Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Bruno

Default Duplication: Mirror Images

I'm looking at a bit of a video-game-y ability - the character splits into two or more copies of themselves arranged around their original position, in a fixed formation chosen when the ability is purchased. Say, in a triangle if the character has two dupes.

Destroying a dupe does no damage to the original (so that's Construct, easy).

What I'm having problems with is the following two characteristics:
* The character vanishes from their original position and takes up a randomly selected spot in the formation, different each time the ability is used. This makes it harder to track which one is the original.
* The dupes are limited to aping the actions of the original, rather than acting freely. IE, the character can't split, and then scatter in three different directions. If the original Moves, they all Move, following in formation. If the original Attacks, they all Attack (possibly using the same effect against the same target, better hope it's ranged and has friendly-fire).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Duplication: Mirror Images

It's possible that this shouldn't be built on Duplication at all, but instead something that better matches the game-mechanical effect that it achieves - namely, making attacks against the character automatically miss X% of the time (50% for 1 Image, 66% for 2, 75% for 3 etc). It could be Unreliable Insubstantiality, becoming more Unreliable with each successful use (ie, each hit to an Image).

Of course, your description of it implies effects that aren't usually represented in the games it shows up in - extra (illusory) attacks could make the real one harder to defend against. Duplication, with a custom "Imaginary" limitation, might still be a more straightforward build.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

A Blink-only Warp with high reliability seems like an interesting thing to throw in there.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Bruno

I was thinking the dupes are using real attacks, not illusory ones. They're just not very creative with them. . .

Another variation (WoW Mirror Image) has the mirror images restricted to only one or two attacks out of the character's full set, but otherwise they still ape the original characters actions. Which means the original can give away his location by using one of his more effective attacks if a foe's observant... but even without the confusion/concealment effect they're still dumping out real attacks.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I was thinking the dupes are using real attacks, not illusory ones. They're just not very creative with them. . .
Ah, that's a variant I've never encountered before. Yeah, in that case Duplication is the way to go. Do the dupes still have effectively 0 HP (ie, any hit, regardless of damage, disrupts them)? Or are they robust enough to take a few hits?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Ah, that's a variant I've never encountered before. Yeah, in that case Duplication is the way to go. Do the dupes still have effectively 0 HP (ie, any hit, regardless of damage, disrupts them)? Or are they robust enough to take a few hits?
The WoW ones have a fraction of your hitpoints - I think specifically 1/3 but I'm having trouble finding hard numbers. They can take hits without immediately dying, including a quick run through an ambient damage effect, but anything significant enough that it would attract the immediate attention of a raid healer splatters them.

Basically, if you've attracted the ire of a big monster, breaking out Mirror Image will buy you some time while he splatters them one by one trying to figure out which one is you (or nailing you all with AOE damage) but it's not a fix for the situation.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

How about modifying the "Construct" Enhancement directly, making it a Limited Enhancement? Adding "Identical Maneuver" -20% and Temporary Disadvantage (Fragile, Vulnerability, etc). By adding the Temp disad directly to construct, it is only the constructs that are vulnerable/fragile.

As for switching the real you, I currently have a Supers Game with a construct using Duper... I let him buy Warp (Only to Castle with a dupe, -80%) for [20]
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Gnome

With GURPS Magic, this would be a use of Perfect Illusion combined with Independent (programmed to ape you)...
So as an advantage, maybe a limited form of Illusion?

EDIT: Hadn't picked up on the "non-illusory" comments upthread. Whoops.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
ErhnamDJ

I'm not familiar with the source material, but I think there are a few different things going on here:

Instead of Duplication, I would have a few Allies show up. Then you can give them a disadvantage that makes them mimic you (Divine Curse, maybe, or Slave Mentality. Something like that). They can also show up with equipment, which is nice (though you might still need a linked Snatcher to handle that if your gear is extreme, but you can probably give them Wealth with the points from their disadvantage and cover the differense so you still get them on 100%).

To make it impossible to guess which is you, I would use a linked Warp.

You could use Duplication, but that's going to be much more complicated.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
SCAR

Quote:
I'm looking at a bit of a video-game-y ability - the character splits into two or more copies of themselves arranged around their original position, in a fixed formation chosen when the ability is purchased. Say, in a triangle if the character has two dupes.

Destroying a dupe does no damage to the original (so that's Construct, easy).

What I'm having problems with is the following two characteristics:
* The character vanishes from their original position and takes up a randomly selected spot in the formation, different each time the ability is used. This makes it harder to track which one is the original.
* The dupes are limited to aping the actions of the original, rather than acting freely. IE, the character can't split, and then scatter in three different directions. If the original Moves, they all Move, following in formation. If the original Attacks, they all Attack (possibly using the same effect against the same target, better hope it's ranged and has friendly-fire).
Quote:

Another variation (WoW Mirror Image) has the mirror images restricted to only one or two attacks out of the character's full set, but otherwise they still ape the original characters actions. Which means the original can give away his location by using one of his more effective attacks if a foe's observant... but even without the confusion/concealment effect they're still dumping out real attacks.
Since the dupes have real attacks, I think it has to be Duplication. ErhnamDJ's suggestion of Allies might work, but it certainly doesn't feel right.

I'd say that the initial repositioning of the real you can be a Special Effect, as long as it can't be used to Dodge an attack (in which case a single instance, linked, Warp (Blink) would seem to do the trick).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
How about modifying the "Construct" Enhancement directly, making it a Limited Enhancement? Adding "Identical Maneuver" -20% and Temporary Disadvantage (Fragile, Vulnerability, etc). By adding the Temp disad directly to construct, it is only the constructs that are vulnerable/fragile.

As for switching the real you, I currently have a Supers Game with a construct using Duper... I let him buy Warp (Only to Castle with a dupe, -80%) for [20]
Modifiers applied to the Dupes, but not the original you seems like a logical effect for the Construct Enhancement.
Perhaps reversing the 'Independent' Enhancement - you don't need to Concentrate to direct them, but they definitely aren't Independent.

I do like this version of Warp though, could be useful in other scenarios!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duplication, mirror image, powers