rahvin_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Normally the order you apply multiplication/division does not matter, so order would not affect Homogenous/Unliving AFAIK...
Based on RAW B380, composition (Diffuse, Homogenous, Unliving and Living) directly correlates to Wounding Modifier. Which based on the quote in Powers stated above always applies before Damage Resistance application. So the same mitigation you state with Diffuse also applies with all other body composition types and their wounding.

This really has an impact for Diffuse but for a power with levels (Damage Control) makes it viable at low points for smallish wounds as well.

RT.
Rahvin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahvin_T View Post
The issue with durability based on dodge has always been the luck factor. You will either crit fail a dodge or be critted; and have to have additional probability mitigators to deal with that. Additionally high ROF weapons tend to make life tough for dodgers in one-shot kill weapon scenarios.

IT: Diffuse, IT:(DR3, Cosmic, 50%) achieves a toughness that emulates a hyper-regeneration that gets overloaded with area/explosion attacks nicely. And always works; yes you can have a Villian built to mitigate it, but I would say a counterpower like that is much rarer than 10 mooks all blasting away with pi++ weapons at high ROF.
I do not know, given how many superheroes have some level of Injury Tolerance, it might be a good way to make a villain a credible threat (adding Cosmic, Irresistible Attack, +300% and Negated Advantage, Damage Reduction (100), +300% would only cost +60 CP). Such a villain would be able to ignore Mind Shield and rip away the protections of most supers (even the Archetype would feel vulnerable).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Based on RAW B380, composition (Diffuse, Homogenous, Unliving and Living) directly correlates to Wounding Modifier. Which based on the quote in Powers stated above always applies before Damage Resistance application. So the same mitigation you state with Diffuse also applies with all other body composition types and their wounding.
My point is that if you're doing "1/2 damage then 1/3" or "1/3 damage then 1/2" you end up with 1/6 damage either way, so order doesn't matter.

But "reduce to 2" or "reduce to 1" preceding IT:DR is a much bigger deal than reducing it to 1 or 2 afterward.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #15
Hide

Quote:
Thanks for the replies (...) Can you detail what you mean here? Maybe throw me an example? I admit that the Limited Defenses limitation always gives me fits; I wish SJG had just created a large chart of Very Common-Rare Damage types based on a vanilla campaign to work from. (...)
The ability "damage control" from GURS Psionic Powers features the enhancement "damage reduction", so the idea is changing it for damage resistance (DR); you can find DR in the basic book (p46), if you apply the enhancement called absorption, you can boost (heal) your HP or FP.

You could go a further step and buy regrowth; then you can limit this ability with "only heals as much HP absorbed by damage control" (IMO, that would be at least -40%) plus the psi modifier (for another -10%). You'll be able to grow missing limbs thanks to your Psychometabolism.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

Absorption (Heals HP Only; +80%) tends to work best with Ablative (-80%), Force Force Field (+20%), Flexible (-20%), Limited (Physical Only, -20%), and No Signature (+20%). At the point, it is 1 CP per level, so it is fairly easy to afford 50 levels [50]. Now, combine it with Regeneration (Extreme; Limited, Only DR, -40%; Trigger, Combat, -10%) [75], and you have the ability to absorb 50 points of damage, with 50 points being recovery per turn, since you are replacing HP with DR, and you can heal 25 HP per turn.

Now, this is not as useful as unmodified DR 50 and Regeneration (Extreme), but the combination is fairly useful, and only costs 125 CP before power modifiers. The character can negate 50 points of damage per turn and can recover up to 25 HP of damage per turn after the initial hit. It is a build that reflects individuals who keep coming back up regardless of how many times they are hit in combat.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #17
zoncxs

Quote:
Absorption (Heals HP Only; +80%) tends to work best with Ablative (-80%), Force Force Field (+20%), Flexible (-20%), Limited (Physical Only, -20%), and No Signature (+20%). At the point, it is 1 CP per level, so it is fairly easy to afford 50 levels [50]. Now, combine it with Regeneration (Extreme; Limited, Only DR, -40%; Trigger, Combat, -10%) [75], and you have the ability to absorb 50 points of damage, with 50 points being recovery per turn, since you are replacing HP with DR, and you can heal 25 HP per turn.

Now, this is not as useful as unmodified DR 50 and Regeneration (Extreme), but the combination is fairly useful, and only costs 125 CP before power modifiers. The character can negate 50 points of damage per turn and can recover up to 25 HP of damage per turn after the initial hit. It is a build that reflects individuals who keep coming back up regardless of how many times they are hit in combat.

your numbers are wrong.

Damage Resistance (Absorption, +80%; Ablative, -80%; Force Field, +20%; Flexible, -20%, Limited Physical, -20%; No Signature, +20%) is 5 points per level not 1 point per level.

80-80+20-20+20-20 = 0 meaning no change in advantage cost.

So 50 levels of that is 250 points, not 50 points.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #18
AlexanderHowl

You are right, I guess I just added wrong. Nevermind about that suggestion. It will teach me to do math while I am sick...
Old 02-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #19
zoncxs

Quote:
You are right, I guess I just added wrong. Nevermind about that suggestion. It will teach me to do math while I am sick...
I don't suggest doing math while sick, you might make mistakes. XD

Your build does show us, including everything else posted, that attempting to mitigate damage is not cheap.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
injury tolerance, limited defense