Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
Johnny Angel

Default Re: The Definite d20/D&D Conversion thread

Not too long ago, I converted Pathfinder Frost Giants in this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ght=giant+math

I still need to do some work on them and touch up the format, but there should be enough info there to run the creatures.

Frost Giant Rock Hurler

Rock throwing is a giant tradition, and tossing large rocks is a part of many Frost Giant leisure activities. So too is it a tactic which giants have found use for in combat. With their great strength, Frost Giants can make throws which are beyond the ability of even the strongest of humans. When you add skill to that strength, a Frost Giant with a cache of rocks can easily become a walking; living; breathing siege weapon

ST 30, HP 30
DX 10, Will 11
IQ 10, Per 11
HT 13, FP 13

Special: HT is treated as 3 higher versus cold and ice based afflictions, spells, and environmental effects which are resisted with HT. (for example: Frostbite, pg 189 Magic)

Speed 6, Move 6

Dodge 10, Parry 11,
DR 7/5 torso; DR 5 arms and legs and feet; DR 3 (Tough Skin) elsewhere

9 Pound Stone (15) 2d-2 crushing; range 112
72 Pound Stone (15) 3d-3 crushing; Range 32
180 Pound Stone (15) 3d+3; range 19
Giant Punch (14) 3d crushing. Reach C,1

Traits: Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Night Vision 3, Bad Temper (12), Temperature Tolerance 5 (-50°F to 70°F), Resistant to Cold Based Afflictions (+3), Enhanced Move 0.5 (Ground Speed 9),
Sure-Footed (Snow), Huge Weapons (ST), DR 3 (Tough Skin)
Skills: Two-Handed Axe/Mace-15, Brawling-14, Throwing-15, Wrestling-14
Class: Giant
Notes: Carries a pouch containing six 9-pound stones Wears mail on the torso, heavy leather on arms and legs, and heavy leather boots on feet; both are factored into the DR listed above.

This is a baseline specimen.
More seasoned warriors may have better attributes and weapons. It is also common for some warriors to use better armor; those who regularly do combat with smaller foes tend to put heavier armor on their legs and leather on their chests. Most commonly, slabs of wood or ice are carved into leg guards which offer heavier protection to the fronts of a giant's leg. In the case of wood, the DR is 6F (on top of the 3 from tough skin) on the leg and semi-ablative. In the case of an ice slab, the DR is 6F as well, but it is ablative and vulnerable to fire -losing an extra 1d of DR from a fire based attack. Giants who are more wealthy or better equipped may have actual metal plates on their legs.

The GM is free to decide what rocks are available to a giant. Typical giants carry a pouch containing four 9-pound stones. Giants in a defensive position will often have a stone cache nearby; in addition to the worn pouch, the usually assuption (for ease of play) is two 180-pound stones; four 72-pound stones, and four additional (for a total of eight) 9-pound stones. The GM should feel free to change this assumption to meet the needs of a designed encounter or to better fit the in-game situation; this default assumption is only given as a quick reference for when the GM is unsure of what seems appropriate.

It should also be noted that this stat block is intentionally based upon the same attributes as the Frost Giant Warrior (below.) This is because it is common for a Frost Giant to have a melee weapon and a pouch of stones. Between the two stat blocks, a GM should have the majority of the information needed to create a variety of Frost Giant foes who have a variety of different weapons available to them.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #32
Johnny Angel

Frost Giant Warrior

This giant looks like a thick, muscular human. It has frost-white skin and long, light blue hair that it wears braided.

ST 30, HP 30
DX 10, Will 11
IQ 10, Per 11
HT 13, FP 13

Special: HT is treated as 3 higher versus cold and ice based afflictions, spells, and environmental effects which are resisted with HT. (for example: Frostbite, pg 189 Magic)

Speed 6, Move 6

Dodge 10, Parry 11,
DR 7/5 torso; DR 5 arms and legs and feet; DR 3 (Tough Skin) elsewhere

Giant Great Axe (15)
5d+10 cutting. Reach 2-4*
Giant Punch (14) 3d crushing. Reach C,1

Traits: Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Night Vision 3, Bad Temper (12), Temperature Tolerance 5 (-50°F to 70°F), Resistant to Cold Based Afflictions (+3), Enhanced Move 0.5 (Ground Speed 9),
Sure-Footed (Snow), Huge Weapons (ST), DR 3 (Tough Skin)
Skills: Two-Handed Axe/Mace-15, Brawling-14, Throwing-15, Wrestling-14
Notes: Carries a SM+2 Great Axe with SM+3 grips (ST 30, 50 lbs, $940). Wears mail on the torso, heavy leather on arms and legs, and heavy leather boots on feet; both are factored into the DR listed above. The Axe is an unbalanced weapon and cannot parry and attack on the same turn.

This is a baseline specimen.
More seasoned warriors may have better attributes and weapons. It is also common for some warriors to use better armor; those who regularly do combat with smaller foes tend to put heavier armor on their legs and leather on their chests. Most commonly, slabs of wood or ice are carved into leg guards which offer heavier protection to the fronts of a giant's leg. In the case of wood, the DR is 6F (on top of the 3 from tough skin) on the leg and semi-ablative. In the case of an ice slab, the DR is 6F as well, but it is ablative and vulnerable to fire -losing an extra 1d of DR from a fire based attack. Giants who are more wealthy or better equipped may have actual metal plates on their legs.

It's also possible for a GM to simulate a weaker member of the race by reducing some of the attributes which would make attacks with the axe at a penalty or use a less cumbersome weapon. This may be desirable for wanting to use a Frost Giant as part of an adventure, but toning it down for a weaker or less experienced group.

Huge Weapons allows Frost Giants to treat their ST as one higher for the purpose of meeting weapon ST requirements. Sure Footed allows them to ignore some of the penalties associated with fighting on on unfavorable ground, but only when fighting on snowy ground.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #33
Johnny Angel

Frost Giant Slave Master

Many Frost Giant tribes practice slavery, and, whenever possible, take captives from their destructive raids. This serves many purposes. First, it is a way to establish status, and having slaves is akin to having a work of art, nice piece of jewelry, or toy to show off. Secondly, Frost Giants can use slaves to supplement their diets when necessary. A captured slave which is uninteresting, troublesome, or doesn't possess any noteworthy skills can expect to become a meal sooner than later. A skilled slave or one capable of entertaining by way of song, dance, or some other skill might find themselves performing the task of living toy. Slave Master is a feared and respected position of authority within Frost Giant society. Slave Masters are responsible for making sure slaves don't escape, divvying out slaves as food in lean times, and arranging trades.

ST 28, HP 28
DX 10, Will 12
IQ 11, Per 12
HT 13, FP 13

Speed 5.75, Move 6

Dodge 9, Parry 8 -Whip or 10 -unarmed,
DR 5 everywhere except for hands (DR 3) and head (DR 3).

Giant Whip (15)
5d (0.5) crushing. Reach 2-9*
Whipper Snapper (11) 5d+2 (0.5) Crushing. Reach 2-9* A Frost Giant Slaver can choose to target a hand or arm with this attack with the usual penalties for targeting a limb; if the target fails to defend, it takes damage as normal and must also make a Will roll to avoid dropping anything held with that arm/hand.
Giant Punch (14) 3d-2 crushing. Reach C,1

Special: It takes two seconds for a Frost Giant Slave Master to ready his whip after attacking or parrying. A Frost Giant Slave Master is capable of using the special options under the Whip entry listed on Campaigns p406.

Traits: High Pain Threshold, Night Vision 3, Bad Temper (12), Temperature Tolerance 5 (-50°F to 70°F), Resistant to Cold Based Afflictions (+3), Enhanced Move 0.5 (Ground Speed 9), Sure-Footed (Snow), Huge Weapons (ST), DR 3 (Tough Skin)
Skills: Axe/Mace-12, Brawling-14, Throwing-15, Wrestling-14, Whip 15
Notes: Carries a SM+2 Whip with SM+3 grips (ST 25, 12.5 lbs, $188). Wears heavy leather armor which is factored into the DR listed above. The Whip is an unbalanced weapon and cannot parry and attack on the same turn. There is a 2 in 6 chance of a Slave Master being encountered with 1d slaves tied together in a line. Alternatively, the GM can simply decide a Slave Master either does or does not have slaves with him when encountered.

This is a baseline specimen. As with warriors (described previously), it is common for Slave Masters who have a lot of interaction with smaller creatures to more heavily armor their legs. It is also common for Slave Masters to employ a dire wolf or other suitably large and vicious animal as a guard to keep watch over slaves.

Huge Weapons allows Frost Giants to treat their ST as one higher for the purpose of meeting weapon ST requirements. Sure Footed allows them to ignore some of the penalties associated with fighting on on unfavorable ground, but only when fighting on snowy ground.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
Johnny Angel

...and the link to the Pathfinder version: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/mon...ue/giant-frost
Old 07-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #35
Bruno

I've put up a couple more monsters (one D&D 4e, one mine). Or more accurately, my Guardian Demon Abomination writeup is Inspired By but not really strictly a "conversion". I don't follow "rules" I just write up stuff :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #36
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
I have a 111-page document of D&D races conversions and 41-page document of some other monsters, but they all could be somewhat... defective as I'm an inexperienced GURPS player yet. Should I upload it somewhere?
Sure, put them up and we can discuss them.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #37
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Officially, this is kind of muddy, but as long as we follow the OGL terms, we should be good. (The Tome of Horrors helpfully has a page dedicated to citing it the right way.) Game rules are widely thought to not be subject to copyright, but nobody has ever tested this.
We can't really use the OGL, as GURPS is not part of it. Instead I would stick with standard "fan site" disclaimers.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #38
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I did a fix or two. He won't show up in there because I took out the tag (he isn't a D&D conversion, as I said), but there's a problem that, when you enter the monster at first, it assigns the tag "+dnd_conversion" instead of "dnd_conversion."
Strange - I could have sworn that this used to work. I changed the tag assignment kn the entry form (where you enter the name of the monster) - try it again.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
Laughing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Many of your races seem to be off by fifteen points. This is officially a 0-point Feature, maybe a -5 Social Stigma ("Inconvenient Size") if the baseline society is not used to accommodating them. Sure, they use smaller weapons and weaker armor, but they also get +1 to hit, -1 to be hit, and consume fewer rations.

And halflings are SM-2 in all editions other than 4. The "half" refers to them being half human height, or roughly three feet tall (SM-2).
I see where that error comes from. I was under the impression the common way was to use "Dwarfism" for smaller races. Now I see that this is only for beings who are smaller than usual, smaller than their own kind. I will edit this.

Here are the edited templates, this time in a spoiler to save some space:

Dwarves (41 points)
Spoiler:  

Elves (46 points)
Spoiler:  

Gnomes (15 points)
Spoiler:  

Half-Elves (15 points)
Spoiler:  

Half-Orcs (10 points)
Spoiler:  

Halflings (24 points)
Spoiler:  
Laughing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #40
Anthony

I'd probably give most of the races with dark vision infravision instead, as there's a very long tradition of infravision in D&D. Sure, 3e decided to change it to dark vision, but there's no special reason for that. For that matter, night vision should probably be ultravision (and not realistic UV vision; go with the cinematic ultravision in Basic).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, d&d to gurps, d20 conversion, gurps repository