Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: How to replicate the 'second wind' ability from D&D 5e?

I think it's important to note what is going on with the ability. D&D HP is an abstract measure of ability to avoid, absorb, and endure damage. GURPS HP is really only one of those things: absorb. Avoid is represented by defenses (and FP to fuel extra effort on those defenses), while endure is HT. The "HP=ability to defend" is the only way I can justify HP increasing the way they do in D&D.

So in D&D, regaining HP can be "second wind". In GURPS, it's pretty much "wounds close".
Old 07-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #12
weby

Note that in D&D 5e the ability is a bonus action(thus takes no time to activate), you need to rest to reuse it and it scales badly(at level 1 you heal just below 1/2 your total HP on average, at level 20 it is about 1/4 your total.

The canonical way:

Regeneration: very fast: 1 hp/second.

Maximum duration: 1 D&D combat round: 6 seconds thus <30 seconds: -75%

Requires rest: The maximum duration includes a 5 minute time. That is likely close enough. or perhaps some more modifiers...

It is a bonus action so needs 1 level of reduced time: +20%

Scales badly: There is no equivalent in GURPS, as in GURPS at 20 HP you get double.. so would need to invent a modifier so it does not apply..

But the basic one is thus: 100(-75%, +20%)=45 points and heals 6 points.. but could heal up to 29 points at same cost at rate of 1/second..

If you add something extra to limit it further like the rest requirement and the non scaling for higher HP.. the cost would be lower.

The non canonical way: Heal advantage:

So features: instant heal:

Affect self: +50%

Injuries only: -20%

Affects self only: Could not find such modifier, but own race is -20%, so maybe -40%

It is a bonus action so needs 1 level of reduced time: +20%

It is limited to half beginning character HP: So Cap of 4 FP (-15%) gives us 8 point healed, a bit high but as 2 FP would limit it to 4 hitpoints.

Do not want the FP cost: +20%/FP=+80% (Though actual use of FP might also be used to simulate the need to rest after instead of the takes recharge below)

Cannot be used until rest: Takes Recharge -20% or remove the lowered FP cost above

Scales badly: There is no equivalent in GURPS, as in GURPS at 20 HP you get double.. so would need to invent a modifier so it does not apply.. Perhaps forcing a 20+HP fighter to buy a more limited version, say 2 FP version.

So the total would be: 30 (+50%,-20%, -40%, +20%, -15%,+80,-20%)=47 points and heals 8 points with no FP cost. The FP using version: would be 29 points.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 AM   #13
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletoe View Post

'You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 +your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.'
Extra FP (Only for Feverish Defense -80%) [1]/level appears to match the flavortext almost exactly.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:14 AM   #14
Appletoe

I just found the second wind ability from Action #2 which appears to be exactly what I'm after here. It says you can spend 1 FP for 1 HP healed.
Appletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #15
Ashtagon

D&D hit points are a measure of not just physical ability to take punishment, but also ability to dodge, stamina, luck from the gods, and a variety of factors other than actual damage. Although the in-game representation is hit points regained, the character isn't actually causing his wounds to physically close up; he's catching his breath, recovering his wits, mentally "turning off" the pain, and so on.

In many ways, D&D hit points are more akin to GURPS per-session/day uses of Luck (and other per-time-unit usage abilities), fatigue, and defence rolls.

I'd suggest any of:

* Replenish per-time-unit abilities such as Luck.
* restore fatigue points
* temporarily cancel the skill check penalties associated with hit point loss.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletoe View Post
I just found the second wind ability from Action #2 which appears to be exactly what I'm after here. It says you can spend 1 FP for 1 HP healed.
That's the way I'd go. It seems to work well enough. I've used it as a way to simulate the way heroes can get beat all to heck in a movie or TV show, then seem in pretty good shape moments later (barring a few small cuts and bruises and perhaps some labored breathing). It works well for that.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #17
NineDaysDead
Banned

Use Alternate Form (Non-Reciprocal Damage +50%; Reciprocal Rest +30%) [27] as a base. Maybe take a limitation that both forms are exactly the same.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Use Alternate Form (Non-Reciprocal Damage +50%; Reciprocal Rest +30%) [27] as a base. Maybe take a limitation that both forms are exactly the same.
You also need a bunch of Takes Less Time - it takes 10 seconds otherwise. But a limitation for the issue that you have absolutely no disguise value at all is reasonable. It's worse than Flawed, as there's ZERO disguise value rather than "really bad" disguise value.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #19
Desthro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Extra FP (Only for Feverish Defense -80%) [1]/level appears to match the flavortext almost exactly.
I second this. Giving them an Extra FP to use only on Second Wind from GURPS Action 2 pg. 38 would do the trick nicely. Then requiring Takes Recharge for an hour would be more than acceptable. Even if its already at -80%, 1 pt for it would make it a perk. Might as well perk it out!

Second Wind (perk) - At any time, you can regain 1 HP instantly. You can only use this ability once every 8 hours. (or however long it is)

I'm kind of shocked that more of the extra effort stuff isn't perk'd out already. . .

Last edited by Desthro; 08-21-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
D&D hit points are a measure of not just physical ability to take punishment, but also ability to dodge, stamina, luck from the gods, and a variety of factors other than actual damage.
That's an interpretation of the term I could never wrap my head around, which is one of the (many) reasons I so eagerly switched over to GURPS. Because the D&D flavor text indicating that HP is a ton of different and unrelated concepts didn't mesh well with the way healing was presented to me or the way I or anyone I ever played with ran things.