Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Preplanning

So I've playing Payday 2, and one thing I absolutely loved about this game was preplanning. So basically, before a heist, you could spend cash earned during previous heists in order to make your life easier in the next heist. Some heists have a very simplistic preplanning, in that you either buy assets or you don't (Firestarter Day 1: Either you buy the grenade case or you don't, you the ammo bag or you don't, you buy the doctor bag or you don't), and those assets you bought will spawn at a very specific spot on the map. In some mission, it was more elaborate, you had a favor limit, each asset cost favor (a set amount for the whole party) and cash, and you got to chose the best place to put that asset. Assets includes getting a grenade case being brought and stashed somewhere on the place, a bag of ammo, a bag of medical supplies, planting spy cameras, getting a spare keycard or spare keys, getting someone to put a ladder at a location that advantages you...

So basically, I would love to get a preplanning mechanic in my GURPS campaign. Player Characters could get some mileage of having extra spare cash around after they got the best gun, best armor, best anything around. So how could I make this work in practice?

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Preplanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
So I've playing Payday 2, and one thing I absolutely loved about this game was preplanning. So basically, before a heist, you could spend cash earned during previous heists in order to make your life easier in the next heist. Some heists have a very simplistic preplanning, in that you either buy assets or you don't (Firestarter Day 1: Either you buy the grenade case or you don't, you the ammo bag or you don't, you buy the doctor bag or you don't), and those assets you bought will spawn at a very specific spot on the map. In some mission, it was more elaborate, you had a favor limit, each asset cost favor (a set amount for the whole party) and cash, and you got to chose the best place to put that asset. Assets includes getting a grenade case being brought and stashed somewhere on the place, a bag of ammo, a bag of medical supplies, planting spy cameras, getting a spare keycard or spare keys, getting someone to put a ladder at a location that advantages you...

So basically, I would love to get a preplanning mechanic in my GURPS campaign. Player Characters could get some mileage of having extra spare cash around after they got the best gun, best armor, best anything around. So how could I make this work in practice?

Thanks!
There's a pyramid issue that does this, introduces the Foresight ability - #3/53 I believe
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
There's a pyramid issue that does this, introduces the Foresight ability - #3/53 I believe
I've been looking at it... You mean "I've got an idea"? Is it good?

And thanks.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Gef

I've seen this a lot in various campaigns when players take the initiative, and I've never needed a specific mechanic for it other than the existing social traits. Contacts can help you locate and acquire black market gear (if you can pay), other contacts can dig up info on the target (like floorplans), arrange diversions, and so forth.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
McAllister

This is one of the very few things I can say that I'd know how to do in Exalted 3e, but not in GURPS. I find, in RPGs, it's more useful to have the power to say, in the middle of a break-in, "well, luckily I planned for this, and stashed a fire axe under an air conditioning unit in the next room" (and possibly roll for it) than it is to try to plan it all out ahead of time.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
This is one of the very few things I can say that I'd know how to do in Exalted 3e, but not in GURPS. I find, in RPGs, it's more useful to have the power to say, in the middle of a break-in, "well, luckily I planned for this, and stashed a fire axe under an air conditioning unit in the next room" (and possibly roll for it) than it is to try to plan it all out ahead of time.
That is Serendipity.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Tallor

Roll for Tactics (Heisting)?

But more seriously, I imagine Contacts (Inside guys, fences for selling the loot, roomates of the head guard who can convince him to call in sick) would be a major part of preplanning, with other aspects involving pure cash and a good Tactics roll, or similar.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
Refplace

Preplanning can bedoen any of a number of ways.
Action! Introduces BAD which is a penalty to an action based on various things about the job or your foe. Skills can counter some of those issues.
You can simply roleplay it, more interactive but requires players think ahead of time. And plan well.
Or you can use advantages like Luck, Serendipity, Gizmo and others to just happen to have what you needed.
Applying limitations such as "planned ahead of time" can reduce the cost of those advantages.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
I've been looking at it... You mean "I've got an idea"? Is it good?

And thanks.
It is, without a doubt, the BEST way to represent characters who are chessmasters, magnificent bastards, and those schooled in the Xantos Gambit. Doug's character in my supers game has it and it ends up making him pull off tactically genius things even if Doug himself forgets.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:01 AM   #10
whswhs

When I ran a fixers campaign, initially we had the players actually plan out the entire scheme ahead of time, and then carry it out. And since their characters were all incredibly competent, this was a series of completely predictable successes. After just a couple of times, all but one of the players were saying that this was totally boring and they would just as soon not play.

What I came up with instead was to allow the "planner" character to make a Leadership roll (with complementary skill rolls from other PCs). And for every two successes, he got one chance during the caper to say, "Ah, but my plan allowed for that!" and pull a rabbit out of his hat. It seemed to work pretty well. At least it emulated the experience of watching a caper movie.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote