Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Schilcote

Default Number Intuition

I'm building a character who has the ability to make supernaturally accurate guesses about the numerical properties of things; i.e, if he came across a chasm, he could just 'guess' how far the gap was down to the inch.

How would this be implemented advantage-wise? Intuition doesn't really seem to fit as a base.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Number Intuition

What does it enable him to do besides that?

If its just flavor or allows measurement to be made I'd go with a perk

If it allows him to piolot rockets by knowing where it will end up and adjusting, thats something different.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Schilcote

He's a mathematician and a physicist, so he can make pretty good use of the numbers he gets. He probably could eyeball the trajectory of a rocket if he had a piece of paper to do calculations on.

It's also his "one supernatural trait" (the setting dictates that we're normal people who have one odd thing about them that crops up sometimes), so it probably ought to be a full advantage.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Have you looked at Lightning Calculator B66 especial the "Intuitive Mathematician" version?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilcote View Post
He's a mathematician and a physicist, so he can make pretty good use of the numbers he gets. He probably could eyeball the trajectory of a rocket if he had a piece of paper to do calculations on.

It's also his "one supernatural trait" (the setting dictates that we're normal people who have one odd thing about them that crops up sometimes), so it probably ought to be a full advantage.
Intuitive Mathematician [5] (GURPS Basic, pg 66)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Agemegos

If he sees a hot redhead, can he guess his or her 'phone number? Bank balance? SAT score? SSN?

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Schilcote

Intuitive Mathematician is about the calculations themselves- his ability is getting the numbers in the first place.

EDIT:

Brett: No, just physical properties. Height, weight, blood alcohol content, that sort of thing he could do.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Intuitive Mathematician is about the calculations themselves- his ability is getting the numbers in the first place.

EDIT:

Brett: No, just physical properties. Height, weight, blood alcohol content, that sort of thing he could do.
you can get the distances, they know their own height and make the calculation of the measurements based on that for what they can see. they take "sight measurements"

of you want to it when you can't see, then you want Scanning Sense
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
... Right.

Okay. You want to know the dimensions of the thing you are looking at. How does a normal person acquire those numbers? Comparison to an object of known dimensions at a known distance and some math. Normal people use their body parts for such comparison all the time; they simply do so unconsciously and without pinpoint precision due to it being an unthinking calculation rather than an intentional thing. (We call this "binocular vision" or "depth perception".)

This character does so instantly, with pinpoint precision, because it does the math faster than most computers can without even thinking about it. So it has the numbers. It knows the precise distance and dimensions of anything it looks at, it can look at a complex formula and just answer it, it can do engineering design and orbital transfer calculations in its' head.

Alternatively, you could just design it as:
Detect ("Numerical Properties Of Things", Very Common) (Analyzing, +100%; Cosmic (Because I say so!), +50%; Precise, +100%; Reflexive, +40%) [117]

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 02-24-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:

There's nothing in GURPS 4th Edition that says that you always have to represent "one odd thing abourt the character" with a single Advantage.

Sometimes correct simulation warrants two or three Advantages, or one Advantage and a Perk, or seven Advantages and a Power Talent and four Perks.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build advice, powers