Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Hero of Canton

Default 4e Conversion of GURPS Deadlands?

Has anyone done a conversion to 4e of the GURPS Deadlands materials?

In particular I am interested in converting the Huckster Hexes to 4e - probably need GURPS Magic and GURPS Thaumatology to do so.

Hero of Canton
Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: 4e Conversion of GURPS Deadlands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Canton View Post
Has anyone done a conversion to 4e of the GURPS Deadlands materials?

In particular I am interested in converting the Huckster Hexes to 4e - probably need GURPS Magic and GURPS Thaumatology to do so.

Hero of Canton
Eh, perhaps not.

Some of the "new" Hexes added to Gurps Deadlands mimic Gurps Magic spells but there was very little change in Magic mechanics form 3e to 4e.

Nothing terribly relevant in Thaumatology occurs to me either.

Off-hand I can't relaly think of anything to stop you from just taking the 3e Hex material and running with it.

Of course, I can say this because I don't believe in re-writing the Magic system to use Gurps Powers instead. Somebody else may come along and recommend that you do this but not me.

If I was converting Deadlands to 4e it's the Harrowed Template that I'd concentrate on. There were far more tweaks and tucks in the Ad/Disad system than Magic. The Harrowed Template in 3e was kind of a mess anyway.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Redcrow

I would like to see a 4e conversion for "The Blessed" from Deadlands. I didn't like the 3e version at all.

As for converting Hexes to 4e, I think most of those from 3e would work just fine as they are.
Redcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
runarm

Having run a 4th ed Deadlands campaign I can safely say that the hexes need no work at all to use in 4th ed.
The ritual magic used for the shamans is pretty much the same in 3rd and in 4th so you won't really need any converting there.
The blessed, however, are a complete pain. The 3rd ed way looks sort of okay on paper, but really isn't in practice - at least I and my group thought so. Since you can't directly translate it into 4th we haven't bothered with the blessed since.

R.
runarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Hero of Canton

Gracias amigos for the information and opinions! I am not allowing players to START play with a Harrowed PC in my game so I think I'm good to go!

Hero of Canton
Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by runarm View Post
Having run a 4th ed Deadlands campaign I can safely say that the hexes need no work at all to use in 4th ed.
The ritual magic used for the shamans is pretty much the same in 3rd and in 4th so you won't really need any converting there.
The blessed, however, are a complete pain. The 3rd ed way looks sort of okay on paper, but really isn't in practice - at least I and my group thought so. Since you can't directly translate it into 4th we haven't bothered with the blessed since.

R.
Thread-resurrection, it seems to me that the rules for the blessed are actually pretty close to the GURPS Powers: Divine Favor, and I am interested if anyone has run 4e Deadlands with those.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, deadlands