Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
Someone404

Default Extending Action 6

So I'm gearing up to run a cyberpunk game, and a big part of that is the heroes' ride(s). However, I have yet to find a good way to build vehicles. I've checked a lot of different books, and of them, Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides is the most promising solution I've seen. Problem is, it only covers cars and small trucks.

So if anyone has expanded Action 6 to cover different types of vehicles or--better yet--has a more proper solution (Already checked Pyramid 3/120, and it lacks sufficient customization rules), I'm all ears.
Someone404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Extending Action 6

RogerBW wrote a set of customisation modifiers for 4e vehicles. You can find them on pp. 10-14 of issue 1 of The Path of Cunning, a fanzine he and I edit.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
Donny Brook

GURPS 4e is too generic and universal to support custom vehicles.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:09 PM   #4
Phantasm

For Action 6, I give the motorcycles from the Basic Set the following:

Fuel-Efficient by default.

External Weapons Mounts: 3 max, two facing forward and one facing rear, cannot mount heavier than a Bulk -6 rifle or a single LAW rocket.

No Gun Ports, though those may be placed in a fully enclosed sidecar.

Max 2 pounds in a Hidden Compartment.

No Tinted Windows or Winch. Run-Flat Tires are permitted, though only really useful with a sidecar or in a street-legal trike or quad-cycle.

Also no Extra Controls (not really possible), Fire Suppression System, Internal Weapons Mount (not really necessary), or NBC Countermeasures (wear NBC armor instead).

Rams from cycles are based on the ST and speed, but generally I abstract to 4d owing to their light nature.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:38 AM   #5
dcarson

Motorcycles need a jato assist option for jumps.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #6
Taneli

What's wrong with GURPS Classics Vehicles 2nd Edition?

It's a lot to get into bur you'll get numbers put of it that can then be translated to 4th ed vehicle rules.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:03 AM   #7
hal

What follows is my rendition of Cyberpunk 2077's TL8 THORTON GALENA G240 using GURPS VEHICLE DESIGNER Software (Aka GURPS VEHICLES 2nd edition with add ins that include GURPS VEHICLES LITE).

Crew: 1 total. 1 crew station covering vehicle maneuvering system.

Subassemblies: Vehicle +3, Body +3, Wheels +1.

P&P: 2,000-kWs lead acid battery, 64.1-kW CHOO2 engine (alcohol fuel, short term access), 64.1-kW wheeled drivetrain (short term access). 85 Horsepower engine.

Fuel: 15.7 gal standard fuel tank (fire modifier -2), 15.7 gal alcohol fuel (fire 10).

Occ: normal crew station (airbag), normal passenger seat (airbag), two cramped passenger seats (folding seat), 4-man environmental control system Cargo: 10.9-cf cargo hold

Armor: all sides DR 5

Equipment
Body: sound system; burglar alarm (Skill-15).

Statistics
Size: [LxWxH] 14.3’x5.8’x2.28’ Payload: 1,109 lbs. Lwt.: 2,868 lbs.
Volume: 170 cf Maint.: 172 hours (0.559 mh/day) Price: $13,582

HT: 12 HP: 131 [Body], 15 each [4xWheels].

VEL Ground Performance: gSpeed 120 mph, gAccel 5 mph/s, gDecel 15 mph/s, gMR 1, gSR 5, Ground Pressure 3,584 lbs. / sf, Off road speed 20 mph.

Design Notes:
TL8 light frame cheap materials [Vehicle].
TL8 DR 5 cheap metal [Vehicle].
Operating Duration: 6 H 59 M 41 S.
Payload Cost: $7.85
Vehicle Features: mechanical controls, has fairing.
Wheels: quantity 4, standard, improved suspension, improved brakes.
Volume: 155 cf [Body], 15.4 cf [Wheels].
Area: 175 sf [Body], 40 sf [Wheels].
VEL Ground Performance: high speed drag;

Note: Using rules from GURPS WW II Core rulebook for fuel duration are such that if you drive at 60% top speed, listed fuel duration is x1. Maintenance interval remains unchanged. I don't know how realistic the rules are for going at 30% top speed, as fuel use is quartered (effectively multiplying your fuel duration by x4 moving at 30% top speed). I find that if I use that rule, fuel efficiency is such that vehicles are getting 60+ miles per gallon. THAT seems a bit much. But using .60 x top speed, range becomes .6 x 120 x 6.9 hours or 496 miles. At 15.7 gallons of fuel, that works out to roughly 31 miles per gallon. Be aware too, that this all presumes you're carrying a full load of passengers and cargo.

Now, were I to use Pyramid 3_120 - its stats would look a bit different. If you want I can post a motorcycle to this list as well, or you can simply go to THIS THREAD

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:45 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone404 View Post
So I'm gearing up to run a cyberpunk game, and a big part of that is the heroes' ride(s). However, I have yet to find a good way to build vehicles. I've checked a lot of different books, and of them, Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides is the most promising solution I've seen. Problem is, it only covers cars and small trucks.

So if anyone has expanded Action 6 to cover different types of vehicles or--better yet--has a more proper solution (Already checked Pyramid 3/120, and it lacks sufficient customization rules), I'm all ears.
So Action 6 only lists cars and trucks, but most of the options can be applied to a much wider range of vehicles, including such exotic things as star wars speeders and mechanical horses. Action six lacks only a base vehicle for you to apply. You can grab a motorcycle from basic (page 464 has four different options, which is about as dense as action 6 would have been) or you can appeal to the fan-made Unofficial Gurps Vehicle Collection, which has 14 motorcycles.

Applying the action 6 options to them requires a little common sense...which has already been volunteered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
For Action 6...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:05 AM   #9
hal

This is an electric Motorcycle capable of reaching speeds in excess of 100 MPH...

TL8 Suzuki Sasayaku uma Electric Motorcycle (Whispering Steed)

The Sasayaku uma Motorcycle is an electric powered motorcycle that runs on 4 rechargeable E cells. Sporting off-road tires, this motorcycle is intended to go places, be it city driving or off-road driving. As an electric vehicle, it is intended to be able to operate by simply replacing the batteries for on the go recharging, or by means of solar panel rechargers or standard electrical grid recharging.

Crew: 1 total. 1 crew station covering vehicle control (ground).

Subassemblies: Vehicle +1, Body +1, Wheels +0.

P&P: four rechargeable E cells, 45-kW wheeled drivetrain (no access space).

Fuel:

Occ: cycle crew station [Vehicle] Cargo: 5-cf cargo hold

Equipment
All: human crew/passenger; long range radio communicator (100-mile range).

Statistics
Size: [LxWxH] 9.08’x2.27’x1.14’ Payload: 500 lbs. Lwt.: 1,066 lbs.
Volume: 23.4 cf Maint.: 157 hours (0.61 mh/day) Price: $16,173

HT: 9 HP: 22 [Body], 21 each [2xWheels].

VEL Ground Performance: gSpeed 145 mph, gAccel 7 mph/s, gDecel 15 mph/s, gSR 1.5, gMR 2, Ground Pressure 2,512 lbs. / sf, Off road speed 35 mph.

Design Notes:
TL8 light frame cheap materials [Vehicle].
Operating Duration: 4 H 24 M 19 S.
Vehicle Features: electronic controls, ruggedized, no streamlining.
Wheels: quantity 2, off-road, improved brakes, puncture resistant.
Volume: 17 cf [Body], 5.1 cf [Wheels].
Area: 40 sf [Body], 14 sf [Wheels].
VEL Ground Performance:;

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vehicles