Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-13-2022, 06:36 AM   #21
DanHoward

Default Re: Targeting the Eyes: rules questions

I don't understand why everyone doesn't save up for an invisible helmet. No eye holes means no way to target the eyes.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #22
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I don't understand why everyone doesn't save up for an invisible helmet. No eye holes means no way to target the eyes.
Ridiculously expensive? Ultra-rare? One thing I'd think would be useful when harvesting large monstors, nictating membrane. Say kill a dragon, then harvest the parts. Nictating membrane to use for helmet, helms. I think DR-3-6 armor for eyes that still lets you see.

Also extremely rare and expensive, but maybe not as much as invisible helmet.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:52 PM   #23
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
Ridiculously expensive? Ultra-rare? One thing I'd think would be useful when harvesting large monstors, nictating membrane. Say kill a dragon, then harvest the parts. Nictating membrane to use for helmet, helms. I think DR-3-6 armor for eyes that still lets you see.

Also extremely rare and expensive, but maybe not as much as invisible helmet.
Call it using the same price for Dragonhide armor. but applied only to the helm and/or faceplate... and just handwave that it has no eyeslits. Since it's not as thick, I'd allow it to be for Light Leather, not Heavy. So a DR 2 "light" Leather Dragon Eyelid Helm (with full face mask) would run $540.

Why Light Leather instead of Heavy? Price reduction, and reduction in "material strength". If they're making a full suit of Dragonhide... then sure, Heavy Leather all around, they're already spending an excess for 'coolness' factor.

Also note, at Light Leather prices it makes it comparable to an Invisible Helmet of equal DR value (slightly cheaper at the higher DRs, almost exact at the lower).
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:54 AM   #24
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Low- and no-mana areas?
Old 11-15-2022, 03:13 AM   #25
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Low- and no-mana areas?
Fast-Draw (Visor)
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:35 AM   #26
Dammann

Quote:
Low- and no-mana areas?
Just convinced me to add an invisible helmet to the loot in my dungeon, in which there are a few no-mana zones. That’s hilarious!
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #27
benz72

I'm thinking that with a little creative use of a Permanent spell (Earth to Stone) along with Shape Earth and/or the Sculpting skill one could get visors of clear quartz out of natural sand quite cheaply. Once it is formed it is just a specially shaped window.
Provided that the transparency is a natural property does anyone see a reason that bringing such an item into a no mana zone would affect it? If it does, would it also be detrimental to a steel sword that was shaped (not created) with magic?
If one worries about the brittle nature of a face shield like that it should even be possible to embed a wire mesh like safety glass windows.
Fancy ones could have breath holes that run at a steep angle, allowing (limited) air flow without providing a direct path to the face, and hopefully limiting fogging from exhaled moisture.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #28
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
I'm thinking that with a little creative use of a Permanent spell (Earth to Stone)...
Aside from the fact that DFRPG doesn't allow for permanent Earth to Stone, no, no reason not to do that...

Personally I'd allow a large enough quartz crystal to be cut (or Shape Earthed) to fit as a clearish visor (quartz isn't completely clear), however it would't have anything near the DR of steel as quartz peels and cleaves very easily.

If the PCs can find a large enough diamond, ruby, or sapphire and find a gemcutter with Shape Earth... now that's the direction to go for clear, durable, high DR face plating.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:19 PM   #29
DanHoward

Quote:
Low- and no-mana areas?
You lift up the visor or change it for a regular helmet until you leave the NM zone. Personally I would buy a helmet with two interchangeable visors - one with eye holes and one without. The latter would be rendered invisible when the money was available to pay for the enchantment.

Last edited by DanHoward; 11-21-2022 at 05:25 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:16 AM   #30
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Fast-Draw (Visor)
Assuming the delver realizes what has actually happened when the gm says "you can't see". Hope the wizard doesn't critically fail. Or the delver isn't too far in the lead.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote