Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #31
Refplace

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#45): Duplication

Duplication is a hefty power and multiple duplicates far more expensive than just as powerful allies. A percentage based cost would be too self limiting for some concepts in my view.
I actually would like it to have a sliding scale for multiple duplicates. Like Super Effort but easier.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #32
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Duplication is a hefty power and multiple duplicates far more expensive than just as powerful allies. A percentage based cost would be too self limiting for some concepts in my view.
I actually would like it to have a sliding scale for multiple duplicates. Like Super Effort but easier.
Except for coordinated tasks, IME it is very hard for one play to coordinate the actions of all of the characters effectively. Managing 2 or so generally isn't a problem, but with 5+ dupes that player has as much to handle was the rest of the players. Generally I suggest that concepts where there will be a lot of dupes to use Allies instead.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:24 AM   #33
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
The other thing to touch upon is whether or not Duplication should have a Variable Cost. I... don't know. Please keep discussing this. XD
I went and checked it myself, just to make sure. Most leveled traits are exponentially better in some way. Anything damage related (ST, Innate Attack, DR, etc) is usually not exponential. A few other traits also are not exponential (Penetrating Vision). However, most are, and those are usually looked at as overpriced for high levels. It's why I use Tbone's houserule for extreme levels of ST, brought over to related traits. Even traits that seem to be linear (skills, DX, IQ, etc) do get better the higher they get per level. Realistically, a character built on 600 points will be all sorts of much better than 300pts, much better than "twice" as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Supers actually has a Super Effort rule for Duplication. It's pretty neat.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:56 AM   #34
Crystalline_Entity

Has anyone priced up an enhancement (or ability) that allowed Duplicates to communicate with each other? When rereading the ability it occurred to me that just because you have a Duplicate, it doesn't know what happened to your character after the Duplicate split off, and vice versa, until you recombine. The only thing you know is that your Duplicate is still alive (in the case of the unmodified advantage where you take 2d damage if a Duplicate dies).

My attempt to implement the suggestion on B51 to use Telesend to allow constant communication is Telesend (Duplicates Only, -80%; Sensie, +80%) [30] + Mindlink [5], but if anyone has better suggestions, that would be great - I'm not sure if Sensie is actually necessary?
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:06 AM   #35
johndallman
Night Watchman

Special Rapport (B88) is another possibility, depending on the mechanics of your Duplication.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 AM   #36
dds_ks

What about casting ritually together with your Dupes?
If you use the standard version of Duplication, each of them has the FP that you had before splitting. Then each of them uses all FP for casting, and when you re-unite, you have the average (in this case: 0 FP).

Even worse:
Have one character with Duplication I (let's call her "2") and one without (his name being "1"), both spellcasters with "lend energy".

1 uses all his FP on a spell - let's say: 10 FP. At the same time, 2 splits.
One of 2's duplicates uses all her 10 FP to restore 1's FP.
2 reunites, so she averages at 5 FP.
1 fully restores those lost 5 FP.

So they gain 5 FP in 4 seconds, and they could immediately start over.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, duplication, fugue, week, [basic]