Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Healing

Healing with the enhancement to cure afflictions is tricky to replicate by other means, I think. The baseline disease-curing function could probably be substituted with afflicting Immune to Disease, but afflictions in general is probably not a valid Immunity category (being broader and more meta than Metabolic Hazards).

I like Advantages that carry resource and/or competency requirements to use. However, GURPS doesn't tend to have them particularly well done, either when pre-assembled like Healing or when you try to put them together from parts...
Old 12-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #22
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
We don't call those "fireball throwin' gods" We call them "arrow magnets".
yes but how flammable is a quiver full of wood and how do I target it?

That's actually interesting since the quiver itself might be wrapped in something other than wood like leather which is less flammable... hm
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #23
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I tend to prefer some variant of 'Affliction (Advantage: Regeneration)' over the Healing advantage, though admittedly not due to price.
Yeah. It's not about price but about the mechanical workings of the of the advantage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #24
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
yes but how flammable is a quiver full of wood and how do I target it?
If he's using the shoulder quiver with the arrows protruding over his shoulder you can only target that at -5 as a minmum. The fletching probably would cath fire pretty easily but you could have fireballed him in the face for the same effort.

So you need base DX and a fairly high attack Skill at least as much as that archer and i don't think it's a great use of cp.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #25
Plane

Quote:
If he's using the shoulder quiver with the arrows protruding over his shoulder you can only target that at -5 as a minmum. The fletching probably would cath fire pretty easily but you could have fireballed him in the face for the same effort.
Sometimes a foe knows you will aim at his face and takes countermeasures

Quote:
So you need base DX and a fairly high attack Skill at least as much as that archer and i don't think it's a great use of cp.
avoidable w/ the perk which lets you roll against the spell to target w/ it instead of investing in dx/innate attack
Old 12-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
[

avoidable w/ the perk which lets you roll against the spell to target w/ it instead of investing in dx/innate attack
You're not using a Spell. You're using a Power. Even if your GM allowed a similar Perk you've got to get an IQ-based Skill to cover use.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #27
Plane

Quote:
You're not using a Spell. You're using a Power. Even if your GM allowed a similar Perk you've got to get an IQ-based Skill to cover use.
True, but with Skill Adaptation you can use the IQ skill you activate your power with to replace the traditional DX skill you target with, same idea of reducing what you need to invest in down to 1.

If it's allowed for spells I don't see why not for Innate Attack powers. Skill Adaptation isn't just a Magical Styles perk, it's part of Martial Arts.

If you can have IQ-based Karate you can have IQ-based Innate Attack...

Of course that still requires investing points in Karate, so maybe I'm making a bad analogy...
Old 12-13-2020, 11:01 PM   #28
Otaku

Quote:
True, but with Skill Adaptation you can use the IQ skill you activate your power with to replace the traditional DX skill you target with, same idea of reducing what you need to invest in down to 1.

If it's allowed for spells I don't see why not for Innate Attack powers. Skill Adaptation isn't just a Magical Styles perk, it's part of Martial Arts.

If you can have IQ-based Karate you can have IQ-based Innate Attack...

Of course that still requires investing points in Karate, so maybe I'm making a bad analogy...
Can you have IQ-based Karate?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #29
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
While there are certainly things an IQ-based Karate roll could be used for, outright Attribute Substitution: Karate based on IQ is blatantly contrary to the recommended guidelines for what to allow.

A GM certainly could decide to. I'd view that decision with a great deal of doubt unless there was a really thought-out agenda for it.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I had thought so but on closer analysis, seems no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Attribute Substitution: Karate based on IQ is blatantly contrary to the recommended guidelines
Pg 15 of Power-Ups 2 suggests a "complex technological aspect" so it'd probably only make sense if it was something like Tony Stark directing his armor to do Karate for him.

Otherwise, since karate involves "hand-eye coordination" it sounds like shifting it to Per would be more appropriate (like it suggests for Driving)

Which I guess is in the same spirit since buying up IQ buys up per, but some scholars make IQ cheaper by buying down their Per so it won't help those guys.

Definitely fits into the "aware of surroundings" idea of some kareteka though.

Kinda shifty on the realism though, especially if you're already using perception rolls to see if people detect attacks to defend gainst them, like in "Dodge This" for pyramid and parrying ranged weapons.

Tags
advantage of the week, healing