Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
vitruvian

Default Re: Have I Got Jumping Velocity Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
??? It works out for arrows shot into the air with a bow, which is fairly parabolic, I believe.
It doesn't for arrows shot at a 45 degree angle, either. I assumed you worked it out for flatter trajectories, but if you go for a parabola based off of 45 degree takeoff, range goes as the square of velocity, ignoring air resistance.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Ok ruling from Kromm.

So it appears that they get to move their full move in 1 turn as a genre convention. Which is fine and after all waiting for a few turns to land while realistic IS boring.
So if they get to move the full distance in 1 turn that changes their velocity and it all works out.
Wonder if that could be an enhancement for Supers games and what % it would be. +50% Cosmic to ignore a rule? That matches the instant acceleration on Enhanced Move too.
yep. off to rebuild my tree frogs I think..... (they were done right but just jumped shorter distance unless surprising you. This just makes them cooler.)

Edit: By the way I do not have DF 2. Different jumping formula? Someone should have mentioned that in this thread. Does the math work with it?
Just searched DF 1 and DF 2, and there's no mention in either of jumping with Super Jump working differently than Basic says, so I don't know how anybody could possibly have known about this being the genre convention Kromm mentions, but oh well.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
It doesn't for arrows shot at a 45 degree angle, either. I assumed you worked it out for flatter trajectories, but if you go for a parabola based off of 45 degree takeoff, range goes as the square of velocity, ignoring air resistance.
Yep. My bad. Range(yds) = 0.34 x KE / Ma (mass of arrow).

I remembered range being linear in something, and it was energy; DAMAGE is linear in velocity, which is where I got mixed up.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #24
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasong View Post
The optimal broad jump distance has equal vertical and horizontal velocity, which makes it easy to calculate velocity. Take your maximum broad jump distance:

Velocity = the square root of (distance in yards x 5).

Hang-time is distance divided by horizontal velocity; or vertical velocity x 0.2. Both come out to the same value, use whichever is easier for you.

Vertical distance uses the Falling Velocity Table on p. B431. Look down the velocity column and find your velocity, then shift over to the fall column to find out how high you went at the mid-point of the broad jump.

Example: Kermit
Kermit has Move 3 and Super Jump 6. This gives him a broad jump of 64 yards. His vertical and horizontal velocity is 17.9 yards per second (giving him a hang-time of 3.58 seconds, and a vertical height of 15 yards).

With a running start, Kermit can manage a broad jump of 128 yards. Velocity is 25.3 yards per second (hang-time 5 seconds, vertical height 28 yards).

Example: Hulk
Hulk has Move 10 and Super Jump 11. This gives him a broad jump of 4,800 yards (or 2.7 miles). His vertical and horizontal velocity are 155 yards per second (giving him a hang-time of 31 seconds, and a vertical height of 1,123 yards, or 0.6 miles).

With a running start, Hulk can manage a broad jump of 9,600 yards. Velocity is 219 yards per second (hang-time 43.8 seconds, vertical height 2,240 yards).

Note: Realistically, Hulk's leaps exceed terminal velocity. With a torpedo-like shape and human density, terminal velocity of 100 yards per second caps the maximum broad jump at 2,000 yards (1.1 miles).
Very nice writeup! Avoids the problem with my stab at it by not trying to change how jumping distance is figured, but works back to vertical and horizontal velocity neatly according to the same principles. Easy enough to round to a whole figure for velocity to use in Slam calculations.

Of course, it occurs to me that technically a Slam from above by leaping should use the velocity for your total vector, both horizontal and vertical, which for a 45 degree angle of 'landing' comes to square root of 2 x the vertical or horizontal component, so approximately 1.4 times as fast.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Just searched DF 1 and DF 2, and there's no mention in either of jumping with Super Jump working differently than Basic says, so I don't know how anybody could possibly have known about this being the genre convention Kromm mentions, but oh well.
The point is that DF doesn't state its genre conventions. It just uses them. The goal of our genre redux series is to present ready-to-go content equivalent to reading core GURPS books, cherry-picking the content you like, making a bunch of house rules to keep things moving quickly, and cooking up lots of worked examples. These series don't refer to lots of other books, explain their rulings, or assume the reader is a GURPS expert . . . they cite their rulings as the whole of the law for new gamers. Long explanations are among the things that people who "just" want to do flat-out dungeon-crawl games, say, find exasperating about full-on GURPS, which is why we didn't bother with such explanations.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
Bruno

It could also work by assigning the monster a bunch of move (limited to enhance it's jumping velocity only) or an enhancement on its super jump (to improve jumping velocity and therefore reduce hang time). Which might be omitted from the writeup, like other things tend to be, simply because it's a bunch of fiddly details and you really only need the damage.

Or you could just assign it damage. There isn't actually a RULE in GURPS that forbids just assigning damage to a monster. :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The point is that DF doesn't state its genre conventions. It just uses them. The goal of our genre redux series is to present ready-to-go content equivalent to reading core GURPS books, cherry-picking the content you like, making a bunch of house rules to keep things moving quickly, and cooking up lots of worked examples. These series don't refer to lots of other books, explain their rulings, or assume the reader is a GURPS expert . . . they cite their rulings as the whole of the law for new gamers. Long explanations are among the things that people who "just" want to do flat-out dungeon-crawl games, say, find exasperating about full-on GURPS, which is why we didn't bother with such explanations.
They still use Basic, though, so I still have no idea how I would have known that Super Jump didn't work as described in Characters.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
... or an enhancement on its super jump (to improve jumping velocity and therefore reduce hang time)...
Or just give it another level or two of Super Jump and only talk about its 1-second jump distance in the notes about how it fights. Or a quick sentence about the difference between its 1-second jump and a 5-second jump would have made the turtle even more interesting, IMO. You're running away from it and it's coming after you in these great 5-second jumps would be cool to describe ("Shoot it! Shoot it!").
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Or just give it another level or two of Super Jump and only talk about its 1-second jump distance in the notes about how it fights. Or a quick sentence about the difference between its 1-second jump and a 5-second jump would have made the turtle even more interesting, IMO. You're running away from it and it's coming after you in these great 5-second jumps would be cool to describe ("Shoot it! Shoot it!").
Or just a quick note about Super Jump in DF-

*Since the object of DF is to keep things simple, ignore the stuff about jumping Move being 1/5 of jumping distance on B## and just let characters and monsters jump their full distance in one turn, making distance and jumping Move equivalent.

Or even shorter... even that's a little verbose.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
They still use Basic, though, so I still have no idea how I would have known that Super Jump didn't work as described in Characters.
Presumably you are supposed to just use the stat-block as is, without trying to dissect it in the first place.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jump, slam