Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Kradethedark

Default Stating a trained animal

I am trying to stat a trained tiger as an ally for an animal handler type character. The only thing I'm unclear about is whether or not I'm supposed to add in the 120 points that would be gained from IQ 4. That's alot of points to add to what seems to be an already powerful ally and I want to make sure.
Kradethedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Derago

Default Re: Stating a trained animal

Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies has the answer to this. Its built on 187 points as Ally (Tiger; built on 75%; 12 or less; PM-10%; Summonable, +100%) [12] or (15 or less) [18].

Did I just violate something by writing that much? I hope not.

Anyway, buy the book - it's well worth it.

By the way, the template has the Tiger having IQ:6, but it's probably extra high since it is a summoned ally rather than a trained animal. The template does take the -80 points for the IQ:6, so I think you should take the -120 for IQ:4 (or buy up IQ to make the animal more unique than others of its kind).
Derago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

IQ 4 if you want a real tiger that always has the potential to lose it and maul its loved owner. And is always confused by human complexity. At least dogs have instinctive understanding of our subtle body language and social norms. And look how many are mauled by them each year.

I might push it to 5 and call it an exceptional but plausible trained animal. IQ 6 is for sapient cinematic lassie types.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Humabout

Alternatively, go to Luke's website and grab the stats for a tiger there. I would suggest that "training" is well enough represented by buying it as an Ally.

[EDIT]Yeah, and watch out for mauling. You might consider adding Sense of Duty (Owner) [-2] to the template to help mitigate this, but I'm still pretty sure buying the tiger as an ally should mechanically prevent it from mauling you.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 06-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Alternatively, go to Luke's website and grab the stats for a tiger there. I would suggest that "training" is well enough represented by buying it as an Ally.

[EDIT]Yeah, and watch out for mauling. You might consider adding Sense of Duty (Owner) [-2] to the template to help mitigate this, but I'm still pretty sure buying the tiger as an ally should mechanically prevent it from mauling you.
In games' terms sure, but if giving it a realistic IQ, I assumed one might also want to keep realistic behavior in mind.

Not everyone agrees with Luke's translations. Just checking house cats, I disagree with quite a few of his listings. But since the OP is asking, it's as good as most and much quicker than doing it yourself.

Cats are heavily driven by instinct regardless of their conscious choice. (We all are to a degree.)
Most cats will savagely back kick if you touch their bellies. Even the gentlest hand raised cat, Wheezer, did this even though the inability to avoid "attacking" a human obviously caused him distress. I think it's related to the tickle response in primates.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 06-09-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
lwcamp

By my reading, if you buy it as an Ally it will not maul the character to whom it is an Ally. This does not give the other party members much protection, however.

Go ahead and take the points for IQ 4. IQ 4 is highly limiting. It might be trained, but the character can only hope it to obey commands that it has been trained to do. As an Ally, it will probably also try to protect the character to the best of its ability, it will not understand tactics, will not be able to perform complex actions that it cannot understand, and will generally act like an animal driven by instinct with a veneer of training on top that is liable to vanish under stress.

As others have mentioned, consider bumping the IQ up to 6 to make an exceptional tiger for an Ally. Now it can interact with the character and party in a more meaningful way, and everyone is likely to have more fun (it becomes "this is my awesome tiger friend" rather than "this is my useless tiger").

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Also I wonder how you will deal with the enormous feeding bill or when they sleep as much as cats do.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
gilbertocarlos

He get's 80 points from selling IQ, then he needs to spend 20 on will and 30 on perception...
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
He get's 80 points from selling IQ, then he needs to spend 20 on will and 30 on perception...
For IQ 6, Will 10, Per 12, that is true.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derago View Post
Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies has the answer to this. Its built on 187 points as Ally (Tiger; built on 75%; 12 or less; PM-10%; Summonable, +100%) [12] or (15 or less) [18].

Did I just violate something by writing that much? I hope not.
No. Some other posters routinely divulge much larger chunks of information from GURPS PDFs or books.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ally, animals, intelligence