Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 AM   #131
Ransom

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Could everyone tell me where they think their character is in the approval process? I think its pretty much in the final stages for everyone but Skullcrusher (I'm waiting for another sheet), and Talosian (who is moving quickly), and matrix WAS in the final process before he messed with the template.
Brother Man is sanctified, justified, and ready for every good work!
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #132
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Could everyone tell me where they think their character is in the approval process? I think its pretty much in the final stages for everyone but Skullcrusher (I'm waiting for another sheet), and Talosian (who is moving quickly), and matrix WAS in the final process before he messed with the template.
Sorry I thought you saw when I said was going to repost it in the same thread I posted the last one. Here he is again

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asf4nudwhv...ter-1.pdf?dl=0

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #133
Lamech

Let's see I should type up my common ritual ideas since I'll need to do it anyway, I should specify my shtick and I should spend a lot more of the characters cash so I don't end up trying to fight monsters by throwing gil at them. So play ready, but I'll kick myself later if I don't get typing now?

Shtick is just gonna me able to wear a long coat without it getting caught or overly damaged despite the fact that it would normally be an issue. That cool? How about a generalized "clothing/hair doesn't get caught or tangled?" Weight, DR, DB etc. apply of course.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #134
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

-53 (disadvantages) + 152 (advantages) = 99

Spoiler:  

I'm thinking that the particular emotion this fae delights in is embarrassment (general trickery is a little broad).

Low Status is meaningless for someone who can both change his appearance on a whim and has extensive skill at acting.

The characters will not be formal members of a monster hunting team (though you may belong to an organization which does so -- we have at least two characters doing this). They need a motivation to go hunting. They will be acquaintances with each other, though not good friends (at least not at first).

There are no "Grand" organizations. In addition to Cherion and Luminus Vilgaeas, we also have "The Insiders". All have been player proposed. The main rules are that the government is not in on things (though individuals may be) and nothing is an overarching grand superpower in the supernatural. Feel free to introduce one of your own.

Gates can indeed get you in and out of faerie. You pick an area of faerie to have gate knowledge for, and you can get to it from any place you have hidden lore gates for. Brown does not have his own kingdom -- why would trickster faeries hang out together? That's no fun at all. Places he might now well:

The Elven Courts: elven lords (and they are all lords) get fulfilment from bossing other fae around. No place for jokes like a sanctimonious court.
The Market: Fae gather to barter for deals with each other. This place is about services rather than goods, for the most part. Yet another great place for pranks -- tempers are on the edge, fae are out on limbs, and so forth.
The Corners: The parts of faerie closest to mortal cities. This area is mostly used as a place to hide or lurk during the day. While the other two have their own enforcement of sorts, the corners is a wild no-man's land.

You can of course get from one part of faerie to another. Take Hidden Lore ( Area of Faerie) rather than area knowledge. It will cover the proper gates as well as how to get around, how to behave, and so forth.

Skullcrusher, It appears I looked at your sheet and thought it wasn't changed because the ST boost still costs 9 points instead of the 6 that it should. I'm looking at your gear and deciding whether say good or call 'tech fest!'. I think I'm going to call it good. Yes, you used action heavily rather than MH (and wow, on second look it seems a lot of the stuff is the same but your program prefers actions), but it all in one place and easy to navigate (and not weighed down with options). Don't worry about rations, thats part of COL (which we are glossing over. It looks good other than you having three spare points.

Also, see the 'dual nature post below'.

Ransom: Ready to go.

Lamech: I know the feeling!

Refplace: Those would be gadget linked powers, not bonuses to magery. Sorry. I'm not terribly fond of gadgets and magery interacting. Increasing basic damage is bestows a bonus, and its a +2 /+1 per dice deal, and a narrow category (there is a Kromm post on that that came up for initiates war on that). I would not recommend niche protection.

Matrix, I'm sorry if I came across a little harsh, I have verified through several external sources I was grumpy in general yesterday. I think in most cases you mentioned the stuff to me and I didn't really get back to you.

Please use danger sense rather than precognition.

I think I'm going to rule against having effects insubstantial on ST. Let me describe why: most insubstantial foes will have proper weaknesses, often only insubstantial vs mortals. The ones who don't have such weaknesses aren't intended to be rendered substantial, and I'd probably just end up slapping cosmic on them. I suggest looking at dual nature (see below) to handle insubstantial enemies that are intended to be physically handled.

a 300% enhancement to remove any supernatural or chi power sounds good, fair and proper to me. Place the old restrictions on it.

Yes, I was referring to having alternative enhancements on an alternative ability. Its not kosher, for mathematical reasons. Cap reliable at +4, halve the cost, and specify analysis only. If you want to add the other qualities, you can do so, but either the sense shouldn't be an alternate or you should pay full cost for them.

Fill up the remaining points by increasing existing stuff or just falling short, and we should be good.

OPTION:
A great deal of supernatural abilities, particularly mind control, insubstantial, and invisibility, are dependent on whether a person is supernatural or mortal. Cursed ones, are by default, mortal. Dual nature is a feature that allows you to count as both supernatural or mortal in most situations. It's a feature: you can touch almost all insubstantial beings, see beings that are invisible to one or the other, and so forth. Both path of body and the appropriate supernatural type effect you. You can be effected by attacks that effect either kind of being, and are effected by true faith and thresholds. This is available to either of our cursed characters.

A variation on that is conscious dual nature: that is: Unusual Background (I can choose if I'm supernatural or mortal depending on the situation)[10]. Such characters can hold back their supernatural nature, or expose it, to individual effects. You ignore thresholds and attacks that only work against one side of your nature, and can interact with effects as either mortal or supernatural. Mages working against you need to be careful about which paths they choose to target what part of you, but Mages working with you can target either part of your nature. . Once again, this is available to either of our cursed characters.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #135
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

We're going to start pretty quickly. There will be a few of different seeds starting off the story. Some are connected, while others are not.

Feel very very free to bring in other PC's when it feels appropriate, or to suggest ways that you could run into each other. If it helps, consider all of you to have serendipity only for the purpose of involving each other in the story.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 01-21-2015 at 04:16 PM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #136
Talosian

Eric

Crunch response:
Spoiler:  

-

Quote:
I'm thinking that the particular emotion this fae delights in is embarrassment (general trickery is a little broad).
Hmm. Would it be viable for a fae to have multiple emotional "poles" that attract them? If not, I can play this as Brown appreciating and enjoying all kinds of tricks designed to frustrate and otherwise harass, but being especially drawn to more sweepingly dramatic pranks of shame and embarrassment (in which case, he'd definitely be familiar with the Elven Courts).
Quote:
Low Status is meaningless for someone who can both change his appearance on a whim and has extensive skill at acting.
<facepalm> This is an excellent point that I completely missed. Consider it dead and buried. I'll kill Social Stigma (Minor), since he could usually ignore it as well.
Quote:
The characters will not be formal members of a monster hunting team (though you may belong to an organization which does so -- we have at least two characters doing this). They need a motivation to go hunting. They will be acquaintances with each other, though not good friends (at least not at first).
Hmm. I'll probably amend Jack's Duty to something else. His motivation and his reason for monster hunting may be somewhat different (he'll be motivated by Thrill-Seeking, but chooses to specifically hunt monsters because of personal losses, which probably won't be represented by a trait). Regardless, he'll stay on point with the monster hunting.
Quote:
Gates can indeed get you in and out of faerie. You pick an area of faerie to have gate knowledge for, and you can get to it from any place you have hidden lore gates for. Brown does not have his own kingdom -- why would trickster faeries hang out together? That's no fun at all.
Excellent. The idea behind the Kingdom of Brown was that it was just a corner of faerie where brownies and trickster fae could retreat to without angry high fae trying to murder them. In terms of the areas of faerie you mentioned, it'd mean a little chunk of The Corners that brownies used as a "safe" zone. Really isn't important, though.
Quote:
The Elven Courts: elven lords (and they are all lords) get fulfilment from bossing other fae around. No place for jokes like a sanctimonious court.
The Market: Fae gather to barter for deals with each other. This place is about services rather than goods, for the most part. Yet another great place for pranks -- tempers are on the edge, fae are out on limbs, and so forth.
The Corners: The parts of faerie closest to mortal cities. This area is mostly used as a place to hide or lurk during the day. While the other two have their own enforcement of sorts, the corners is a wild no-man's land.
Hmm. Okay, there's a couple of possibilities here. My initial inclination is to give Jack Hidden Lore (The Corners) from brief incursions, and make him depend on Brown as a Contact for anything else. Alternatively, I could say that Jack has been through much more of the fae to cause trouble, and give him some broader knowledge (and possibly a negative reputation, since he'd stand out). If either of these is preferable or problematic, let me know. EDIT: My current build is going with the latter, and replacing some of the scrapped disadvantages with a Elven Lord enemy (the idea being that he publicly humiliated him, but was seen/connected to what happened).

-
Quote:
Once again, this is available to either of our cursed characters.
I'm only marginally familiar with most of the character sheets, but the only one that I'm sure counts as cursed is Marcus Savage. Is Jack the other cursee, or did I miss somebody's sheet?

-

Post is too long, so I split it into two parts.

Last edited by Talosian; 01-21-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #137
Talosian

Part Two!

Everybody Else
In terms of character relationships:

Refplace: Jack might have encountered Mr. H, but probably nothing more than that. It's possible that Jack might have done something to **** him off in the past, but that's up to you.

Matrix: Jack could definitely have encountered Marcus in the past. Maybe they were hunting the same monster. Regardless, I figure Marcus could be one of Jack's contacts for giving the Vigilae a tip.

Michael Thayne: In all likelihood, any relationship between Jack and Hugh would have involved Hugh hunting Jack for his sprees of gleeful chaos. Lots of fun potential here.

Ransom: Brother Man's Intolerance (Supernatural) guarantees a rocky relationship between him and Jack. I assume that Man would see Jack as either an accomplice or a victim, and either one is guaranteed drama.

Lamech: Jack and Lara could get along quite well, since she has Xenophilia, and he's definitely unusual. Exactly what this would look like is up to you, since it depends on how her fascination with the "other" plays out.

Skullcrusher: Interactions between Jack and Randal depend on how The Insiders feel about the supernatural/Jack, and whether or not Randal would associate Jack with the fae that killed his family. Either way, they're similarly chaotic, though Jack might be somewhat horrified by how aggressively violent Randal is (Brown would only be mildly offended by the pedestrian nature of direct violence).
Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #138
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Skullcrusher, It appears I looked at your sheet and thought it wasn't changed because the ST boost still costs 9 points instead of the 6 that it should. I'm looking at your gear and deciding whether say good or call 'tech fest!'. I think I'm going to call it good. Yes, you used action heavily rather than MH (and wow, on second look it seems a lot of the stuff is the same but your program prefers actions), but it all in one place and easy to navigate (and not weighed down with options). Don't worry about rations, thats part of COL (which we are glossing over. It looks good other than you having three spare points.

Also, see the 'dual nature post below'.
Damn I forgot that I have extra points because the strength is cheaper. Also realized that his patron level wasn't increased. so overall I owe 2 points from somewhere. So I will let you know what I am trimming down.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #139
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Matrix, I'm sorry if I came across a little harsh, I have verified through several external sources I was grumpy in general yesterday. I think in most cases you mentioned the stuff to me and I didn't really get back to you.
Quote:
Clearly I overstepped a bit... As long as you're not grumpy with me, I'm all good!
Please use danger sense rather than precognition.
Check
Quote:
I think I'm going to rule against having effects insubstantial on ST. Let me describe why: most insubstantial foes will have proper weaknesses, often only insubstantial vs mortals. The ones who don't have such weaknesses aren't intended to be rendered substantial, and I'd probably just end up slapping cosmic on them. I suggest looking at dual nature (see below) to handle insubstantial enemies that are intended to be physically handled.
Check, I'll remove all the ST based Damage enhancements.
Quote:
a 300% enhancement to remove any supernatural or chi power sounds good, fair and proper to me. Place the old restrictions on it.
Are you referring to anything besides "only when drained 1 HP for each 10 points of powers-25%"? The sunlight thing has been off the sheet for a while... If it is my directive to put it on there, so be it (but I'd rather not if I can get away with it).

Given the nature of the drain, and that without the limitation, it would wipe out all powers instantly, would you confirm -25% is the value you want it?
Quote:
Yes, I was referring to having alternative enhancements on an alternative ability. Its not kosher, for mathematical reasons. Cap reliable at +4, halve the cost, and specify analysis only. If you want to add the other qualities, you can do so, but either the sense shouldn't be an alternate or you should pay full cost for them.
Check.
Quote:
Fill up the remaining points by increasing existing stuff or just falling short, and we should be good.
Sounds good...
Quote:
OPTION:
A great deal of supernatural abilities, particularly mind control, insubstantial, and invisibility, are dependent on whether a person is supernatural or mortal. Cursed ones, are by default, mortal. Dual nature is a feature that allows you to count as both supernatural or mortal in most situations. It's a feature: you can touch almost all insubstantial beings, see beings that are invisible to one or the other, and so forth. Both path of body and the appropriate supernatural type effect you. You can be effected by attacks that effect either kind of being, and are effected by true faith and thresholds. This is available to either of our cursed characters.

A variation on that is conscious dual nature: that is: Unusual Background (I can choose if I'm supernatural or mortal depending on the situation)[10]. Such characters can hold back their supernatural nature, or expose it, to individual effects. You ignore thresholds and attacks that only work against one side of your nature, and can interact with effects as either mortal or supernatural. Mages working against you need to be careful about which paths they choose to target what part of you, but Mages working with you can target either part of your nature. . Once again, this is available to either of our cursed characters.
Oooh a discriminatory supernatural nature, I like it!

...but can I find the room for it? ;)
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #140
Talosian

Mostly done with my revision, and I just had a thought (no-one's more surprised than I by this development).

Would it be reasonable to count the cinematic bardic skills as part of the Perform! skill?* Like with cinematic martial arts skills falling under Style!, but requiring a TBaM trait to unlock. This would save Jack some points now, and give him access to the other two bardic skills, but reduce his effective skill with them by one (because of relative skill levels and the relevant attribute).

Also, after I put them into GCS, I noticed that the values of some of Jack's abilities don't match up with your values. Unless you're calculating something differently they should be:
Illusion [62]
Invisibility [58]
Contact Group (Brown) [8]
And either a [10] ability got dropped accidentally, or you miscounted the final cost. It comes out to [87] in GCS right now ([86] if the Nuisance Effect on Night Vision is approved). Cost drops to [77/76] if you allow me to take Persistent off of Illusion.

*It took some effort for this sentence to not end with !?
**I honestly don't even want Jack to be using Captivate yet, so I'd be keeping that one in reserve for a dramatically appropriate moment.

Last edited by Talosian; 01-21-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement