Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Should Musical Ability boost Connoisseur (Music)?

Thanks, everyone. I'll see what the GM says.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post

Maybe it should be called Foreign Language Ability, since that's what it does? Handling languages as learnable advantages isn't entirely satisfactory, but neither was their treatment as skills in 3e and earlier.
Then there's the fact that native English speakers interpret use of, facility with, and training in "languages" as referring expressly to foreign languages. The study of composing, delivering, and critiquing English is typically called "English," and occasionally broken down as "Creative Writing," "Literature," etc. – and at schools, the English department which encompasses such things is separate from the Languages department. Thus, in a book written in American English for a majority American market, we take it as read that "Language Talent" is going to be interpreted as "talent with languages that aren't your own." Aptitude for composition, delivery, and criticism is what Talents like Bard (GURPS Dungeon Fantasy) and Poet (GURPS Horror) cover; in fact, great writers are often spoken of with terms like "bard" and "poet," even when they're formally neither.

Short Version: English has the conceit that there's English and then there are languages. Thus, to native English-speakers, it wouldn't make that much sense for language-anything to affect the skills of unilingual people.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
More topically, since Musical Ability is somewhat underwhelming at just five skills, I'd be fine with tacking on Connoisseur (Music). It seems thematic and flavorful, and I can't see it breaking the game.
What about adding Dancing?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post

What about adding Dancing?
This gets a tricky answer.

As of this month, I've been studying Argentine tango for a year. I don't mean that I've taken an hour a week. I mean that I took the first two foundation-level courses in tango and two other courses in milonga; started private lessons that overlapped the coursework; got my prof's blessing to be an accompanier for the first three foundation-level courses and immersive "boot camps," in essence retaking them; spent two or three hours every week at práctica after the classes; and spent at least two nights a week practicing at home. I'm at the studio all day Sunday, and I see loads of very good dancers.

My opinion is that the dancers with musicality look a lot better. That said, they are not especially better or worse at technique. Their posture, axis, embrace, lead/follow, footwork, etc. are on a par with other people of equal experience. The majority of what GURPS would call the Dancing skill – the DX-based art, which can be somewhat cinematically used for things like feints, kicks, and such – is unaffected by musicality. Musicality is mainly of importance for impressing trained partners, and is more intellectual and social than physical.

I just asked my wife, who has been a belly dancer for six years, the same question. She gave the same answer. Belly dancers like to watch their more musical peers, but there's no question that the difficult techniques don't flow from musicality, but from practice, posture, and athleticism.

In both dances, lay audiences tend to be impressed more by the physically difficult moves than by the musically beautiful ones. You have to be a dancer to appreciate the musicality in dance, because until you've tried the steps, you have no idea just how hard they are to execute when musicians ask them of you rather than when you're ready. Tangueros admire the old-timey dancers who just walk nicely on the music; non-tangueros are more impressed by showy boleos, colgadas, ganchos, sentadas, volcadas . . . even if they're totally off the music. Belly dancers admire the traditional dancers who can interpret complex rhythms; non-belly dancers are awed by almost comical feats of muscle isolation.

In light of that, I'd say the following: No, Musical Ability doesn't help Dancing. However, if you have it, you may add its reaction bonus when dealing with fellow dancers. If you have another Talent that encompasses Dancing, use the higher of the two reaction bonuses.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Totally didn't expect GREAT WALL OF AMAZING DISSERTATION ON DANCING. Thank you. :-) That said, what might a talent that includes Dancing look like in PU3 style?

Become a Patron!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

There are three: Allure, which is a seduction talent, Born Entertainer, and Clown. I'll bet you could sell some PCs Capoeira Talent, which would be something like Acrobatics, Karate, Wrestling, Dancing, Knife and Singing.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
There are three: Allure, which is a seduction talent, Born Entertainer, and Clown. I'll bet you could sell some PCs Capoeira Talent, which would be something like Acrobatics, Karate, Wrestling, Dancing, Knife and Singing.
Not a bad idea, John.... Hmm, I wonder if I could use some sort of Athletics talent?

Become a Patron!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Not a bad idea, John.... Hmm, I wonder if I could use some sort of Athletics talent?
Natural Athlete, PU3 p13. Doesn't include Acrobatics, but there's room to add it without pushing up the cost.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Natural Athlete, PU3 p13. Doesn't include Acrobatics, but there's room to add it without pushing up the cost.
Thanks! I was out and about so I couldn't access my books. I think that'd be perfect.

Become a Patron!

Tags
connoisseur, music, talent