Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Duplicates & Study Time

I'm pretty sure that the rules don't allow you to have each of your dupes study different things, each gaining CP at the things they're training at the rate of 1 CP per 200 hour (more or less). Am I correct that the rules don't allow this?

I guess the same thing could apply to a character with levels of Compartmentalized Mind using each mind to study something purely mental (if the character has Clairvoyance and Telekinesis, he could even have each mind read separate texts and write separate notes).

If not, what's the explanation for players as to why they can't use dupes to study multiple things at the same time (in terms of some "in-game" reality)?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Duplicates & Study Time

Far as I know RAW does not address either directly.
I wuld say no on the Duplicates as your merging them but could see a case for it.
ATR and CM should allow it though there may be limitations affecting effciency.
Note that Does not Need to Sleep or Does not Need to Eat can increase your effective study time as well. I have allowed both those in some games.
Study time is only an issue if you allow lots of downtime.
If you do then everyone can benefit but those who put points into magnifying that benefit would get more out of it. Might be a problem but not in all campaigns.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the rules don't allow you to have each of your dupes study different things, each gaining CP at the things they're training at the rate of 1 CP per 200 hour (more or less). Am I correct that the rules don't allow this?
I would certainly allow dupes to study multiple subjects at the same time. In fact, if someone had the super-effort version (where you get a huge number of dupes), I would allow them to study a huge number of subjects. But I would not allow them to study a single subject in massive parallelism; it would have to be different subjects.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
vierasmarius

The Duplicate advantage states that the character gains the memories of all his dupes when they merge. As such, I see no problem with letting them all train and accumulate skill points normally. The only restriction I'd place is that they'd have to be training different skills, or at the very least have a different teacher for each dupe. Two students in a classroom are gonna learn the same material from a single lesson (assuming they're actually paying attention). Combining their memories of that lesson isn't going to help them learn any faster. So the best use of Dupes is to have them go study different things, or have one study while another works, etc.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Whoosh-whoosh!
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
oldgringo2001

One of my favorite Supers is Regiment (GURPS Mixed Doubles), a private eye whose only real superpower is duplication. He can certainly do a case study in a hurry.

A very long time ago I read a story which I think was by A.E. van Vogt, but I could be mis-remembering it. What I do remember is that the protagonist was a college professor who used technological duplication to teach several classes at once, and took some time to get his thoughts back together at the end of the day.

Dr. What-7 in IOU can't do this because his duplication isn't "real"; he can have several versions of himself at various ages in the same present due to his time travelling.

Or does he? Maybe his "time travel" is all a hoax; he's really got Duplication power and a ridiculous level of Fast Talk.
oldgringo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
The problem with doing that is, that the result is two different characters and you generally only get to control one character.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The problem with doing that is, that the result is two different characters and you generally only get to control one character.
If you make it Switchable, you can avoid that.

Bill Stoddard
Old 08-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If you make it Switchable, you can avoid that.

Bill Stoddard
Make...what switchable?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Make...what switchable?
Duplication. Assuming it's not inherently switchable. You switch it off, and all the dupes merge, and their memories pool.

Bill Stoddard
Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Duplication. Assuming it's not inherently switchable. You switch it off, and all the dupes merge, and their memories pool.

Bill Stoddard
The duplicates can remerge. But if they have become different characters, they are no longer duplicates I think.

Although if you work from the precedent of wounds, what would happen is once they remerge, the hours of study they did separately would be divided by the number of the duplicates.

Tags
duplication, study, time