Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
Gurps Fan

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Are mollusks susceptible to Arm Lock and Leg Lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
You could just apply the same +50% Extra Flexible enhancement to the legs. Not strictly RAW, but seems consistent with it. It may actually be worth less than +50% if there is less utility to flexible legs than arms.
Extra Arm (Extra-Flexible) adds one extra arm that's flexible, but does nothing to the two existing arms. If that enhancement is allowed on Extra Legs, that would make the two extra legs flexible, but would do nothing to the two existing legs.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Extra Arm (Extra-Flexible) adds one extra arm that's flexible, but does nothing to the two existing arms. If that enhancement is allowed on Extra Legs, that would make the two extra legs flexible, but would do nothing to the two existing legs.
A technicality. As per B55, the cost of a modification to your existing two legs is worth 0.1 * the percentage increase/decrease of the enhancement/limitation.

Porting over Extra-Flexible (50%) would cost 5 points per leg. This seems a bit steep, since it is of far less use to legs. This is based on the increase in the cost of an extra arm (50% of 10 points).

We can apply this to legs, as well, I do believe. Examining the cost of Extra Legs in different levels, it appears that two additional legs is roughly worth 5 points (or 2.5 points per leg). Now 50% of 2.5 points is 1.25. You can then multiply this by the number of legs you have (4) and get a cost of 5 points for all them to be tentacles. That seems reasonable to me.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
Mathulhu

Put the Flexible enhancement on the two original arms.
Buy six Extra Arms with the Flexible Enhancement.
Take the feature No Legs (Slithers) 0.

That would make something that moves around like an octopus on the sea floor.

Normally the down side of the No Legs (Replacement) features is that a random hit to the legs now hits the torso. Your DM might accept random leg hits now hit a random arm.
Mathulhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
Normally the down side of the No Legs (Replacement) features is that a random hit to the legs now hits the torso. Your DM might accept random leg hits now hit a random arm.
That's not a down side at all; it's actually the upside. The downside is that you are incapable of kicking. Judging by what Gurps Fan has said so far, I'm guessing he wants to still be able to smack things with his feet-tentacles (feetacles?).

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
(Or am I misunderstanding something and mollusks should actually be susceptible to locks?)
Sorry for the pedantry but you probably want to narrow your terminology. You really only seem interested in pseudo-cephaolpods and cephalopods are only one sub-set of mollusks.

The great bulk of mollusks belong to the gastropod groups (snails and slugs) with many other members of the bivalve group (clams and so forth).

So most mollusks _are_ immune to Arm Lock and Leg Lock due to a lack of arms and legs. This is the point which confused me when I saw you're title. :)
Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
A technicality. As per B55, the cost of a modification to your existing two legs is worth 0.1 * the percentage increase/decrease of the enhancement/limitation.

Porting over Extra-Flexible (50%) would cost 5 points per leg. This seems a bit steep, since it is of far less use to legs. This is based on the increase in the cost of an extra arm (50% of 10 points).

We can apply this to legs, as well, I do believe. Examining the cost of Extra Legs in different levels, it appears that two additional legs is roughly worth 5 points (or 2.5 points per leg). Now 50% of 2.5 points is 1.25. You can then multiply this by the number of legs you have (4) and get a cost of 5 points for all them to be tentacles. That seems reasonable to me.
I think I see your point. However, after a close examination of p. B55, I found an interesting sentence: "You can apply the following modifiers to all your legs", just above the Special Enhancements section. It suggests that enhancements on Extra Legs work on an all-or-nothing basis, not a per-leg basis. Therefore,
  • Two-legged creature whose two legs are flexible: 5 points (= 1/10 of the percentile value of Extra-Flexible).
  • Three- or four-legged creature whose three or four legs are flexible: 8 points (= Extra Legs [5] plus +50%, rounds up).
  • Five- or six-legged creature whose five or six legs are flexible: 15 points (= Extra Legs [10] plus +50%).
  • Seven- or more-legged creature whose all legs are flexible: 23 points (= Extra Legs [15] plus +50%, rounds up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
Put the Flexible enhancement on the two original arms.
Buy six Extra Arms with the Flexible Enhancement.
Take the feature No Legs (Slithers) 0.
See this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
I assume that my character is not so entirely octopoid; rather, he's more like a human-like upright creature who just happens to have no bones and joints, and he always walks on four legs and grabs with four hands.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Sorry for the pedantry but you probably want to narrow your terminology. You really only seem interested in pseudo-cephaolpods and cephalopods are only one sub-set of mollusks.

The great bulk of mollusks belong to the gastropod groups (snails and slugs) with many other members of the bivalve group (clams and so forth).

So most mollusks _are_ immune to Arm Lock and Leg Lock due to a lack of arms and legs. This is the point which confused me when I saw you're title. :)
Oh, sorry, English is difficult for me.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Oh, sorry, English is difficult for me.
That's alright. This is more Marine Biology than English anyway. Very specialized vocabulary.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
The point value of Legless is -30; I seem to recall from Transhuman Space: Changing Times that No Legs (Portable), which gives you no means of moving yourself around but lets someone else carry you, is about the same. That suggests that the point cost of the first two legs is 30. A 50% enhancement would cost 15 added points. So going from human normal to having two tentacular legs would be 15 points.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The point value of Legless is -30; I seem to recall from Transhuman Space: Changing Times that No Legs (Portable), which gives you no means of moving yourself around but lets someone else carry you, is about the same. That suggests that the point cost of the first two legs is 30. A 50% enhancement would cost 15 added points. So going from human normal to having two tentacular legs would be 15 points.
That's inconsistent with Basic Set. That calculation would conclude that having two legs that can't kick would be worth -15 points (Cannot Kick, -50% of 30 points), but actually it's -5 points. See p. B55.

Tags
flexibility, kicking, kromm explanation