Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-07-2023, 03:31 AM   #11
Farmer

Default Re: Technobabble for a world build

Thank you all for the ongoing discussion. I've found it really interesting and very helpful. I did not expect the naming basis to be the main point, which shows the benefit of asking for feedback, because you then are shown things you didn't see yourself.

I'm going to provide a choice - quantum and "something else" (TBD) to see which the players prefer.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 02:28 PM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Sure it does. Just slide sideways into a world where those 19 people were arrested.
That doesn't help the people who were negatively affected by the event in your own timeline. But then again, one can argue that any sort of time travel that actually changes one's own timeline (rather than splitting things off into a new one) essentially erases everyone in it and replaces them with their past selves.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:18 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Thank you all for the ongoing discussion. I've found it really interesting and very helpful. I did not expect the naming basis to be the main point, which shows the benefit of asking for feedback, because you then are shown things you didn't see yourself.
It's always risky to use terms with a real-world meaning that the listeners might be aware of in a way that doesn't match their real-world meaning. Naturally, this means the terms you should avoid depend on your audience.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:13 PM   #14
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's always risky to use terms with a real-world meaning that the listeners might be aware of in a way that doesn't match their real-world meaning. Naturally, this means the terms you should avoid depend on your audience.
For clarity, only one term matched an existing real-world term. The offering of the second set of terms will switch out the word "quantum" in terms that use it and then the players will choose which set they prefer overall and I'll run with that (and the one term which is already in use in real-life will be altered in case they prefer to stay with "quantum".
Old 11-08-2023, 08:30 AM   #15
Irish Wolf

Quote:
For clarity, only one term matched an existing real-world term. The offering of the second set of terms will switch out the word "quantum" in terms that use it and then the players will choose which set they prefer overall and I'll run with that (and the one term which is already in use in real-life will be altered in case they prefer to stay with "quantum".
That can be important in worldbuilding, though. There was one thing that almost made me give up entirely on the movie Star Trek Into Darkness - when they needed a technobabble way to shut down an erupting volcano near the beginning, and the writer(s) decided that "cold fusion" meant something like a fusion bomb only it freezes things instead of vaporizing them. There were already tons of technobabble they could have chosen from (a limited tetryon cascade! What would that do? Who knows, tetryons aren't real!), but they used a real-world term for a theoretically-possible technology (it's regular nuclear fusion, but at temperatures of less than millions of degrees). Threw me right out of the story. Later, I gritted my teeth and muscled through, which effort was not rewarded because frankly it was indicative of the care which the writer(s) took with the entire script, but that's neither here nor there.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:41 PM   #16
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
That can be important in worldbuilding
Yep, definitely, which is why I appreciated it when Fred highlighted that, and then I went through and checked all the other terms to avoid real-world duplication. Use/duplication of real-world terms was never intended, but the power and benefit of having others review your material is to pick up the things you miss after having read your own stuff a million times :-).
Old 11-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #17
RyanW

I'm not really a fan of the "touch your past self and you both die" trope.

On the other hand, I could get on board with "two time travelers from vastly different origins can interfere with one another's quantum harmonics with contact or proximity, breaking down both travelers' quantum state adjustments and requiring an immediate return tunnel." This could lead to multiple time traveling factions that struggle to directly interact with one another, leading to a temporal cold war situation.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:57 PM   #18
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I'm not really a fan of the "touch your past self and you both die" trope.

On the other hand, I could get on board with "two time travelers from vastly different origins can interfere with one another's quantum harmonics with contact or proximity, breaking down both travelers' quantum state adjustments and requiring an immediate return tunnel." This could lead to multiple time traveling factions that struggle to directly interact with one another, leading to a temporal cold war situation.
I don't have a "touch yourself and you die" trope by any means. In the document, I discuss under the Grandfather Paradox & Time's Resistance and I've created an energy based resistance to paradoxes. Interaction is possible, but the more significant the changes the more energy is required.

Characters in this game will be every bit diplomats and counsellors as they will be marksmen and ninja.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:24 PM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:

Characters in this game will be every bit diplomats and counsellors as they will be marksmen and ninja.

So your PCs will use chronally charged shuriken to get rid of inconvenient time travellers?

If you wonder, the charged shuriken has a safety switch and does not become charged until after it is thrown.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:28 AM   #20
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
So your PCs will use chronally charged shuriken to get rid of inconvenient time travellers?

If you wonder, the charged shuriken has a safety switch and does not become charged until after it is thrown.
I laughed a lot at this :-)

They should be trying to minimise timeline impact and use local and contemporaneous items and weapons to stop the antagonists. Lethal options are not necessarily required or desired, but are certainly possible.