Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #1021
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

My school started having a city police officer on-campus in the last few weeks of my senior year. I think it was supposed to make us feel safer, because I don't really see it changing much, practically speaking.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #1022
William

Nazi gold, secret undermountain city in Poland, lost train tunnels.

What, you want more? The story has attracted hordes of enthusiastic treasure seekers, unscrupulous grave robbers, concerned archaeologists, the Polish Army (because of possible land mines), and at least one death so far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimes
a 35-year-old man who the authorities said died when he fell while trying to break into a tomb near the city of Walbrzych three weeks ago. The tomb belonged to the von Kramst family, German owners of a Silesian textile empire, and was rumored to be full of treasure.
Tch... that's the problem with single-player parties. One good trap makes a TPK.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #1023
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
I don't think I ever attended a school that routinely had police on the premises.
Seems common for colleges and universities to have their own security, which sometimes even have Legal Enforcement Powers. I'd never heard of departments specifically for primary schools until that post a little while back about San Diego acquiring an MRAP.

Maybe there's some reason that it's worthwhile for a big city to have a department organized by the type of place protected, rather than strictly geographic districts. Or more cynically, maybe it's just a way to get people to vote for more total police funding, which they'd do "for the children" but not for the force in general.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #1024
ak_aramis

Yeah, police in the schools a big city US thing.

My district (I work for them) has no law enforcement of its own.

All the high schools have a full time "School Resource Officer" (SRO) to deal with criminal matters on school grounds, and to provide student access to police out of view of parents. This is a full time APD officer.

The Middle Schools have 1/2 time or 3/4 time SROs.
The Elementary schools share an SRO amongst 5-8 schools, and he/she is there about 6 hours per week delivering the (very unsuccessful) D.A.R.E program, and 1 hour a week outside that window.

Which means that, of the 324 APD officers, about 20 are dedicated to school police presence.

Not that the schools don't have security - the middle and high schools all have paid security personnel, trained specifically for takedown and tackle of youth, and search of bags and students. (They are not generic security guards, either. They're district hired, district trained, and governed by different licensure rules from standard security officers.)

Elementary schools now have remote unlocking front doors with cameras. No security staff, but that's coming soon, I suspect.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #1025
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
What, you want more? The story has attracted hordes of enthusiastic treasure seekers, unscrupulous grave robbers, concerned archaeologists, the Polish Army (because of possible land mines), and at least one death so far:

Tch... that's the problem with single-player parties. One good trap makes a TPK.
I'm going to just pretend without reading more that his name was Chester Copperpot and his body was discovered by a more successful group of treasure seeking kids.

(Goonies reference.)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #1026
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm going to just pretend without reading more that his name was Chester Copperpot and his body was discovered by a more successful group of treasure seeking kids.

(Goonies reference.)
It's been a very long time since I saw that movie, so I don't get the reference. But I have to ask, was he a proper Copperpot?

Hans

Last edited by Hans Rancke-Madsen; 09-30-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #1027
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
It's been a very long time since I sdaw that movie, so I don't get the reference. But I hve to ask, was he a proper Copperpot?

Hans
It was his map the kids found that started the adventure along with a newspaper chronicling his disappearance. It was also his skeletal remains they stumbled onto under the wishing well.

Proper in what way?
Old 09-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #1028
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Proper in what way?
The sort of copper pot you use to make a proper cup of coffee in. It's an old variety song (I think). Here's a youtube link to a rendition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXw4MbbTp3Y

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #1029
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
"No, if you point out the obvious nobody will think you're insightful, edgy or cool. They will think you are 12."

I like her. :-)
Me, too. She'd be fun to have a beer with, I think. She'd probably have some pretty funny stories.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:32 AM   #1030
Daigoro

Don't think we have a Real Life Locations thread, so I'll post this here for now.

Tokyo’s Incredible Underground Flood Defence Systems

Need a supers, cyberpunk or monster hunters location? A villain's lair, or the target of their apocalyptic plan? Just like underground megastructures?

Doco video
Intro article
Nice pic
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 10-03-2015 at 03:37 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox