Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
CBV

Default Duplication, Alternate forms... so much!

First off, thanks for looking at this. My group really only started to play gurps last year and we're only now starting to get into the true depths of what the system can do. And I'm starting to see that it goes DEEP.

I have a new character concept in mind but I want to confirm some details. The concept is 5 members of a scientific team who are in an accident. The end result is that all 5 now share the same body. There is a dominant personality, but other personalities can be allowed to take over so that they can use their expertise. When that occurs, the body's appearance will change as well. The final complication is that, for brief periods, the team members can separate from the main body and manifest themselves.

Concept done. Here's how I'm thinking of implementing it.

Since all 5 characters have similar backgrounds, they'll all use the same base character's attributes and skills, to start with.

Additionally, the base character will have alternate forms, 4 of them, all cosmetic. This will represent the ability of any of the individuals to become the active personality.

The character will then buy 5 talents, one per personality, that they can only be used when the right personality is active. -For these, I'll pay for the most expensive and then pay 1/5 for the others using the Alternate Ability rules. These talents will simulate each member of the team having better skills in their area of specialty.

For basic equipment, their rifles and armour, I'll simply buy the innate attack and DR, it's the simplest thing, I think, rather than deal with wealth and gear.

Now though, we get to other advantages. I'd like to give a couple of small advantages to each personality. One might have improved senses, another a slight speed increase, etc...

For those advantages, would alternate ability work again, or would this be accessibility (can only use with the correct active personality)? If so, what would be the percentage reduction on that?

The next issue, for me, is Duplication with Construct. As long as the leader lives, the rest of the team can only be killed temporarily.

What kind of limitation would I need to ensure that any given construct can only manifest with one of the personalities? Would that even BE a limitation or would it be purely a roleplaying thing?

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. There are so many options in this game, and, in this case, I want a smart and efficient way to do it!

Last edited by CBV; 05-20-2015 at 10:27 PM.
CBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: Duplication, Alternate forms... so much!

Reading your design of the chars I was thinking something more along the lines of Allies with Summonable along with Compartmentalized Mind.

Duplication I believe assumes all versions are exactly the same. If they differ and are free thinking, wouldn't think just be allies that appear and disappear with Unkillable?

The minds in the body becomes complicated. I think Split Personality might be part of this as a disadvantage coupled with Compartmentalized Minds. Since other minds can concentrate and do things while the "Controlling" mind is doing things then that would make the compartments, otherwise the split personalities encompasses each individual taking control. Horrors also suggested Compartmentalized Mind when someone has distinct personalities.

That's how I'd personally model this.

This is definitely not a cosmetic change for Alternate Form since that assumes only "Appearance" is changing. If any abilities change it's not cosmetic.

Last edited by GodBeastX; 05-21-2015 at 04:15 AM.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
CBV

Thanks for your feedback. I have a few more questions.

How is the alternate form not cosmetic? There's no change in stats granted by the alternate form, the changes in stats would be due to the advantages, which would be controlled by the accessibility limitations, I think...

I also took a look at split personality, which I hadn't thought of before. The thing is, the various personalities will be cooperating and working together. If they need a social personality, that one takes over and if they need a combat one, that personality will then take over. It's very much a collaboration. Split personality, being a disadvantage, doesn't seem to cover that kind of thing.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Compartmentalized Mind 4 is pretty much a must. For everything else, it looks like Alternative Ability Sets.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBV View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I have a few more questions.

How is the alternate form not cosmetic? There's no change in stats granted by the alternate form, the changes in stats would be due to the advantages, which would be controlled by the accessibility limitations, I think...

I also took a look at split personality, which I hadn't thought of before. The thing is, the various personalities will be cooperating and working together. If they need a social personality, that one takes over and if they need a combat one, that personality will then take over. It's very much a collaboration. Split personality, being a disadvantage, doesn't seem to cover that kind of thing.
Cosmetic means quite literally it's only a visual change. Think Mystique from X-men sort of thing. You can assume another APPEARANCE.

Quote:
Special Limitations
Cosmetic: You can assume a second,
distinct appearance with no
change in abilities or racial template.
-50%.
Advantages are abilities.

If you wish each individual to have their own advantages, abilities, mental stats, etc. Then you just build it like a regular Alternate Form.

After thinking about what you're saying I would probably build this as follows.

I would take the highest IQ of the personalities as the IQ of the character sheet. I would take all their skills together on the sheet too. Like if one is a biologist and the other is a tech head, I'd put both skills on the sheet.

I'd then build each doctor as an Alternate Form taking their physical traits, specific advantages, disadvantages, appearance etc into account. A GM might let you get a price discount as Alternative Abilities (Powers P.11) on the forms. I would definitely take it as Alternative Ability to it's ally.

I would then take Compartmentalized Mind 4 to represent that all minds are technically active and communicating with each other at once. And probably a small modifier for "Not while ally present". Which would mean for each ally appearing you have 1 less compartment on your mind.

Then I would take Allies of each Alternate Form building them as normal personalities and points for each except I would take Unkillable on each with death of the main body as the Achilles Heel. I would also add Summonable:

Quote:
Summonable: You conjure your
Ally instead of rolling to see whether
he appears at the start of an adventure.
To do so, take a Concentrate
maneuver and roll against frequency
of appearance. On a success, your Ally
appears nearby. On a failure, you cannot
attempt to summon him again for
one full day. Dismissing your Ally is a
free action, but you may only dismiss
him if he is physically present. +100%.
This is essentially what you're doing when you're allies appear. But since it's a concentrate maneuver it can be done by that compartment of your mind (That Ally). If you want to be able to bring them out whenever then take the No Roll Required modifier.

Since Alternative Abilities can't be active with each other, it makes sense that you can't Shape Change into the Ally that would be present. Hence why Ally and the Alternate Form should be Alternative Abilities of each other.

Overall you're looking at:

4 Allies (Summonable, Alternate Ability or Not While In Form) (With Achilles Heal On Them)
4 Alternate Forms (Alternate Ability or Not While Ally Present Accessibility)
4 Compartmentalized Minds (Not While Ally Present Accessibility)

And that should cover everything you're trying to do.

If the APPEARANCE of the character doesn't change, voice, visual, physical abilities, etc, you might just want to do as recommended above and skip alternate forms and just make alternate abilities.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
CBV

@GodBeastX

Thank you! That actually makes so much sense now. Those three abilities with the alternate forms (the appearance/voices DO change) would definitely get the job done.

I appreciate your taking the time to explain that so clearly!

Tags
alternate form, confused, duplication