Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
CarrionPeacock

Default Re: Super Jump, Drop Kick and Flight (Requires Surface)

So unless I pay 50% more I can't really use Super Jump's slam, right? Then it is actually overpriced, isn't it? It barely improves the character yet it costs the same as a level of ST or Magery.
Anyway, how much would Bouncing would be worth if it only gave the ability to slam into something harmlessly? Without the bouncing effect that would only fit Elastic Man and Mr Fantastic?
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
So unless I pay 50% more I can't really use Super Jump's slam, right? Then it is actually overpriced, isn't it? It barely improves the character yet it costs the same as a level of ST or Magery.
Anyway, how much would Bouncing would be worth if it only gave the ability to slam into something harmlessly? Without the bouncing effect that would only fit Elastic Man and Mr Fantastic?
Sure you can, you just take damage as well.
For low levels it may be cheaper to buy limited DR (Crushing only and slams only) but since the damage could go up geometrically it would be cheaper to buy Bouncing at some point.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
CarrionPeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Sure you can, you just take damage as well.
For low levels it may be cheaper to buy limited DR (Crushing only and slams only) but since the damage could go up geometrically it would be cheaper to buy Bouncing at some point.
Ouch... Yeah, it seems I'll have to think of something else, I don't have the budget for that.
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
Ouch... Yeah, it seems I'll have to think of something else, I don't have the budget for that.
Sounds good, hope the breakdown was helpful though.
Super Jump definitely not right for all builds but than neither is anything else. I just wanted to try and address your feeling it was way overpriced
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
Bruno

Three or four levels of superjump turn into a very high Move, particularly if you have a good base land Move and a little Enhanced Ground Move (which factor into jump distance).

For dedicated super-slammers of all kinds I recommend buying IT:DR (Collisions Only, -60%) along with some regular DR similarly limited.

Lots of HP are also good.

I successfully body-slammed a Big Bad Vampire to death with my werewolf via ~ 2 levels of super jump, a level of Enhanced Ground Move, good base Move, and ~30 HP, and a relatively low amount of DR. It was worth spending some of my HP to keep hammering on that vampire and knocking him over.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I successfully body-slammed a Big Bad Vampire to death with my werewolf via ~ 2 levels of super jump, a level of Enhanced Ground Move, good base Move, and ~30 HP, and a relatively low amount of DR. It was worth spending some of my HP to keep hammering on that vampire and knocking him over.
Was that with one of your minotaur characters? Because I keep imagining a Big Bad Vampire trying to do some evil gloating yet a bigass minotaur keeps interrupting him with a super headbutt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Sounds good, hope the breakdown was helpful though.
Super Jump definitely not right for all builds but than neither is anything else. I just wanted to try and address your feeling it was way overpriced
I think I finally get what you mean. Super Jump 2 [20] allows somsone with Move 5 do a broad jump of 9 yards from stationary position, that's close to the speed they would have with Enhanced Move 1 [20]. Someone with Move 8 would jump 17 yards, slightly above E.M. 1 speed. Am I right that this was your argument?

Last edited by Sorenant; 06-05-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #17
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Was that with one of your minotaur characters? Because I keep imagining a Big Bad Vampire trying to do some evil gloating yet a bigass minotaur keeps interrupting him with a super headbutt.
As mentioned, it was a werewolf (Werewolf the Apocalypse style, big wolf-man not big wolf). Leo was a good guy :D
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
As mentioned, it was a werewolf (Werewolf the Apocalypse style, big wolf-man not big wolf). Leo was a good guy :D
I think you mean "Leo was a good boy". ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #19
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I think you mean "Leo was a good boy". ;)
Hmm. Knowing WtA-style werewolves, I would suggest not putting it like that. Unless, you know, you want a personal demonstration of the difference between "wild" and "domesticated".
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
Sorenant

Quote:
Now I'm feeling quite dumb, I've completely missed the "werewolf" part.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drop kick, flight, pounce, slam, super jump