Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #11
KarlKost

Default Re: Ghost-like character who can only affect certain marked people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
For becoming visible and vulnerable to those who are Marked, I'd be inclined to just call that a -5% Limitation on each of Invisibility and Insubstantiality.

Note this means there's no "ability" to let the spirit Mark people - it simply can, on account of the way the other abilities are set. Note also this assumes the Mark's only effects are when interacting with this spirit - if someone who is so Marked can see and attack other spirits (like a Servant in The Zombie Knight Saga), that's a different story.
This.

The "Mark" is just fluff, or a special effect. If there's anything more to it, like "other ghosts can see the mark" it could be a -1 Quirk; if they can use it against the ghost that marked the mortals it could be a Nuisance effect limitation on both advantages, and if only the Ghost that marked the people can see the marks, it would be a +1 Perk. If the "Mark" cant be seeing by anyone (not even the ghost that marked the person), it's a 0 points special effect.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #12
Coinage

Quote:
My inclination would be to put Affects Substantial on Insubstantiality, and then apply Accessibility: The Marked on that Enhancement. Use the Accessibility guidelines from Powers and/or Power Ups 8: Limitations. Because the spirit has a certain degree of control over who is Marked (it can set them itself, although it can't change them without the Marked's death), I'd be inclined to adjust the final value by +10% or +20% (so a spirit who can only Mark one person would have a -60% or -70% Limitation, rather than a -80%). If the spirit is mute (because it can't communicate with the material world), I'd give it a counteracting Not Mute Advantage and apply the same Accessibility to it.

For becoming visible and vulnerable to those who are Marked, I'd be inclined to just call that a -5% Limitation on each of Invisibility and Insubstantiality.

Note this means there's no "ability" to let the spirit Mark people - it simply can, on account of the way the other abilities are set. Note also this assumes the Mark's only effects are when interacting with this spirit - if someone who is so Marked can see and attack other spirits (like a Servant in The Zombie Knight Saga), that's a different story.
Okay, so based on what you are saying.

The Ghost-form would have a version of Affliction (B36), that would grant 1st) See Invisible (B83; P72), maybe with the True Sight advantage (B73); 2nd) Modify ST-Based Damage (B146) so that it Affects Insubstantial (B102).

Then, the Ghost-form would have Insubstantiality (B62), with the enhancemnet Affect Substantiality (B63), with the limitation Accessibility: The Marked on that Enhancement, using your recommendations.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #13
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Medium also wouldn't allow you to interact physically with the ghost, it only does communications.

Insubstantial characters can interact physically with each other (as long as they're "using the same form of Insubstantiality"), so mechanically, this seems like it would be equivalent to
Affliction (Insubstantiality (Always On, -50%; Only for interactions with this one ghost, -X%)).
(Would make sense, if it works like the ghost dragging somebody partially into its "ghost world").
Since modifiers can't add up to a discount of more than -80% and "Only for interactions with this one ghost" definitely seems worth more than -30%, its exact value wouldn't actually matter - the cost of the Insubstantiality advantage you'd be Afflicting would still be 16 points, for a +160% enhancement to Affliction.
Then you'd need the Affliction itself to have Permanent, +300%, and on the other hand a Limitation for "can only affect a limited number of people at a time". Note that I think, though I'm not sure, that a Permanent Affliction has to have a possible way of curing it. It can be an obscure one, but there has to be one.
Thanks for your reply. I would not use Affliction on the Marked to make them Insubstantial. I just want the Marked to be able to Physically communicate, interact, and even fight, with the Ghost-form.

Your point about the Affliction (B35) with the enhancement Extended Duration: Permanent [+300%] (B103). I think the limitation Accessibility: affects X number of people would work. There was an earlier post by Varyon who covered this:

Quote:

Re: Ghost-like character who can only affect certain marked people?
My inclination would be to put Affects Substantial on Insubstantiality, and then apply Accessibility: The Marked on that Enhancement. Use the Accessibility guidelines from Powers and/or Power Ups 8: Limitations. Because the spirit has a certain degree of control over who is Marked (it can set them itself, although it can't change them without the Marked's death), I'd be inclined to adjust the final value by +10% or +20% (so a spirit who can only Mark one person would have a -60% or -70% Limitation, rather than a -80%). If the spirit is mute (because it can't communicate with the material world), I'd give it a counteracting Not Mute Advantage and apply the same Accessibility to it.

For becoming visible and vulnerable to those who are Marked, I'd be inclined to just call that a -5% Limitation on each of Invisibility and Insubstantiality
I think that is a good way to price it.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #14
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Okay, so based on what you are saying.

The Ghost-form would have a version of Affliction
Nope, let me stop you there - the Ghost-form does not have Affliction. The ability to Mark things isn't a distinct Advantage, rather it is an aspect of the Limitations applied to some other Advantages. Specifically, "Only on the Marked" would apply to Affects Substantial and Not Mute, and both Insubstantiality and Invisibility would have a small "Not Against the Marked -5%" Limitation.

If you really want to put "Can Mark up to n people" somewhere on the character sheet, make it a Feature or maybe a Perk.

Again, this is assuming a Marked character only gains the ability to interact with the Ghost-form.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #15
KarlKost

Quote:
Nope, let me stop you there - the Ghost-form does not have Affliction. The ability to Mark things isn't a distinct Advantage, rather it is an aspect of the Limitations applied to some other Advantages. Specifically, "Only on the Marked" would apply to Affects Substantial and Not Mute, and both Insubstantiality and Invisibility would have a small "Not Against the Marked -5%" Limitation.

If you really want to put "Can Mark up to n people" somewhere on the character sheet, make it a Feature or maybe a Perk.

Again, this is assuming a Marked character only gains the ability to interact with the Ghost-form.
This again.

If the Marked can interact with ANY Ghost, than it is ENTIRELY different. Remove all those limitations for Insubstantiality and Invisibility and add the.Ability Affliction (Advantage: Medium, See Invisible and Affects Insubstantial), with the +300% enhancement for permanent
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #16
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
the Unmanifested Spirit has a "Marking Ability". When in Ghost-form, can "mark" certain characters. These Marked characters can be interacted with normally. The "Ghost-form" can communicate with a Marked character, is visible to Marked character, communicate to the Marked character, and use its powers on the Marked character. However, the "Ghost-form" can also be harmed by, and killed by, the Marked character. In addition, the Ghost-form can only mark a certain number of normal people, sort of like having only a certain amount of bullets in a gun. Once the people are Marked, that Marked character stays marked until they die. When the Marked character dies, then the Mark returns to the Ghost-form to be used again.

My question is this: How would I stat out the "Marking Ability"? Any ideas would be helpful, thank you.
Do you have any maximum ability of marked people or could you hypothetically mark everyone if you had enough time? You thinking some kind of affliction to represent this?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:11 PM   #17
Coinage

Quote:

Okay. I see what you mean.

No, Affliction. Rather, it is merely an ability that pre-exists due to the nature of the Accessibiity limitation on the Affects Substantial enhancement of the Insubstantiality advantage of the Ghost-form. IYO, it would be a Feature, or a Perk.

You are right, my intention is that the the Marked character does ONLY gain the ability to interact with the Ghost-form.

This does raise the question of projectile weaponry, however. Would that be included?

That is a tricky question. Would a bullet fired from a gun held by a Marked character affect the Ghost-form?
Old 05-25-2022, 06:14 PM   #18
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Do you have any maximum ability of marked people or could you hypothetically mark everyone if you had enough time? You thinking some kind of affliction to represent this?
My guess is that the maximum would probably be about a dozen people. I think that previous posts had said that the ability to Mark people would simply be a Feature (or Perk) of a pre-existing Accessibility ("affects only Marked characters") limitation for the Affects Material enhancement for the advantage Insubstantiality.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #19
Lovewyrm

Quote:

It's not an advantage to be intangible to most people at will?

1.) Ghost sees victim
2.) Ghost goes'th behind victim
3.) Ghost marks victim (nobody else sees it or can interact with it)
4.) Ghost chokes victim (ok the victim can struggle but what if it's smothering in bed?)
5.) Ghost kills victim
6.) Noone there to see it.

I mean technically it's a very uncommon amount of people who are marked.
But also technically it can be done often, in theory anyway.

How about a magical, sentient dagger or shortsword or something, it's the same as the ghost only it can stab people it marks and it has a great bloodlust.

Dagger flies into a group of people, marks the victim, stabs it behind the collarbone (major artery there), mark bleeds out rather quickly. Noone can grasp it other than the mark who's pretty much dead now.
Mark is pronounced dead, dagger can mark someone new, flies to the next victim.

Sure you only have one mark in this case, but you can do a whole lot of malice with it.

But yeah, I'm new at GURPS, I just read before that points are given for utility or something. Like, how useful something is.
Isn't this quite useful even if the OP only cited some comedic use for it?

Edit:
I think what I am getting at is 'resistance rolls' for this, or something.
If it's just a limitation and not a malediction etc, then well...I guess if it's a malediction and it's just a quick contest or something then rolling against it while hidden is just a nuisance roll anyway, but, you know?
A selective, willful ability to put on people? I mean sure it's been phrased now like it's the other way around and marked people are the exception but if the ghost doesn't mark anyone then everyone is unmarked and thus the ghost has complete insubstantiality.

Last edited by Lovewyrm; 05-25-2022 at 07:38 PM.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:22 PM   #20
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
It's not an advantage to be intangible to most people at will?

1.) Ghost sees victim
2.) Ghost goes'th behind victim
3.) Ghost marks victim (nobody else sees it or can interact with it)
4.) Ghost chokes victim (ok the victim can struggle but what if it's smothering in bed?)
5.) Ghost kills victim
6.) Noone there to see it.

I mean technically it's a very uncommon amount of people who are marked.
But also technically it can be done often, in theory anyway.

How about a magical, sentient dagger or shortsword or something, it's the same as the ghost only it can stab people it marks and it has a great bloodlust.

Dagger flies into a group of people, marks the victim, stabs it behind the collarbone (major artery there), mark bleeds out rather quickly. Noone can grasp it other than the mark who's pretty much dead now.
Mark is pronounced dead, dagger can mark someone new, flies to the next victim.

Sure you only have one mark in this case, but you can do a whole lot of malice with it.

But yeah, I'm new at GURPS, I just read before that points are given for utility or something. Like, how useful something is.
Isn't this quite useful even if the OP only cited some comedic use for it?
I see what you mean.

I do not even think that the dagger is necessary. I could just make the Mark be forced to work at a specific distance. Like "one must be at a distance of 1 km, no closer or no further, to Mark a target." Or something like that.

Last edited by Coinage; 05-25-2022 at 10:48 PM.