Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #111
Gamer_Zer0
Banned

Default Re: Does GURPS need original-setting world books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
If it isn't worthwhile to SJG, then SJG doesn't issue a licence, and no line "powered by GURPS" results.
I meant owuld be worthwhile to the publishers to jump thru all the hoops that are in put place for good reason.
Gamer_Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 AM   #112
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
I would have thought that Call of Cthulhu (before WoD stole its "genre of the victim" angsty players), Traveller, and Warhammer were in that sort of league as well, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Depends on your group, the next highest selling setting is probably Rifts.

And Warhammer is common as a Mini's game, but not so much as an RPG.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #113
kag3musha

Well I must admit, I have dabbled with GURPS for years. I am not a big fan of the D20 system, however I also do NOT have time to convert game settings and modules from D20 (or older) to GURPS.

What I want, what I *need*, for my busy crew (both players and GM) is a world setting with modules that allow me to just GM, not spend time reworking everything.

Just one small opinion.
kag3musha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #114
The Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag3musha
What I want, what I *need*, for my busy crew (both players and GM) is a world setting with modules that allow me to just GM, not spend time reworking everything.
e23 PDFs could give you the modules - but what kind of setting do you want? SF, Fantasy, Post-Apocalypse?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #115
kag3musha

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal
e23 PDFs could give you the modules - but what kind of setting do you want? SF, Fantasy, Post-Apocalypse?
Fantasy. For SF I will use Traveller.
kag3musha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #116
Caleban

I may be in the minority but I'd rather that a setting be specific and consistent about what its fictions assumptions are. If I don't like something I'll add, remove, or change it to my liking. I don't like settings that punt on important details. If you can time travel: either you can change the past or you can't. If there is religion: gods either exist or they don't. Etc.

Personally I don't think a good setting needs: computer games, serialized fiction, yearly releases of supplements, adventures or fan fiction; although those things usually are generated because sales indicate a demand for them. The two fantasy settings I use most are Forgotten Realms as found in gray box, and a loose conversion of The Elder Scrolls using TES lore and history. For both I use GURPS RAW.
Caleban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #117
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Zer0
I meant owuld be worthwhile to the publishers to jump thru all the hoops that are in put place for good reason.
Exactly. This is a business, after all. (I suppose that someone could write a grant and get the NEH or some other government agency to fund the writing of GURPS books--games have been used as teaching tools; this would not be the strangest thing the NEH has funded over the years--but this seems even more of a long shot than just getting some other companies to write the books with profit in mind.)

My thinking is that we're at a bit of turning point for the hobby. 4th edition D&D may change both the game and the way third party publishers operate. I don't know what the new license from WotC/Hasbro is like. I also have no idea how most d20 players will take to the new edition. Unless the new D&D license is totally draconian, I doubt many publishers putting out d20 material right now are going to drop the system, but maybe the stars--I mean, the market conditions--are finally right for some publishers to try out a line of "Powered by GURPS" books along with their other products.

But which publishers? And what would it take to get them interested?

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #118
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Zer0
Delays and licensing fees?

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #119
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal
Cinematic action, multi-genre. Something that lets me use Magic, Martial Arts, High-Tech, Ultra-Tech, and Powers. Oh yeah, throw in Cabal, Undead, Blood Types (all suitably updated to GURPS 4e standards).
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #120
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Cinematic action, multi-genre. Something that lets me use Magic, Martial Arts, High-Tech, Ultra-Tech, and Powers. Oh yeah, throw in Cabal, Undead, Blood Types (all suitably updated to GURPS 4e standards).
OK. Just as long as you didn't want anything complicated. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps revival