Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
Dreakenwald

Default Adventures in "An Age Undreamed Of"

Hello everyone. First post for The Fantasy Trip. I have to admit I've been looking a long time for a game that captures the old school RPG feeling, and The Fantasy Trip feels like it might be it.

For a while, I've been trying to capture the feeling of the Sword and Sorcery films from the 80s, the best quality ones being Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, and Red Sonja in my humble opinion. For the past two weeks (since the CV thing hit anyway), I've been constructing my own RPG in that attempt, using only D6.

Like The Fantasy Trip, I determined that 3 basic abilities should drive the action of the game, except I used Body, Mind, and Spirit instead of Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence. For the most part, though, they seem to be used the same.

I did find the spell system in The Fantasy Trip to be a little overwhelming, but I believe I can adapt the combat and skill system very easily. And retweak the spells so that they fit better with the Sword and Sorcery trope I've been attempting to capture. So what follows is a list of new rules, "Classes" with special rules for each of them, and a different spell system that I hope captures the 80's "Sword and Sorcery" feeling, and if you like a battle report or two to show these things in action.
Dreakenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
Dreakenwald

Default Re: Adventures in "An Age Undreamed Of"

Weapons and Armor, Modified

In an urge to simplify the list of what's available, I've shortened the list of weapons and armor that are typically used in the "Age Undreamed Of"

SWORDS: Dagger, Broadsword (+2 damage when wielded with two hands), Greatsword

AXE/HAMMER/MACE: Club, Mace, War Ax, Morningstar, Battle Axe

MISSILE: Rock, Sling, Small Bow, Long Bow

POLE WEAPONS: Spear*, Trident

UNUSUAL WEAPONS: Light Staff*, Quarterstaff*, Net, Torch

Light Staff: 1d-2 dmg, ST 8, Cost $10, Wt 3.

*Spear, Light Staff, and Quarterstaff can be used in such a way that their wielders can attack twice in a round with them, provided that the wielder has not otherwise moved. If used in such a way, these weapons have -2 damage.

It should be noted that in the Age Undreamed Of, Wizards do not typically bear staffs, but that does not mean that other items cannot be charged with Mana.

ARMOR: Cloth, Leather, Iron Chain, Bronze Half Plate, Bronze Plate, Pack on Back, Small Shield, Spike Shield, Large Shield, Tower Shield

Last edited by Dreakenwald; 04-11-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
Dreakenwald

Classes

Barbarian: I was thinking of having a raging rule that enhanced the Barbarian's ST, DX by +1 after a certain threshold of damage, but this may have too much of a Dungeons and Dragons feel to it. Hero class.

Warrior: A skilled Hero class. The Warrior may select a single weapons skill at -1 point cost when created.

Thief: As RAW.

Sage: A skilled Wizard class. The Sage may select either literacy or a language skill for free when created. (If using the Magic rules below, the Sage may take any single Magic skill, and Utility Magic.)

Wizard: As RAW (If using the Magic rules below, the Wizard gains any two Magic skills, and Utility Magic.)

Sorcerer: The Sorcerer has +1 DX when casting thrown and missile spells. Sorcerer may buy skills and spells for double cost. Wizard class. (If using the Magic rules below, the Sorcerer can gain any single Magic skill, not including Utility Magic.)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
larsdangly

I have run extended campaigns set in the Hyborian Age using TFT as the rules set and GURPS Conan as the setting book. I have also played campaigns with GURPS as the core rules; this is obviously an easier fit with the stat bocks in GURPS Conan, but I find I and my group enjoy the TFT version more - the pace of play at the table is 'zippier' and a bit more cartoonish (in a good way!).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Dreakenwald

Magic

This is where the system I was working on shines. It may be a little imbalanced, but in playtests of the original system as written everyone had a blast. The important part of this system is not to have a magic spell or rule written for every scenario but to allow the Game Master to use magic primarily to progress the plot. If a situation arose where it seemed like new rules might be needed, we simply used a Spirit Combat to resolve it.

It should be noted that in an Age Undreamed Of, magic is not necessarily flashy or all-powerful. Unless extreme sacrifices are made (often of the literal sort). In the interest of maintaining courtesy, I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that the Age Undreamed Of was slightly more bloody than a civilized campaign might otherwise be.

None of the spells have an IQ requirement. Any wizard trained in the magical skill can use it.

Spirit Battle: Any wizard with line of sight to another wizard can engage that wizard in a Spirit Battle, which is a missile attack using IQ instead of DX, inflicting 1d in fatigue. Mental Shielding can be performed by a Wizard as an action similar to dodging, but using IQ instead of DX to reduce the effectiveness of Spirit Battling.

Abjuration(C)
Casting Difficulty: 3/DX
ST cost: 2/1 per round
This creates a forcefield in one hex, which may be the hex the wizard is standing in. It is invisible, but otherwise acts as a stone wall, preventing movement and attack. While the forcefield is being maintained, an opposing wizard may still engage the caster in spirit battle.

Divination
Casting Difficulty: 2/DX
ST cost: 2
The wizard can determine the direction and general distance of a chosen person, thing, or location. If the wizard only knows the object generally, this test is 3/DX.

Evocation(M)
ST cost: 1-3
The wizard blasts an opponent with this missile spell made of either fire, cold, or lightning. It inflicts 1 die of damage per ST used to cast the spell.

Summoning(C)
ST cost: 2/2 per round
This spell also requires the wizard to make a blood sacrifice (taking 1 actual hit), in addition to the fatigue. The lesser demon summoned by this spell can be controlled for 4 rounds, but after that the wizard can lose control of the demon and must make a 3/IQ check every round to maintain further control.

Healing
Casting Difficulty: Varies
ST cost: Varies.
-Casting Difficulty: 2/DX, ST cost 0: Heal 1 hit to self or a touched ally.
-Casting Difficulty: 3/DX, ST cost 1: Heal 1d6-2 hits to self or a touched ally, or cure poison.
-Casting Difficulty: 3/DX, ST cost 3: Heal 2d6-4 hits to self or a touched ally, or restore a lost limb.
-Casting Difficulty: 4/DX, ST cost 5: Heal 3d6-6 hits to self or a touched ally, or remove a curse from an item or person
-Casting Difficulty: 5/DX, ST cost 10: Resurrect a person or creature that has died in the past hour.

Transmute(C)
ST cost: 2/2 per round
Creates Fire, Shadow, Ice, or Earth in a target hex within throwing distance, or dispels or transmutes one of those elements to a different one. Fire and Ice cancel each other, as do Shadow and Earth. Fire can be transmuted to Shadow, Shadow to Ice, Ice to Earth, and Earth to Fire. It should be noted that when one of these forces is transmuted, the new effect is under the control and maintenance of the casting Wizard.

Illusions(C)
Casting Difficulty: Varies
ST Cost: Varies
-Casting Difficulty: 2/DX, ST cost 0: Create a mental fantasy in a target. This purely mental illusion is only in the target's mind, but will seem real enough to that person unless he or she disbelieves it. No one else sees or hears anything. "Look at the altar, Conan. Tell me what you see."
-Casting Difficulty: 3/DX, ST cost 1/1 per round: Create an obvious apparition with a ghostlike appearance. While these are easily disbelieved, powerful sorcerers may use these to deliver messages.
-Casting Difficulty: 3/DX, ST cost 3/1 per round: Create a visual object or creature that takes up a maximum of 1 hex, though it can also be a held object.
-Casting Difficulty: 4/DX, ST cost 5/1 per round: Create a visual environment that takes up a megahex. Anyone within the megahex will interact with the environment as though it were completely real until it is disbelieved.
-Casting Difficulty: 5/DX, ST cost 10: Traps a target in a dreamworld of their own creation until he or she disbelieves it. Unlike other illusion spells, this spell does not require maintenance. (Inception, anyone?)

Enchantment
ST cost: Any Amount
When you cast this spell at a target within throwing range, spend any amount of Stamina if you successfully cast this spell and roll 1d for each Stamina spent. If the total on the dice exceeds the IQ of the target, the target's will is bent to your own. A wizard who had formerly put up Mental Shielding can resist the spell by making a 3/IQ test. Instead of having a maintenance cost, the casting wizard may spend another 2 ST to increase the total on the dice by another 1d. During spell maintenance, the total on the dice decreases by 1d. When the total is less than the IQ of the target, the target is freed from the enchantment.

Utility
Casting Difficulty: 2/DX
ST cost: 1/1 per round
This spell is effectively a catch-all cantrip. It allows the wizard to effect the natural environment in small ways: light a torch or campfire, control a small or medium beast for 1 round, repel insects of normal size for 1 hour (no maintenance), open or close an unlocked door in sight, levitate a small item and move it with an MA of 2. The Games Master can designate other minor uses of this spell.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Dreakenwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I have run extended campaigns set in the Hyborian Age using TFT as the rules set and GURPS Conan as the setting book. I have also played campaigns with GURPS as the core rules; this is obviously an easier fit with the stat bocks in GURPS Conan, but I find I and my group enjoy the TFT version more - the pace of play at the table is 'zippier' and a bit more cartoonish (in a good way!).
Very Cool! I might have to get that one. I had been using d20 Conan rules for a long time in my D&D campaign (simplified, of course)
Old 04-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
Dreakenwald

More About Magic & Magic Items For Wizards

As I mentioned above in Classes, the Sage, Wizard and Sorcerer have different selections available to them regarding the magical skills/powers/spells.

Sorcerer: The Sorcerer has not had any formal magical training so never learned to master the minor magics that make up the Utility spell; instead, a Sorcerer often comes into their power suddenly and without warning, or perhaps obtained through some magical device or powerful ritual. The Sorcerer begins play knowing only one magical power, but if it is a missile or thrown spell, the Sorcerer has some additional skill in casting it.

Sage The Sage has had formal training in magic, and thus has access to the Utility spell, but never completed formal training in magic as he or she had other academic pursuits. The Sage begins play knowing one other magical power.

Wizard The Wizard has the most knowledge in regards to magic, and begins play knowing two magical powers and the Utility spell.

Phenomenal, Cosmic Pow- Disasters

A roll of 17-18 on any casting DX test indicates some disaster has befallen the caster. Roll 1d on the following chart. In addition, the wizard is corrupted by the spell and gains 1 Corruption.

1 - The spell is cast, and all seems normal at first, but something goes horribly wrong just as the spell takes effect, changing the target to the casting wizard or his or her closest ally if it is an attack spell, or to the casting wizard's closest enemy if it is a benign spell.
2 - The casting fails completely, but the wizard still takes fatigue. A minor demon (imp) is summoned and begins attacking the wizard.
3 - The casting fails completely, but the wizard still takes fatigue. A meteor strikes a hex 1d hexes away in a random direction, 1d rounds after. This hex is now impassable, any creature on the hex takes 3d damage.
4 - The casting fails completely, and the wizard takes 2x fatigue.
5 - The casting fails completely, but the wizard still takes fatigue.
6 - The casting fails completely, and the wizard recovers fatigue.

Magic Items For Wizards

Magic Ring: Each magic ring stores up to 3 Mana. While he is wearing a magic ring, a Wizard may infuse it with his own blood, taking 1 actual hit and charging the ring with 2 Mana.

Gilded Bracers: These bracers are of some shiny metal: bronze, silver, or gold. They provide no defense except to help focus the wearer's spellcasting abilities: The wearer gains +2 to DX or IQ for the purposes of spellcasting or spirit battle.

Brazen Skullcap: The brazen skullcap reduces fatigue taken from spirit battle by 1 and wearer gains +2 to DX or IQ for the purposes of mental defense.

Arcane Dagger: The bearer of this dagger can use it to inflict occult damage on a target in line of sight, and gains +2 DX when wielding the dagger in this occult way. It has no range penalty as the weapon is not thrown but inflicts its damage telekinetically. The target may use magical defenses against this attack, but other armor has no effect against it. The Arcane Dagger has a strong corrupting effect on those who use it.

Crystal Ball: Using the Crystal Ball successfully requires a 4/IQ test. It allows the bearer to see any desired, named specific place, person, or item. If this test fails critically, the crystal ball explodes, inflicting 3d damage on the wielder.

Cloak of Transformation: Using the Cloak of Transformation successfully requires a 4/IQ test. The wearer can take on one of the following forms for 1 ST every 2 rounds.
-BEAST FORM: +3 ST, 2 claw attacks that inflict 1d+1 damage.
-SERPENT FORM: +2 ST, +2 DX, bite attack inflicts 1d damage and poison, +4 to hiding checks.
-SPIRIT DRAGON FORM: +2 DX, +2 IQ, +4 MA (flying), incorporeal form and nearly invisible. Cannot engage in combat except Spirit Battle.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
Chris Rice

If I wanted a Conan style game, where heroes were already quite powerful and experienced, I'd probably use Barbarians of Lemuria.

For a lower powered game, where the heroes are starting out, I've found TFT works very well as written.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakenwald View Post
Very Cool! I might have to get that one. I had been using d20 Conan rules for a long time in my D&D campaign (simplified, of course)
GURPS Conan is, hands down, the best single book hyborian age supplement. It packs so much gameable setting material in such a small space it's kind of amazing.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote