Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #721
Varyon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well surely you could also just start firing into the wormhole to destroy the defenses before going through. If you don't need to retreat immediately, the fact that wormholes are one way probably works in your favor. I recall schemes where they fired a laser or something at the iris which caused it to slowly melt (the continuous beam caused the 38 minute time limit to be suspended). I feel that "unscheduled wormhole detected" is probably one of those pants filling sentences.
The 38 minute limit was still in play in that scenario, it's just that OpFor was able to dial out faster than SGC's manual dialer could manage. As for firing into the wormhole, that's a lot of ammunition you're blind firing, and it wouldn't be too difficult for the defenders to set up a kill box where you cannot shoot at them until you're through the gate (basically set your defenders to the sides and behind/above... or just have cover they can hide behind until the attackers stop shooting and start pouring through).
Old 05-30-2023, 12:00 PM   #722
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I recall schemes where they fired a laser or something at the iris which caused it to slowly melt (the continuous beam caused the 38 minute time limit to be suspended).
I never saw that episode and I don't think it would work. Nothing materializes if the wormhole exit isn't clear (though sometimes things make a thumping noise when they fail to materilaize).

Gates are only one way for solid matter. Radio and TV signal go both ways. If they didn't you couldn't use garage door openers or MALFs. Of course, if multiple kinds of EM radiation go through a gate in either direction lasers should too but I don't remember anyone ever exploiting that.. Most Goa'uld and other energy weapons appear to be plasma-based.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:28 PM   #723
adm

YES
and seven (7)

The missing gates can be in one of the lost, or first, stations, and is how Earthers get there.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:36 PM   #724
Prince Charon

Poll remains open, but I'm seeing a pretty clear trend toward YES on the first question, and a less clear trend toward 7 on the second.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:19 PM   #725
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I never saw that episode and I don't think it would work. Nothing materializes if the wormhole exit isn't clear (though sometimes things make a thumping noise when they fail to materilaize).

Gates are only one way for solid matter. Radio and TV signal go both ways. If they didn't you couldn't use garage door openers or MALFs. Of course, if multiple kinds of EM radiation go through a gate in either direction lasers should too but I don't remember anyone ever exploiting that.. Most Goa'uld and other energy weapons appear to be plasma-based.
Sokar used a particle beam in Serpent's Song to try to cut through the iris and lock the gate from being dialed out.

Which Samantha Carter then built het own and used when O'Neill was stranded and the gate was blocked by a melted layer of metal and buried. She was able to clear it enough with abeam that it would engage enough to create a chamber that they could dig out from.

Last edited by dcarson; 06-01-2023 at 07:24 PM.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #726
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
As for firing into the wormhole, that's a lot of ammunition you're blind firing, and it wouldn't be too difficult for the defenders to set up a kill box where you cannot shoot at them until you're through the gate
I was more thinking that you blind fire through the gate then nearly immediately send the poor bloody infantry through. Ideally the enemy is disordered and can't adequately respond. Or for that matter fire through a big explosive shell to demolish everything on either side of the gate. Stargates seem to be made of rather stern stuff.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:48 PM   #727
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Or for that matter fire through a big explosive shell to demolish everything on either side of the gate. Stargates seem to be made of rather stern stuff.
What SGC described as a "gatebuster" was a _large_ naquada enhanced nuclear warhead.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:57 PM   #728
Prince Charon

Should the next Question stick with the Chain of Astarte, or switch to one of the other local races, or some other thing (and if another subject, which subject)?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:57 AM   #729
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Should the next Question stick with the Chain of Astarte, or switch to one of the other local races, or some other thing (and if another subject, which subject)?
Well I suppose I could try to help resuscitate this before it sinks. Some ideas:

1) What does the architecture/fashion of the Chain of Astarte look like?

2) How do the various local groups interrelate?

3) The Chain of Astarte was mentioned to be a multi-species government. What species are included?

4) What customs have emerged in the Chain of Astarte relating to living in asteroids?

5) Who are the local system lords? What is their policy to the other local groups?

6) What does the Chain of Astarte trade in?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #730
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Tech Systems!

More about the System Lords!

What do Spaceships look like!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding