Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-10-2021, 09:10 PM   #11
timm meyers

Default Re: Big Cats & Other Animals

wow I think the idea of giving wild animals various levels of U.C. is BRILLIENT! Basically you equate "claws" as per level of U.C.
Remove all damage dice and just go by bare hand ST chart with claw I, II, or III Which is equal to U.C. I, II, or III (even IV or V if you want bigger than bear claw mutant sabre lions...)

You no longer need fur armor (which I personally think is visually silly) as the U.C. always on Evade grants -DX defense and far more reflective of a quick agile wolf, cat, or even bear.
Change the Kick to a HtH only "throat bite or belly rip" attack still keeping all adjustments.
Yes! shield rush yes! of course it titles "pounce or rush" instead of throw

Common Wolf ST-10 DX-14 with Claws I = does reg. snapping attack 1d-2, HtH throat bite(-4DX kick but +4DX HtH = 0 change) 1d damage

Timber Wolf ST-10 DX-14 with Claws II = reg. attack 1d-1, HtH throat bite (-2DX but +4DX HtH = +2DX) 1d+2 Plus they are -1DX to hit from front and deflect 1 hit, and can "Rush" for knockdown

Dire wolf ST-10 DX-14 with Claws III =reg. attack 1d, HtH throat bite (-1DX but +4DX = +3DX) 2d !!!! Plus -2DX to hit and deflect 2hits (not liking the armor aspect so much but...) and their "Rush" attack is a 4d6 defense roll to fall or not

A pack of 10 Strength timber wolves with an alpha dire wolf would be so much more potent and fun this way I think.

Tiger - ST-24 DX-14 with Claw II? = reg. attack 1d+4 (is that a 2d6+1?), HtH throat rip is +3DX at 1d+7! (or 3d+1) yikes

OK maybe claws this way might be a bit too scary come the large ST animals but probably far more true to life. Hmmmm?
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:54 AM   #12
Shostak

Do you let animals pin, too, so that those that hunt in packs can work cooperatively to first render human foes helpless and then slaughter them?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:00 AM   #13
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
wow I think the idea of giving wild animals various levels of U.C. is BRILLIENT! Basically you equate "claws" as per level of U.C.
Remove all damage dice and just go by bare hand ST chart with claw I, II, or III Which is equal to U.C. I, II, or III (even IV or V if you want bigger than bear claw mutant sabre lions...)

You no longer need fur armor (which I personally think is visually silly) as the U.C. always on Evade grants -DX defense and far more reflective of a quick agile wolf, cat, or even bear.
Change the Kick to a HtH only "throat bite or belly rip" attack still keeping all adjustments.
Yes! shield rush yes! of course it titles "pounce or rush" instead of throw
You would still want those other things, like fur armor and claw damage, because they can still attack and be attacked while not in HTH.

Tiger in cage. Guard gets to close. Tiger reaches through bars and swipes at guard, hits and drops him. Second guard comes near with spear and stabs at Tiger doing some damage while fur stops some damage.

I like this approach of levels of species Claw Talent. Perhaps something like this is in the upcoming Beastiary?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #14
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Do you let animals pin, too, so that those that hunt in packs can work cooperatively to first render human foes helpless and then slaughter them?
The fictional wolf attacks generally have one animal jumping the target from behind and the rest piling on.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:05 AM   #15
timm meyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
You would still want those other things, like fur armor and claw damage, because they can still attack and be attacked while not in HTH.

Tiger in cage. Guard gets to close. Tiger reaches through bars and swipes at guard, hits and drops him. Second guard comes near with spear and stabs at Tiger doing some damage while fur stops some damage.

I like this approach of levels of species Claw Talent. Perhaps something like this is in the upcoming Beastiary?
I still don't see how fur effectively stops anything except cold air. But I see the tactical nuance and possible explanation of blubber or excessive muscle structure resulting in same effect.
I consider the regular attack is still there its just based on ST + Claw level. I was pleased to see the wolf examples became really poor "I run up and nip/bite/swipe for pitiful damage but the HtH(ie Kick) does a fair amount more so it encourages the "pack" style of - surround, feint and nip, then dog pile for kill.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #16
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The fictional wolf attacks generally have one animal jumping the target from behind and the rest piling on.
How about the nonfictional ones?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #17
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
How about the nonfictional ones?
Armed humans take down a half dozen or more wolves before dying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America
Old 02-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #18
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
I still don't see how fur effectively stops anything except cold air. But I see the tactical nuance and possible explanation of blubber or excessive muscle structure resulting in same effect.
I consider the regular attack is still there its just based on ST + Claw level. I was pleased to see the wolf examples became really poor "I run up and nip/bite/swipe for pitiful damage but the HtH(ie Kick) does a fair amount more so it encourages the "pack" style of - surround, feint and nip, then dog pile for kill.
Yeah. I think of it as animal Toughness talent, and let some individual animals have more than others sometimes.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate attack, grappling, hth, natural weapons