Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Long Range Missiles vs. Wind

If you stay becalmed long enough, food and fresh water start to get scarce, and situations might break out...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:07 AM   #12
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
If you stay becalmed long enough, food and fresh water start to get scarce, and situations might break out...
Oh, there are plenty of interesting situations that can arise even without the doldrums.

My original idea was merely to make a semi-realistic Megahex-scale map of a ship's decks (which I shall post soon, as it's almost finished, for anyone who may find it useful). But then I started imagining all the things one could DO with it. There are many, and the pirate battle is just one of the more obvious.

But yeah, ya also gotta love any story that involves possible cannibalism.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
Skarg

Ooh! I am looking forward to seeing your ship maps!

Yep, lots of fun possibilities on ships. I've had some great sessions just by having several people with PCs on a ship, laying out the ship floor plans on a hex map with the other passengers and crew, and seeing what the PCs get up to. Especially if the PCs are meeting each other for the first time on the ship, and/or have different goals/outlooks, it has led to some self-generating fun situations.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
hcobb

Magic Carpet Sail. Two hex carpet can lift 200 pounds, which is 11.6 horsepower. That's a mid-sized outboard motor.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Magic Carpet Sail. Two hex carpet can lift 200 pounds, which is 11.6 horsepower. That's a mid-sized outboard motor.
I love the idea, but two hexes isn't much of a sail. By my calculations, it would take about 43 of those to equal just the mainsail on my 84-foot carrack — and that's only 8600 lbs. of lift, for a ship that weighs ~170 tons.

Granted, it wouldn't be lifting, but merely pushing (pulling?), but even so…
Old 03-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #16
hcobb

If an 11.6 horsepower outboard motor won't push your boat then this won't either.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #17
FireHorse

Well, I'm pretty sure an 11.6 horsepower engine wouldn't even budge it. But 43 of them would be 498.8 (call it 500) horsepower, and that's rather a lot.

However, I imagine the cost of an 86-hex Magic Sail would not only exceed the cost of the ship, but probably also exceed the value of all the cargo it could carry in several years of trade.