Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #121
nanoboy

Default Re: Does GURPS need original-setting world books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Cinematic action, multi-genre. Something that lets me use Magic, Martial Arts, High-Tech, Ultra-Tech, and Powers. Oh yeah, throw in Cabal, Undead, Blood Types (all suitably updated to GURPS 4e standards).
Then, I think that Infinite Worlds is your best bet, considering what's available.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #122
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy
Then, I think that Infinite Worlds is your best bet, considering what's available.
Agreed, though it's a bit too pulpy for my taste. Still ISWAT with a good dosage of Cabal thrown in is a pretty good start.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #123
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Cinematic action, multi-genre. Something that lets me use Magic, Martial Arts, High-Tech, Ultra-Tech, and Powers. Oh yeah, throw in Cabal, Undead, Blood Types (all suitably updated to GURPS 4e standards).
So you want a Black Ops adventure, with the "intelligent vampires" option? Hmmmmm... might be tricky...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #124
cybermancer2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy
If I like the setting, I get it and adapt it to GURPS. It's one of the reasons I game exclusively in GURPS. It's easier to adapt to GURPS than learn a bunch of systems.
Seconded. I've always considered GURPS' strongest asset to be the ability to use it to model any setting or concept, no matter how complex or obscure. ISTR a line out of GURPS First Edition: "if you want to use a module from another company, but don't have that system, go ahead and buy that module! Just convert the measurements and times to GURPS." Or something like that.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #125
younglorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
<snip>But I doubt that even 10% of customers would want the "SPRUG" (Sean Punch Roleplaying Universe Game"), so . . .<snip>
You know, given the cult following you have... maybe you should write it as a PDF series. ; )
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #126
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
So you want a Black Ops adventure, with the "intelligent vampires" option? Hmmmmm... might be tricky...
To start with we're talking settings not adventures here.

Black Ops would be too restrictive for what I'm talking about (not that I wouldn't love to see that) but what I'm talking about here might have MiB in the background, the focus wouldn't necessarily be the Black Ops agents, it would more likely be on characters not in any specific organization, though options would exist for using any number of organized groups - government, paramilitary, secret societies etc.

I'd want to look at all the various material available for GURPS, especially 4e stuff and material that isn't that tied to the 3e. All of that would be available as support material. I want a wide variety of capabilities permitted - psionics, magic, chi, etc. Use the following for inspiration:

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel TV series (not the movies)
- Highlander TV series (not the movies)
- Men in Black (with far less humor)
- Hellboy movie
- Wanted (perhaps dialed down, just a tad)
- Blade (at least the first movie)
- Underworld (first movie)
-Bourne series
- Mission Impossible series
- Rapid Fire
- The Matrix (but sans the matrix background; not the later films either)
- any number of Hong Kong action flicks

Lots of cinematic action with an Illuminated world filled with vampires, weres, demons and other occult presense. Magic, martial arts, and cinematic gunplay along with car chases and fast and furious action would be the focus. Check reality at the door - that's for the mundanes - the heroes and villians move in a cinematic realm.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #127
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
I hate to quibble, but they do. The Champions Universe has received a lot of support from HERO for a long time.
Plus the Turakian Age.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #128
pawsplay

I buy Transhuman Space books about as fast as I can afford/justify them. I thought it was really an incredible line of books, although from the original book, it wasn't clear to me what you were supposed to do. But I have loved the books and I enjoy reading them. I was really hoping there would be more of the same. I think GURPS does need original setting books.

SJ Games may be in the business of "selling rules," but how many rules do I really need? The 4e main books and Powers is probably a lifetime of rules right there. I love tinkering, but I don't love re-inventing the wheel. I love conversions, but I don't want to have to devote many hours to devising each setting conversion and then doing the work itself. That's a huge barrier to actually doing a GURPS game other than modern games or generic TL 3 tantasy.

More than anything else, I spend money to save myself time. I like roleplaying books that are of high quality; that are enjoyable to read as well as useful; that capture my imagination; that help me set up a game with less effort; that don't straightjacket me into approaches I might not want.

The problem with most of the previous GURPS attempts at setting was that they were... weird. GURPS IST isn't a real superhero setting. GURP Yrth isn't a real swords-and-sorcery setting. I think way too often, GURPS writers have thought: what would this be like if it were realistic? Or satirical. Or weird. Or just smarty-pants. Somehow, GURPS manages to nail it when someone says, "Let's write a book on Japan under the Shogun," but fumbles it when someone says, "Let's write a chivalric romance, swords-and-sorcery game with wide crossover appeal that isn't just a D&D clone." GURPS Yrth is, for all practical purposes, an alternate history game, not a fantasy setting proper. It's amusing to people who are into Crusades history and it provides carte blanche for having characters who look like very anachronistic fantasy art pierces.

I don't know if GURPS needs to "support" lines, but it does new original settings, even if they're one-offs. Without some kind of house setting, it's hard to write generic expansions for the genre. There is really nothing lamer than trying to write a Pyramid article about a S.H.I.E.L.D. knockoff for Supers without some idea of what kinds of super powers are in the setting, the availability of technology, realism level, etc. At best, you're going to capture something about the idea, and leave some settling of details for the individual GMs. But if you had a house setting, GMs could simply use it (if it fits their game), adapt it (if it would fit with minimal changes), or chunk it (does not fit in their game, so sad, life goes on). A house setting provides a lingua franca for generic products within that genre; even if each campaign is not identical, they have enough characteristics that stuff is likely to be widely useful.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #129
Caleban

pawsplay: I just want to applaud your eloquence. It summed up just about everything I wanted to express in my OP.
Caleban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #130
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay
The problem with most of the previous GURPS attempts at setting was that they were... weird. GURPS IST isn't a real superhero setting.
Somebody better tell Robert M. Schroeck that the supers world he's been running since the mid-1980s isn't "a real superhero setting", then...

IST isn't a four-colour-comic-book setting, true, but that isn't the only possible kind of superhero setting. (In fact, four-colour-comic-book is possibly the least-believable superhero setting.) Ever read Watchmen or Wild Cards? IST is closer to those than to any Marvel product I'm aware of.

I could make similar responses to your other examples, but I'll just sum up with this: Nowhere is "bad" defined as "what pawsplay doesn't like". (And nowhere is "bad" defined as "what robkelk doesn't like", either.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps revival