Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
La'sNen

Default Clairsentience instead of Telesend/recive with Dupes?

I've been playing around with modeling a specific movie character with the Duplication Power (primarily illusory,) and the ability to see and hear through mirrors (by projecting his reflection into said mirrors.)

I figured that the reflection could come under createtive use of Duplication [Illusion] (-50%?) and Clairsentience.

But, the rules in Characters only has rules for Telesend and Telerecive. I'm not certain how to do it, given the distance modifiers. Or should I just buy a suite of Telecomunication, slap a +20% modifier on it and call it "Dupe Clairsentience?"
La'sNen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Clairsentience instead of Telesend/recive with Dupes?

Sounds like Clairsentience with the Projection limitation.
Also Awareness or such if you can see from both locations at same time.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
La'sNen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Sounds like Clairsentience with the Projection limitation.
Also Awareness or such if you can see from both locations at same time.
Thank you so much! Though it Projection is not in Basic Set (from what I can see), I guess maybe it's in Psionic Powers? But I'm guessing it doesn't eliminate the range though, so I'd have to have him buy up huge amounts of Increased Range. Which is why I thought maybe using Telecomunications instead
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by La'sNen View Post
Thank you so much! Though it Projection is not in Basic Set (from what I can see), I guess maybe it's in Psionic Powers? But I'm guessing it doesn't eliminate the range though, so I'd have to have him buy up huge amounts of Increased Range. Which is why I thought maybe using Telecomunications instead
Projection is from Powers and a limitation on several abilities.
It does not increase the range but it makes the Clairsentient viewpoint a fake body that can be attacked and seen.
Though attacks require affects insubstantial to affect your ghost like form.
Aware is +50% and lets you be mildly aware of your own body.
Projection is +0% or +150% if you can use spells, mental abilities or such on foes while projecting.
Second Nature is +70% and like Aware but better. Your ability is reflexive and you can change viewpoints as quickly as you can shift your gaze.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

How well would Mindlink (restricted to your dupes) work for this? Obviously, you would have to buy levels to match your dupes.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
La'sNen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
How well would Mindlink (restricted to your dupes) work for this? Obviously, you would have to buy levels to match your dupes.
I'm not sure I'd have to get Mindlink, but maybe? Only one level, because you can't clairsentence to two places at a time.

So far it's come into being a rather strange conjunction.

So far I have

Duplication
+30% Dupe Gear (No Powers)
+20% No Sympathetic Injury
-40% Shared Resources
+20% Link [Illusion]
+10% Link [Clairsentience]?
-10% Magical

Illusion
+20% Link [Duplication]
+10% Link [Clairsentience]?
-10% Magical
+40% Independance
+50% Cosmic

Clairsentience
+50% Aware
-10% Magic
+0% Projection?
+10% Link [Duplication]
+10% Link [Illusion]

I don't think I need the 140% bonus to projection--if any powers are done it would be limited to what an Illusory Dupe could manage (Which could be a disturbing amount provided they were given enough FP). Further, should I make the links to Clairsentience 20% to show they can be used independantly of Clairsentience, while Clairsentence requires both other powers to be active?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

If you're going to have one power usable without requiring the others, then yes, make it 20%. Otherwise, you'd HAVE to use both, whether you wanted to or not. And yeah, if you can only make 1 dupe, 1 level of mindlink is plenty. The maximum number of dupes you can mindlink with goes up fairly quickly with levels, though. Not to say you could clairsentience with extra dupes, but you could still have full awareness of what they're doing (but probably not use any powers).
Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Anaraxes

There should also be a limitation to represent the Clairsentience projection being limited to appearing in mirrors. Perhaps Environmental, and there's always Accessibility.

This is a pretty small proportion of the world -- but then, it's a much higher proportion of places you might want to eavesdrop, since mirrors tend to be near people.

If people (your enemies) know about this power, it's easy to defeat (remove the mirror or go somewhere else). I'm not sure of the best way to model this drawback. It seems like Secret (that you have this power), only if the Secret gets out, you don't acquire new disads to make up the CP penalty, but instead lose effective use of the ability -- deleting the Advantage or severely restricting it rather than gaining a Disadvantage.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Nereidalbel

Here's a good question on how you're defining mirrors for the purpose of this power. Is it going to be artificial mirrors only, or do naturally reflective surfaces count?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
La'sNen

Ahaha! You guys figured it out. This is great!

While we do see him do his spying/voice in the back of the head trick while appearing in a mirror, we don't have any indication that's A) He has to appear in a mirror or B) That his 'reflection' was visible to anyone.

Posession, Puppet Only, MindLink required could work, and be cheaper than the set up I have already?

Also, I watched the scene on the bridge very carefully, at least four of the dupes get knocked back before flickering out, the rest basically disappeared in white light. We only see half the circle, so that means he can likely manage 8 or 9 solid dupes. Yikes.

*taps chin* If an illusory dupe was made, they would be fully independant. Could they not then cast magic? Provided they have enough FP. There was a cut scene where it turns out he raised a mist/fog to hide their escape. Rather than buying increased range for illusion, why not just spread out some invisible illusion dupes to artificially extend your range?

Duplication
+30% Dupe Gear (No Powers)
+20% No Sympathetic Injury
-40% Shared Resources
+20% Link [Illusion]
+20% Link [Clairsentience]
-10% Magical

Illusion
+20% Link [Duplication]
+20% Link [Clairsentience]
-10% Magical
+40% Independance
+50% Cosmic

Clairsentience
+50% Aware
-10% Magic
+0% Projection?
+10% Link [Duplication]
+10% Link [Illusion]

OR

Posession

-40% Mindlink Required
-30% Puppet Only
+50% Aware?

Last edited by La'sNen; 05-21-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Tags
character building, clairsentience, duplication, modifiers