Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Neo-Gorillas - Larger than expected!

I love the idea of animal uplifts, and a human-hand-having gorilla was a pretty cool idea. I did notice something a bit odd about it though. SM+1.

I've seen other game systems put gorillas in a larger-than-human category, usually to make them have superior grappling power that represents their extreme strength. But GURPS is a precise system, which allows more precise stats!

As far as my research has shown, most adult gorillas have SM+0 bodies, ranging from barely 5 feet to just over 6. Their arms are much longer in proportion, but I'd rather count their height for Size Modifier and simply give them Long arms, which would make perfect sense for their otherwise squat bodies.

I propose a SM+0, ST 15 gorilla as standard. A SM+1 gorilla could easily get into the ST 20+ range!
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
lwcamp

Default Re: Neo-Gorillas - Larger than expected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
I love the idea of animal uplifts, and a human-hand-having gorilla was a pretty cool idea. I did notice something a bit odd about it though. SM+1.

I've seen other game systems put gorillas in a larger-than-human category, usually to make them have superior grappling power that represents their extreme strength. But GURPS is a precise system, which allows more precise stats!

As far as my research has shown, most adult gorillas have SM+0 bodies, ranging from barely 5 feet to just over 6. Their arms are much longer in proportion, but I'd rather count their height for Size Modifier and simply give them Long arms, which would make perfect sense for their otherwise squat bodies.

I propose a SM+0, ST 15 gorilla as standard. A SM+1 gorilla could easily get into the ST 20+ range!
They are, however, considerably thicker than a human, which makes them easier to hit.

For what its worth, I peg the males at SM 1 and the females at SM 0.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:58 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

R.A.W. says to only use the longest dimension with possible adjustment for overall shape. I prefer to use mass as that's less prone to abuse and absurdities. But SM is a whole bag of messiness and disagreements.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
R.A.W. says to only use the longest dimension with possible adjustment for overall shape. I prefer to use mass as that's less prone to abuse and absurdities. But SM is a whole bag of messiness and disagreements.
Agreed. I go with mass, so 150 lbs. is the geometric average of SM 0, which ranges from 84-267 lbs., and each +1 to SM reflects an increase in mass by a factor of 10^(1/2). That would put gorillas, lions etc. at SM +1, but it also puts horses at SM +2! Which I think is quite right.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biotech, gorilla, size modifier, uplift