Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #11
tomc

Default Re: Magic Item Creation Run-through: The Felfang Amulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Do you have many players itching to play halfling merchants?
I make NPC halflings that act like obnoxious 13 year olds. Any way they can take advantage of their cuteness to screw over "the bigguns" is totally justified. They have a huge chip on their shoulders and are totally duplicitous. Somehow only the players see through this. None of the NPCs ever catch on.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
larsdangly

As I understand it, the example in the OP would be for an amulet that requires its user to expend ST to use it, and a self-powered version would be costly and harder to make, yes? Or is there some special exception for amulets of protection? Whether or not things are self powered is a major weakness in the core book - the rules are there, and a few items specify one way or the other, but most say nothing.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #13
hcobb

Amulets vs Critter are active even when not held, so don't draw fatigue.

ITL 160: "(or even pick up and wear)"
Old 12-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #14
larsdangly

So, a special case unique to that form of enchantment. Which is fine, but it would be nice if these sorts of distinctions were made more explicit because it is one of the more important questions about magic items in play.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:35 AM   #15
Shaira

Yep, it's a bit confusing - the key line "Such amulets work constantly, even if not worn, and take no ST from their wearers" is actually at the end of the section on "Amulets Against Living Creatures" (ITLp60) and not in the section "Protective Amulets", so it's not clear whether the same applies to other types of amulet - for example, the Amulet Against Fire (which is a "different name for a Fireproofing item", so presumably no ST cost) and Amulet of Last Effort (which indicates "Creation stats are the same as the Silent Movement item" (?), so may cost 1ST / turn).
Shaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #16
timm meyers

[QUOTE=Shaira;2405349]Hi everyone,

Incidentally, the "Price" for an "Amulet vs Creature" on the Magic Item Creation Table (ITLp151) is 3000sp. That number seems to have no relation to the Stage 1 cost above, which is 1800sp. So, I'm guessing the Magic Item Creation Table prices are very much handwavy ballpark figures - this one seems to be figured from a 1000sp / week baseline, but who knows? I don't see it's a problem, except that if I was running a game where PCs were actively creating and selling magic items, I'd probably want to recalculate the Table numbers to reflect the creation rules more closely.

Regarding consumer sale prices- I always feel compelled to point out that the end price of an item is primarily dependent on what the consumer is willing to pay. 2 people making the same olive oil, having the same production costs can very easily have 2 wildly different sale prices due to perceived quality, marketing or social strata consumers, availability, etc.
I read the book prices as the general market value of said item and could vary greatly depending on your environment/world. Even a common dagger may well have different value in the Rusted Jungle compared to Dwarf Deep capitol. Your conclusion on the amulet being "Priceless/One of a Kind" is a perfect example of perceived value. I like the calculation formula (even with some flaws) provided in the books as it gives a player another avenue beyond adventuring to obtain what they might want.

Great item BTW, calculations look right to me, hope it plays well in your story.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #17
larsdangly

The magic item economy is total nonsense; I highly recommend running a campaign in which most PC's feel like creating or stealing items are the only reliable paths, and any attempt to purchase them is met with a seller's market that will demand whatever they can make the players pay.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #18
Shostak

Seconding Lars's comment. I have always regretted it whenever I allowed PCs to purchase magic items.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #19
hcobb

The question GM ought to ask themselves is how did that one magic item get into the monster's lair.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:17 AM   #20
phiwum

I don't understand your point, Henry. It got there probably because someone was carrying it and killed by the monster. Which is how most treasure ends up in the monsters' collections, right?

Obviously, this suggests that the magic items in the treasure shouldn't be so badass that they'd nigh guarantee the death of the monster, but what other conclusions do you draw?
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amulets, demographics, enchantment, magic item creation