Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Please help price an advantage?

I would like help pricing this advantage, please. Here's what it does:

Complete Healing
Crippling injuries are never permanent, except dismemberment. On a critical failure on your HT roll to recover, the injury is lasting. On an ordinary failure, the injury is lasting, but divide recovery time by 2. Prerequisite: HT 13+.

There's also a bit about hot getting scars, which I've judged is 1 pt by itself. It's the bulk of the advantage, above, that I'm not sure about.

I'm also thinking I should change it so that on a failure recovery times are normal for a lasting injury, and on a critical failure recovery time is double. This is for LotR Elves, and they already have Very Rapid Healing anyway. I may also increase the HT prerequisite.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 10-18-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Please help price an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
I would like help pricing this advantage, please. Here's what it does:

Complete Healing
Crippling injuries are never permanent, except dismemberment. On a critical failure on your HT roll to recover, the injury is lasting. On an ordinary failure, the injury is lasting, but divide recovery time by 2. Prerequisite: HT 13+.

There's also a bit about hot getting scars, which I've judged is 1 pt by itself. It's the bulk of the advantage, above, that I'm not sure about.
That's Regrowth with something like a -30% limitation. Assuming that you don't just include it in Regeneration as a gimme.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
mehrkat

If it heals you it already exists

Just buy regeneration with regrowth. Regrowth describes the speed and Regrowth gives you the regrowing parts that are separated.

Please note: I find Regrowth to be too expensive in RAW. But by RAW Regrowth and if you want it to be relatively slow (a couple of days total just buy it at the cheapest level of Regeneration 1/12 hrs HP.

If you want it to work more quickly just speed it up with Regeneration.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Refplace

Start with Regrowth than add a limitation.
Many consider Regrowth over priced already so thats going to make an answer tougher.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm strongly reminded of injury tolerance (unbreakable bones) from page 53 of powers.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm strongly reminded of injury tolerance (unbreakable bones) from page 53 of powers.
Exactly, and probably simpler then trying for a method like the Op describes.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 10-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Bicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Exactly, and probably simpler then trying for a method like the Op describes.
Unbreakable Bones also includes double normal crippling threshold, and it's worth 10 points. I'd say just the "cannot be permanently crippled" aspect on its own is worth at most 5.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #8
Vaevictis Asmadi

It's weirder and harder to try to emulate a piece of fiction, instead of inventing whatever.

Unbreakable Bones and Regeneration are each more powerful than what I'm trying to represent. Tolkien's Elves are very tough, but not that tough. They already have a high racial HT (maybe 20), Very Rapid Healing, and Immunity to Disease. But they can be injured, maimed, crushed, bled to death, and otherwise killed. Their bones can be broken or severed. They heal faster than Humans, but probably no faster than Very Rapid Healing.

So, limiting Regrowth as an option:
They can't actually regrow or reattach severed pieces, not even fingers (except with high-tech surgery). Can Regrowth be Limited to apply only to Crippled (mangled or broken) parts that are still firmly attached? That's more limiting than Minor -50%, since it doesn't even grow back fingers. It's more limiting than Bane -50%, since dismemberment from any cause is permanent. Unbreakable Bones costs as much as Regrowth -75% and this is even less powerful than that - the crippling threshold is unchanged and Dismemberment is unchanged. (The crippling threshold is already high because of racial HT, and the roll to recover is already +5 from Very Rapid Healing.) 40 pts -80% would be 8 pts.

5 pts would instead be a -50% limitation on Unbreakable Bones? (Only applies to rolls to recover after being Crippled, doesn't prevent Dismemberment.)

This is how I'm trying to make it work:
If an Elf's leg is broken in 4 places, it would heal fully. Healing takes time, but afterwards his bone returns exactly to its original shape and size, and he can walk fine, instead of being Lame forever. But if his leg is severed or crushed into jelly, it's gone forever. The same would be true of an organ - a stab wound would heal fully (if he doesn't bleed to death) but surgical excision is permanent.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 10-18-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Unbreakable Bones and Regeneration are each more powerful than what I'm trying to represent. Tolkien's Elves are very tough, but not that tough. They already have a high racial HT (maybe 20), Very Rapid Healing, and Immunity to Disease. But they can be injured, maimed, crushed, bled to death, and otherwise killed. Their bones can be broken or severed. They heal faster than Humans, but probably no faster than Very Rapid Healing.
HT 20 seems high. That makes someone largely immune to poison and routinely able to continue fighting while mortally injured and gives +2.5 Speed. I'd probably represent their various abilities with specific Advantages rather than making them inhumanly robust.

As far as Regrowth (Crippling only) goes, I'd price it as -50%.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
Refplace

You might take a look at Douglas Coles Conditional Injury article in Thursdays Pyramid.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
healing, injury tolerance