Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
nudj

Default RPM question

I've been thinking of using RPM in a fantasy game. Looking at GURPS Thaumotology RPM, i see that Fireball is a greater create energy effect and costs 6 points per +1d. I also see that lesser destroy body causes damage at 2 points per +1d if the tech in the setting allows that level of damage from a hand held or ranged weapon.

That's a big difference in cost. Can I apply the setting rule to a fireball? Even in a TL 3 game, 12 fatigue for a 2d fireball seems ridiculous.

Thanks

nudj
nudj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:25 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: RPM question

Certainly!
What is a Greater or Lesser effect is very much a GM decision, largely based on the setting and how the GM wants magic to work.

In a high fantasy setting I might run RPM with almost nothing requiring a Greater Effect.
Or I might break it down by specialty or something. Say use RPM for both clerical and wizard magic. Then give Clerics healing as lesser but wizards as Greater - or just ban them from it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:37 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Energy isn't FP, and 12 isn't a lot to gather when preparing spells as conditionals or charms.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudj View Post
I've been thinking of using RPM in a fantasy game. Looking at GURPS Thaumotology RPM, i see that Fireball is a greater create energy effect and costs 6 points per +1d. I also see that lesser destroy body causes damage at 2 points per +1d if the tech in the setting allows that level of damage from a hand held or ranged weapon.

That's a big difference in cost. Can I apply the setting rule to a fireball? Even in a TL 3 game, 12 fatigue for a 2d fireball seems ridiculous.

Thanks

nudj
FP does not equal energy (as has been noted). That greater effect can exceed the limits of the lesser. That's pretty much it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:34 PM   #5
nudj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
FP does not equal energy (as has been noted). That greater effect can exceed the limits of the lesser. That's pretty much it.
I misspoke when is said fatigue. If you are in a battle, 12 energy is hard to gather quickly. When you say “the greater can exceed the limits of the lesser”, what do you mean in the fireball context? Do you mean the GM decides, or do you mean some specific thing that is exceeded with fireball and Greater create energy, that is not exceeded with lesser destroy body.

Please forgive my lack of understanding of something that is probably obvious
Old 11-15-2022, 06:38 PM   #6
nudj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Energy isn't FP, and 12 isn't a lot to gather when preparing spells as conditionals or charms.
So is that a default assumption in RPM? That you are not doing things spontaneously in battle?
Old 11-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #7
naloth

Quote:
So is that a default assumption in RPM? That you are not doing things spontaneously in battle?
My very limited experience with RPM is that casters have good utility and excellent buffing abilities but aren't that great as warriors. Charms give you a limited set of tricks, but you want to save those for when you really need it.

If that suits your tastes, it works well for that. If you want spontaneous magic I'd suggest using using Sorcery instead.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
I misspoke when is said fatigue. If you are in a battle, 12 energy is hard to gather quickly. When you say “the greater can exceed the limits of the lesser”, what do you mean in the fireball context? Do you mean the GM decides, or do you mean some specific thing that is exceeded with fireball and Greater create energy, that is not exceeded with lesser destroy body.

I think he pretty much means what I said. The GM choose what qualifies as Lesser or Greater Effects. The more things that are Lesser Effect the more effective a caster is.

Quote:
Even with Ritual Adept it can be a problem coming up with enough energy fast enough. So you want to have charms premade so you can quickly get your spells off. You are limited in how many you can have but don't need them for most noncombat effects. Charms are essential to effective magical combat.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #9
nudj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think he pretty much means what I said. The GM choose what qualifies as Lesser or Greater Effects. The more things that are Lesser Effect the more effective a caster is.

Even with Ritual Adept it can be a problem coming up with enough energy fast enough. So you want to have charms premade so you can quickly get your spells off. You are limited in how many you can have but don't need them for most noncombat effects. Charms are essential to effective magical combat.
I see. That helps, thanks!
Old 11-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

RPM is basically "the player proposes and the GM disposes." The GM should have their hands in everything a player does until that player proves that they know what sort of things the GM wants to allow or not and how it interacts with the setting.

So the fireball example: Yes. You could use Path of Energy to call up a fireball and throw it and do as much damage as the GM allows and spend the required time to gather the energy for it. You could also use that time to use Path of Body for a lesser effect multiple times. The values of damage just depends on what you need it for and how fast you need it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic