Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2022, 05:51 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Deciding whether to step after seeing results of an attack

If you make an attack (specifically as part of an Attack maneuver) without stepping first, can you decide whether to step after seeing the results of all relevant rolls? I'm particularly thinking of the decision of whether to kneel after a takedown, Judo Throw, or Sweep, but there are other cases where this could be relevant—say, when attacking at Reach 1, you might want to step forward if and only if your opponent goes down from the attack.

(As an aside, it's not wholly clear to me that you actually need to kneel to maintain a grapple on an opponent who drops into a prone, kneeling, or sitting position, or whether you just need to kneel to start the grapple. But assuming the former, this question could be really important!)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:39 PM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: Deciding whether to step after seeing results of an attack

I see no reason why you can't decide after the attack. After all, if you're intending to kill someone and step into their hex you can't very well do that if they're not downed by your attack.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:10 PM   #3
Farmer

B368 says "most" manoeuvres allow a step before or after another action. 386 in tactical combat specifically mentions the "step" and lists Attack and Ready as exemplar manoeuvres. There is no listed prohibition, so the "mostly" applies, and you can step before or after an attack, subject to their being space, and all the usual restrictions on movement.

Also checked MA (as that often has updated or clarified or expanded rules on these sorts of things), and there's nothing specifically about steps.

So I see no issue either in terms of rules or practical application. You have "about 1 second" and your attack should generally leave plenty of time for you to react (step or not) based on outcomes (so long as the outcome you're defining as a trigger is pretty much instantaneous after the attack).
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
If you make an attack (specifically as part of an Attack maneuver) without stepping first, can you decide whether to step after seeing the results of all relevant rolls?
I don't see why not, I'd actually go a step further (though I think it's a house rule) and let you 'wait' to use your step at any point leading up to your next turn (allowing you to use it the instant before to get sort of a quick double-step)

If however you're taking that step during someone else's turn in reaction to something they're doing you should need to specify the trigger ahead of time much like you would a wait maneuver.

In this case insetad of a wait maneuver it's like a "wait action" where you're splitting your maneuveru p and applying a wait to part but not all.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote