Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Dusqune

Default Nuisance Energy Reserve

How would you model a character experiencing increased nuisance effects (or temporary advantages [EDIT:*]) based on the current level of an Energy Reserve?

I'm not sure I explained that well, so...
Examples:
-A Necromancer has an Energy Reserve of 20 points. While he has half or more points currently in his energy reserve, he has the effects of the disadvantage Lifebane.
-A electrokinetic has an Energy Reserve of 50 points. For every five points of energy in the reserve, he gains one level of Noisy.
-A super has an Energy Reserve of 20 points. For every point of energy in the reserve, he takes a -1 to all Overconfidence self-control checks.

I feel like this must have been covered somewhere... but perhaps I don't own the book or am just missing it? In any case, google-fu didn't work out, so...

Thoughts?

[*Meant DIS-advantages here, but I suppose it would be nice to apply it to advantages too.]
Dreamer [-1]
Secret: {REDACTED} [-30]
Delusion: Has a Quirk-Level Delusion [-1]
Dusqune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Nuisance Energy Reserve

Some of these are easy to do....

the necromancer buys 10 points normally, and 10 points with the temporary disadvantage LifeBane (-10%). for 57 points total;

The electrokinetic is harder. He likely buys 10 sets of noisy, picking up better and better limitations on each. Please note without special permission this can only happen 6 times (0 levels through 5 levels). assuming permission is granted the number goes up to -9, and there is a lot of math that eventually tells you the ability is worth 137 points (average -18% and 0%). thats only if the GM rounds at the end of the calculation though. If not its 141.

The super with a -1 to overconfidence is odd, because normally you don't step things like that, but he can be done with sufficient interpolation. You have to get the GM to agree on a price for SC 14, and you probably want to get a rounding exemption, otherwise you'll miss a lot of the discount.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Humabout

You could approach it as an Accessibility limitation on the individual disadvantages. How much it should be worth would depend on how often it would apply. I'd think that for most PCs, they will almost always meet the Accessibility conditions, since ER recharges pretty quickly. Maybe a -10% or less, I'd say. I'm inclined to suggest only -5%.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusqune View Post
Thoughts?
Accessibility on the advantages, Mitigator on the disadvantages. Accessibility would be valued between -5% and -10%, Mitigator between -60% and -80%.

Leastwise such is how I've been doing it recently. Works well enough.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Dusqune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Some of these are easy to do....

the necromancer buys 10 points normally, and 10 points with the temporary disadvantage LifeBane (-10%). for 57 points total;

The electrokinetic is harder. He likely buys 10 sets of noisy, picking up better and better limitations on each. Please note without special permission this can only happen 6 times (0 levels through 5 levels). assuming permission is granted the number goes up to -9, and there is a lot of math that eventually tells you the ability is worth 137 points (average -18% and 0%). thats only if the GM rounds at the end of the calculation though. If not its 141.

The super with a -1 to overconfidence is odd, because normally you don't step things like that, but he can be done with sufficient interpolation. You have to get the GM to agree on a price for SC 14, and you probably want to get a rounding exemption, otherwise you'll miss a lot of the discount.
Fair enough. I hadn't thought about simply treating it piecewise like that.

One question, though--do you just buy the ER's with different limitations with a 0-modifier stating they're all for the same ER pool (for regen purposes)?
Dreamer [-1]
Secret: {REDACTED} [-30]
Delusion: Has a Quirk-Level Delusion [-1]
Dusqune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

I wouldn't bother with the Temporary Disad limitations. I think the disadvantages with Accessibility modifiers (even treating a full reserve as a Mitigator) are a better route.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Langy

What about the opposite - say, a character with 20 points of ER, but if they're below the halfway mark they suffer the effects of some disadvantage?

(answer: same deal, probably even with the same mitigator/accessibility levels as before)
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusqune View Post
Fair enough. I hadn't thought about simply treating it piecewise like that.

One question, though--do you just buy the ER's with different limitations with a 0-modifier stating they're all for the same ER pool (for regen purposes)?
I believe they are the same pool the same way you can by an innate attack with different limitation at different levels and be considered the same attack.

However I probably only allow this build with special recharge else the auto regeneration will mean as they refill these temporary disadvantages will kick in

As this build is if they are available to use then the temporary disadvantage is active.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
energy reserve