Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #41
robertsconley

Default Re: Using the Pathfinder Kingdom Building rules with GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
As far as I am aware, these rules are a direct copy of the rules from Paizo's "Ultimate Campaign" for Pathfinder, which I also own.

Pretty much all of the Pathfinder rules were released under the OGL license (which they had to, since they created those rules based on the OGL rules released by Wizards of the Coast). Unless I am very much mistaken, the site I linked to is perfectly legal.
Paizo has an official Pathfinder Reference Document. Of the two I generally prefer to use the PRD. However for the d20 rules the d20 SRD is the gold standard.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #42
Rigil_Kent

Default Re: Using the Pathfinder Kingdom Building rules with GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
My campaign using these rules ended earlier this year. Since it was requested by Private Message, here is some feedback.

First of all, the bookkeeping was too much. One of the players created a custom spreadsheet for this, but making domain turns took a lot of time out of the game, for little real gain. Furthermore, the colony quickly accumulated massive bonuses that made it pretty much impossible to fail any rolls - they built up their settlements while keeping their territorial expansion small, at least initially.

The problem was not so much with the GURPS rules interface, which IMO worked reasonably well, but with the Pathfinder Kingdom Building rules. These rules have a lot of good ideas, but in the end I wouldn't use them again.
I tend to agree. I've sort of been using these with my Casus Belli campaign and the PF rules have turned out to be really, really klunky for it. I already dialed down the frequency of kingdom checks to four times a year (seasonly) instead of once a month, but even then, it was hard to maintain Player interest in this because it was just so clunky, especially since (in my case) the PCs were not all Leaders, which is interesting cause I'm playing in the Pathfinder: Kingmaker adventure path that uses these rules and it works wonderfully there. My own campaign is about to go onto hiatus after one more session and I think I'll probably phase out use of these rules and maybe replace it with something else. Really digging the HarnManor stuff ...

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, pathfinder