Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2018, 04:57 AM   #41
Agemegos

Default Re: Help stat Queen Elizabeth of England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
This is a valid point. Especially during WW2, the Royal Family was held up as a model of English virtues (conveniently forgetting the pre-war pro-Nazi sentiments of Edward VII and many members other the upper crust).
Edward VII died in May 1910. I expect you meant Edward VIII.

I recently read Princes At War by Deborah Cadbury (ISBN 978-1408845080), which was based on research including access to George VI's war diary. It was a good read: I recommend it to anyone who is interested in this stuff.

Edward VIII's pro-Nazism was not confined to sentiments and did not end when the war started. He did things that they could have had him shot for, including disclosing war plans to the enemy, deserting his post, collaboration, and conspiracy to defect. Everything that we have darkly suspected since the Seventies is true, and more.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:06 AM   #42
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
And this is the 21st century, I'm sure she has both Kevlar and a handgun under those bulky coats.
I expect you are right about the armour, but I doubt that her protective detail would encourage the handgun.

Here is footage of what happened when shots were fired in the presence of Prince Charles (in Sydney in 1994): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e_GoHngOIE. The bloke in the greyish-pink tie at 0:10 is HRH's personal bodyguard; all the rest of the chaps in dark suits who jump the gunman are bystanders, including the premier of New South Wales and the Australian of the Year award recipient who was there to receive his honour. The police arrive at 0:16, probably intent on saving the perpetrator from the crowd.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 09-22-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:28 AM   #43
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
What sort of iron does Elizabeth pack? I know she's good with a deer rifle…
And with a shotgun. I suppose that she has packed it in now, but she used to shoot more often than she stalked, and trained her own retrievers.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #44
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
And with a shotgun. I suppose that she has packed it in now, but she used to shoot more often than she stalked, and trained her own retrievers.
Which means the other stat sheets failed to include Animal Handling/Retrievers and Tracking skills.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #45
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
The Queen has inherited a fantastic gun collection and it might be more diverse than some would imagine. During WWII the US was pleased to present to her father a Garand and an M1 carbine which i am told he fired several times.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #46
Plane

http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/thequee...a-doctor-61205 indicates she might have Detect (Trauma) as an exotic power.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #47
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
... she might have Detect (Trauma) as an exotic power.
I think that's just Body Language skill. She's met a lot of people suffering from various traumas; until she started to cut down on public engagements due to age, it was absolutely normal for her to visit survivors of tragedies.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #48
acrosome

I agree that the Guns skills should generally be Gun Sport or some such. Excepting maybe Pistol, if her training in that was in any way significant at this age (15).

We're talking about spending a lot of time on the skeet range, here, after all.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #49
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/thequee...a-doctor-61205 indicates she might have Detect (Trauma) as an exotic power.
Why not give her Empathy [15]?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #50
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
I agree that the Guns skills should generally be Gun Sport or some such. Excepting maybe Pistol, if her training in that was in any way significant at this age (15).

We're talking about spending a lot of time on the skeet range, here, after all.
ER2 (as she has been known to initial herself on dusty shelves) presumably still has access to pistols despite the ban, but I believe the only place you are likely to see her carry one might be hunting for the possible necessity to put down an injured game animal.

The accounts of the 1982 Buckingham break-ins by a self-proclaimed drunken Irishman who lived to tell the tale indicate she didn't keep a gun for self-defence at home, so I would think it would be unlikely for her to carry concealed in public. If there were a known or suspected threat, one of her security detail might have an extra weapon ready to be given to her, but I think her habit of going unarmed is likely encouraged to prevent her life being more at risk from a kidnapping attempt. Recall this was only 3 years after Earl Mountbatten was killed.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
queen elizabeth