Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Doesn't Bleed- Rules Exemption (Bleeding)?

If you want a character that has blood but just has perfect clotting and thus never bleeds (so they're not immune to blood-borne toxins and attacks that cut off blood flow), is that Rules Exemption (Bleeding)? IT:No Blood would include those other (in this case undesirable) immunities and so was overkill.

I think I'm right about the perk doing it. Is it weird that I feel it's way way too cheap? Actually I think even in a game not using the Bleeding rules, IT:No Blood is very underpriced, compared to the cost of having Immunity to similarly common classes of things (as per Resistant).

But in a game where bleeding is used and used heavily, the point value seems absurdly low.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Doesn't Bleed- Rules Exemption (Bleeding)?

I'd call it IT:No Blood with a -20% to -40% limitation (thus [4] or [3] cp). Bleeding is a much more common hazard than blood toxins or hampered circulation.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I'd call it IT:No Blood with a -20% to -40% limitation (thus [4] or [3] cp). Bleeding is a much more common hazard than blood toxins or hampered circulation.
Certainly bleeding is much more common, but technically bleeding is an optional rule and hence the province of a Rules Exemption perk. I think that's part of the reason why IT:No Blood is so cheap; the point values are based on the default rules sans optional rules.

It's always felt to me like Extra Option and Rules Exemption perks can often be more advantageous than some fairly costly advantages, all for one point. One thing I'd love to see in a Revised 4th, 4.5, or 5th Ed is pricing that changes depending on the optional rules a game uses. Either that or use the harshest assumption to price things...

How much would you peg the real value of "Doesn't Bleed" in a game that uses Bleeding rules? I'd say treat as an Immunity of at least Common (15 pts).
Old 07-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transhuman Space: Shell Tech; page 29, Sentient Snacks
Injury Tolerance (No Blood; Not immune to blood-borne toxins, -50%) [3];
This message is too short.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
JCurwen3

Injury Tolerance (No Blood; Not immune to blood-borne toxins, -50%) [3] doesn't really cut it though, because you'd still be immune to attacks that cut off blood flow.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Injury Tolerance (No Blood; Not immune to blood-borne toxins, -50%) [3] doesn't really cut it though, because you'd still be immune to attacks that cut off blood flow.
I would disagree, as what makes those attacks lethal is the trapped blood build in toxicity hence covered by the lack of immunity
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I would disagree, as what makes those attacks lethal is the trapped blood build in toxicity hence covered by the lack of immunity
It would make you immune to blood chokes, and that's something that the OP doesn't want...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Certainly bleeding is much more common, but technically bleeding is an optional rule and hence the province of a Rules Exemption perk. I think that's part of the reason why IT:No Blood is so cheap; the point values are based on the default rules sans optional rules.
If you are using the bleeding rules, I'd say the ramifications of being exempt from them are worth more than a mere Perk, a feeling you seemed to be in agreement with in your first post. I'd charge at least two, but I could see keeping the 3 point value from Shell-Tech, maybe changing the the limiter to -55%.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
If you are using the bleeding rules, I'd say the ramifications of being exempt from them are worth more than a mere Perk, a feeling you seemed to be in agreement with in your first post. I'd charge at least two, but I could see keeping the 3 point value from Shell-Tech, maybe changing the the limiter to -55%.
My point was that even at 5 points it's too low, maybe I'd go as far as way too low, and for that you also get the immunities to the consequences of having blood in addition to exemption from actual bleeding.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
It would make you immune to blood chokes, and that's something that the OP doesn't want...
Sorry I again have to dissagree.

Stopping blood flow cause harm 1 of two ways, Prevents natural toxins from being removed. But the limitation already saying it don't cover the aspect.

The other is getting oxygen to parts. but that's not covered by this advatnage at all, but "Doesn't breath".

And to head you off at the pass the advantage also doesn't make you immune to heart attacks either, that's no heart.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, immunity, injury tolerance, no blood, rules exemption