Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Please Help Create a Bird-Person Template

Hey, all!

Just a quick thank you to everyone that has answered to all of my past threads and will answer to present and future threads.

I'm trying to create a Bird-Person species.

Bird-Person
34 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST-2 [-20]; DX+1 [20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM-1 [0]; Per+1 [5].
Advantages: Flight (Cardiac Stress, 30 minutes, -15%; Winged, -25%) [24]; Lifting ST 4 (Cardiac Stress, 30 minutes, -15%) [24]; Natural Weapons (Cutting; No Crushing, -5) [2].
Perks: Feathers [1].
Disadvantages: Skinny [-5]; Vulnerability (Crushing, *1.5) [-15].

Now, I added Cardiac Stress because I figure flying is going to be extremely exhausting for a humanoid avian species. Even with how lithe they are and the different skeletal structure and different muscles and whatever, it's still going to take a lot for them to get into the air on Earth, I figure. A bird's heightened senses is just represented as a small bonus to Perception here.

Contrary to the bird idea I want them to be like (this depiction of) Man-Bat. He has a few extra non-wing phalanges to use as fingers. I figure this might be a little clumsy, but, maybe if you fold your wings back, it wouldn't be so bad. So, is that a Clumsy Fine Manipulator? But what about the talons of a Bird-Person? Are those Fine Manipulators as well? I don't know what I should do about the case of Extra Arms. I imagine, like I said, that a Bird-Person would be able to hold things in his wing-hands, but not while flying. However, he would still be able to use his talons to manipulate things, but I'm not sure how well. I don't see them as flying around and wielding swords. So, then, are they just regular old legs for the sake of Manipulators? In that case, I can put Temporary Disadvantage, No Fine Manipulators, -30% on Flight.

Last but not least, what about this Lifting ST jazz? The only reason I have that on there is because an Bird-Person would theoretically need ST 12 to lift himself into the air (based on Winged Humans from GURPS Bio-Tech). Is that just Arm ST? A limitation on Lifting ST? Or should Bird-Person realistically have all of that Lifting ST? It's a little messier here because I'm using Knowing Your Own Strength from Pyramid #3/83: Alternate GURPS IV.

Bird-Person, Revised
32 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST-2 [-20]; DX+1 [20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM-1 [0]; Per+1 [5].
Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Extended Lifespan 1 [1]; Flight (Temporary Disadvantage, No Fine Manipulators, -30%; Winged, -25%) [18]; Lifting ST 4 (Limited, Arms only, -50%) [14]; Natural Weapon (Cutting; Modified Crushing, -5) [2]; Natural Weapon (Piercing; Cannot Parry, -40%; Reduced Damage, -1/die, -30%) [2].
Perks: Feathers [1].
Disadvantages: Vulnerability (Crushing, *1.5) [-15].
Quirks: Thin Frame [-1].

Last edited by Raekai; 12-10-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Please Help Create a Bird-Person Template

Cardiac Stress means your species will end up going extinct, due to a tendency to fall out of the sky at random. Go with Costs FP instead, to represent muscle strain. Cardiac Stress just to lift 29lbs means that any serious construction is impossible, armor can't be a thing, and my suspension of disbelief is shattered with such a race dying off all the time.

Giving their beak Piercing damage as a Striker or Natural Weapon would be fitting, if you're going with the bird-face thing.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Cardiac Stress means your species will end up going extinct, due to a tendency to fall out of the sky at random. Go with Costs FP instead, to represent muscle strain. Cardiac Stress just to lift 29lbs means that any serious construction is impossible, armor can't be a thing, and my suspension of disbelief is shattered with such a race dying off all the time.

Giving their beak Piercing damage as a Striker or Natural Weapon would be fitting, if you're going with the bird-face thing.
I'll go with Costs Fatigue, then! That makes sense. And I totally forgot about the bird-face thing. They actually have a beak nose and a human-ish mouth. So, I'll go ahead and add that.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:26 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Lifting ST is significantly cheaper than that, and probably shouldn't have Costs FP if Flight does. I probably wouldn't use Costs FP on Flight either, unless you really want them on the ground the vast majority of the time. Winged Flight is pretty tiring as it is, about as bad as non-stop sprinting.

This is just a house rule, but I personally avoid using build traits like Skinny on racial templates. Skinny relative to what? What about a Bird Person who is Skinnier than other Bird People? I'd give them higher ST and low HP to represent the fragile build but ability to fly, and leave Skinny, Fat, etc to individual characters.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Expy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Hey, all!
Contrary to the bird idea I want them to be like (this depiction of) Man-Bat. He has a few extra non-wing phalanges to use as fingers. I figure this might be a little clumsy, but, maybe if you fold your wings back, it wouldn't be so bad. So, is that a Clumsy Fine Manipulator? But what about the talons of a Bird-Person? Are those Fine Manipulators as well? I don't know what I should do about the case of Extra Arms. I imagine, like I said, that a Bird-Person would be able to hold things in his wing-hands, but not while flying. However, he would still be able to use his talons to manipulate things, but I'm not sure how well. I don't see them as flying around and wielding swords. So, then, are they just regular old legs for the sake of Manipulators? In that case, I can put Temporary Disadvantage, No Fine Manipulators, -30% on Flight.
Hey Raekai, I believe that the answer to your question about the talons lies in the Basic Set, under Extra Arms B53:
"In GURPS, a limb with which you can manipulate objects is an
arm, regardless of where it grows or what it looks like."

So both your bird-man's wings and their feet count as arms in the GURPS system. Now, further down under special limitations you can find the 'Foot Manipulators' limitation, which is exactly what you would need to stat the talons. At a guess, they might look something like:
- Extra Arms 2 (Foot Manipulators, -30%) [14],
- Ham-Fisted 1 or 2 (Accessibility: Foot Manipulators Only, -20%) [-3 or -8],
and/ or Bad Grip with a similar limitation. I'm sure that there's a better way to model this, though.

I can't help you with the wings, unfortunately! I'm not familiar with flying creatures and I wouldn't want to feed you bad information accidentially. Best of luck in your GURPS'ing!

Last edited by Expy; 12-10-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Lifting ST is significantly cheaper than that, and probably shouldn't have Costs FP if Flight does. I probably wouldn't use Costs FP on Flight either, unless you really want them on the ground the vast majority of the time. Winged Flight is pretty tiring as it is, about as bad as non-stop sprinting.

This is just a house rule, but I personally avoid using build traits like Skinny on racial templates. Skinny relative to what? What about a Bird Person who is Skinnier than other Bird People? I'd give them higher ST and low HP to represent the fragile build but ability to fly, and leave Skinny, Fat, etc to individual characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
It's a little messier here because I'm using Knowing Your Own Strength from Pyramid #3/83: Alternate GURPS IV.
Since I'm using those rules, Lifting ST is 7 points/level. And winged flight isn't too bad. You can pace yourself. The idea here is that a Bird-Person is not built perfectly to fly. Flying humanoids are pretty tough to make. I maybe should have mentioned that they are the result of a demigod's engineering. However, I will consider removing it or definitely allowing a Bird-Person to buy off that limitation.

As far as Skinny goes, I don't imagine that a Bird-Person could get that much skinnier, and I don't want to drop their HP for a reduction in mass. I thought about just doing a Thin Frame [0] as a Feature, but it didn't feel right. Normally, I wouldn't use Skinny on a Template, but it felt right in this instance. You don't really have a skinnier Bird-Person. You might have someone who is emaciated and underfed, but I don't imagine a lot of variance in their bone structure. But maybe that's not worth -5 points. Could it be a Quirk? Thin Frame [-1].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expy View Post
Hey Raekai, I believe that the answer to your question about the talons lies in the Basic Set, under Extra Arms B53:
"In GURPS, a limb with which you can manipulate objects is an
arm, regardless of where it grows or what it looks like."

So both your bird-man's wings and their feet count as arms in the GURPS system. Now, further down under special limitations you can find the 'Foot Manipulators' limitation, which is exactly what you would need to stat the talons. At a guess, they might look something like:
- Extra Arms 2 (Foot Manipulators, -30%) [14],
- Ham-Fisted 1 or 2 (Accessibility: Foot Manipulators Only, -20%) [-3 or -8],
and/ or Bad Grip with a similar limitation. I'm sure that there's a better way to model this, though.

I can't help you with the wings, unfortunately! I'm not familiar with flying creatures and I wouldn't want to feed you bad information accidentially. Best of luck in your GURPS'ing!
Thank you! Seeing it written out as such is helpful. In the end, I think I'm deciding for the talons not to be Fine Manipulators. An eagle might have dexterous talons, but chickens' feet don't seem quite as useful. Though, I've been kicked by a chicken before.

Tags
avian, bird-person, harpy, template, tengu