Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #31
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Help stat Queen Elizabeth of England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but shouldn't she get somekind of advantage based on the attitude of the British people to their Royal family. There are literally millions of people who'd kill or die for this woman. Tens of millions who, even when they called her "one of the little princesses," regarded her with the same love and loyalty they'd give a family member. Not all Brits care about the royals, but she has one hell of an ally group!
reputation?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #32
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Further thought. This woman has in essence been on stage since the 1930s and has made no major blunders of deportment. The idea of a Talent for being Royal is good but give her four levels! Also, in GURPS Savoir-Faire is the skill that covers manners and deportment.

Given the social landmines the woman always had to walk through, skill 18 or higher seems right.
Luck, or aspected luck?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #33
jason taylor

Quote:
Status isn't love or reverence. Napoleon had status. The Brits, more in the past than now, but even now, are sentimental about their royals. It is different than mere status.
Napoleon had worship, not just status. Louis the Eighteenth is more your model for that description.

Brits however don't really worship people. They treat royals the way the word king originally meant (head of kin).
Old 09-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #34
Pursuivant

Quote:
I haven't read the whole thread, but shouldn't she get somekind of advantage based on the attitude of the British people to their Royal family.
This is a valid point. Especially during WW2, the Royal Family was held up as a model of English virtues (conveniently forgetting the pre-war pro-Nazi sentiments of Edward VII and many members other the upper crust).

It wouldn't be unreasonable to give Elizabeth a level of Social Regard (Revered).
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #35
Pursuivant

Quote:
She has been on the public stage since the early 1930's when she would have been too young to go to school. She has had no Major lapses of public deportment in all that time. Sounds like multiple levels of talent to me.
Remember that really hefty bonus to Savoir-Faire due to relative differences in Status!

That said, Elizabeth worked damned hard to train herself to be queen, and does seem to have had a talent for the job which impressed her contemporaries. I modeled it as Charisma, but perhaps Talent would be a better fit.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #36
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Here's my mid-1945 version. I invented a talent for Royals, and used it below.
Good call on the Broad-Minded quirk. Elizabeth doesn't appear to have been infected (or as badly infected) by the anti-Catholic, anti-Semitic, racist, and jingoist sentiments which were all too common at the time.

I still maintain that she should have a tiny bit of Theology (Anglican) skill and that many of her skills should actually be covered by Dabbler perks. (e.g., did she ever have to survive outdoors for any length of time, or go through a military style survival course?) But, obviously, not a problem if you're going for a heroic version of the character.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
… obviously, not a problem if you're going for a heroic version of the character.
I did her after doing her parents, and various other relatives. The main point was to get their behaviour right, since one of the PCs in the campaign is marrying into the royal family, and they may thus have to be played a bit.

The backstory for all this is quite complex, but the relevant episode is described here.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #38
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Although I do wonder ...

Queen Victoria packed a Webley. What sort of iron does Elizabeth pack? I know she's good with a deer rifle, but what about her handgun preferences?
Old 09-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #39
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Queen Victoria packed a Webley. What sort of iron does Elizabeth pack? I know she's good with a deer rifle, but what about her handgun preferences?
She had some training with an Enfield No.2 during WWII, I think. I doubt she's used a handgun since.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:28 AM   #40
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
She had some training with an Enfield No.2 during WWII, I think. I doubt she's used a handgun since.
And this is the 21st century, I'm sure she has both Kevlar and a handgun under those bulky coats.

Tags
queen elizabeth