Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
RogerBW

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Gabrielle Alban is from a world not too unlike our own. Back in the 1960s, she was a student test subject for experimental drug treatment. Unlike most of her cohort, she survived. Unlike most of her fellow survivors, she had the sense - and the ability - to convince people that nothing had happened. Even though she could now read people's minds and sway their emotions... and didn't seem to be getting much older.

She has lived at least three separate lives on Earth, doing casual jobs, moving to a new town and un-aging herself when it seems necessary. Now she's looking for something a bit more interesting out of life. And she's heard rumours from world-travellers, that the timeline she's in is heading for something big and bad. It's not much of a world, but it's still home. That sounds like something worth heading off...

(Mechanically: built out of Psionic Powers with mostly Telepathy and a little Psychic Healing to power Unaging.)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Dorin Thorha

If you still need another player, I've got a concept taking shape for a Indiana Jones-esque adventurer who has found a world-jumping artifact. He understands these things less than the rest of the party, but he's adaptable and never could let the unknown stay unknown.

If you don't still need one, that's ok too, as I probably have other things I should be doing with my time...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
If you still need another player, I've got a concept taking shape for a Indiana Jones-esque adventurer who has found a world-jumping artifact. He understands these things less than the rest of the party, but he's adaptable and never could let the unknown stay unknown.

If you don't still need one, that's ok too, as I probably have other things I should be doing with my time...
At the moment I'm holding it as first-come for character sheets, but that does allow for the option of either expanding the team or people changing concepts. I've got about seven people interested ranging from an "I'm interested" up to a couple of character sheets, so there's still room.

Also (nods in gratitude for the thought) there is the possibility that after the first part this could expand into other threads, in a similar manner to University of Heroes. This can only happen at the start of part 2, because that's when... Well, it hits the main track at that point. Plot gets explained, that kind of stuff. It's also a chance for people to jump in/ jump out/ change characters, so it's fairly flexible on that. So... If the time isn't available right now, feel free to hold off for a while.

But if you can make it, obviously feel free to join in.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
Dorin Thorha

Char sheet:

Code:
Indigo Joe

Wealth: Struggling ($10,000)

ATTRIBUTES [120]

ST 12 [20]
IQ 12 [40]
DX 12 [40]
HT 12 [20]

HP 12
Will 12
Per 12
FP 12

Basic Speed 6
Basic Move 6
Basic Lift 29

Damage 1d-1/1d+2

ADVANTAGES [84]

Charisma 2 [10]
Daredevil [15]
Gizmos 1 [5]
Night Vision 1 [1]
Signature Gear 1 [1]
Wild Talent [20]

Atlantean Compass ([46], SM 6 -10%, Can Be Stolen By Stealth or Trickery -20%) [33]
-Danger Sense (Nuisance Effect: Eerie hum -5%)
-Luck
-Serendipity
-Perceptual Filter

DISADVANTAGES [-50]

Curious [-5]
Enemy (Baron Von Kaputt -20, 6 or less x1/2) [-10]
Impulsive (15) [-5]
Light Sleeper [-5]
On The Edge (15) [-7]
Overconfident [-5]
Sense of Duty (People who have saved his life or otherwise done him  great service) [-3]
Struggling [-10]

SKILLS [65]

Acrobatics (DX/H) +0 [4]
Acting (IQ/A) +0 [2]
Archaeology (IQ/H) -1 [2]
Brawling (DX/E) +2 [4]
Broadsword (DX/A) +0 [2]
Carousing (HT/E) +0 [2]
Climbing (DX/A) -1 [1]
Disguise (IQ/A) -1 [1]
Escape (DX/H) +0 [4]
Fast-Draw (Pistol) (DX/E) +1 [2]
Fast-Talk (IQ/A) +2 [8]
Filch (DX/A) -1 [1]
First Aid (IQ/E) +1 [2]
Guesture (IQ/E) +1 [2]
Pistol (DX/E) +2 [4]
Hiking (HT/A) +0 [2]
Holdout (IQ/A) -1 [1]
Intimidation (Will/A) +0 [2]
Jumping (DX/E) +1 [2]
Knot-Tying (DX/E) +0 [1]
Observation (Per/A) +0 [2]
Research (IQ/A) -1  [1]
Stealth (DX/A) +0 [2]
Streetwise (IQ/A) +2 [8]
Survival (Per/A) -1 [1]
Traps (IQ/A) +0 [2]
Whip (DX/A) +0 [2]

QUIRKS [-5]

Hates Monkeys [-1]
Places Great Store In His Hat [-1]
Likes Unusual Artifacts [-1]
2 more quirks TBD

PERKS [5]

Convincing Nod [1]
Weapon Bond (Whip) [1]
Weapon Bond (Machete) [1]
Can Read Basic Atlantean Heiroglyphs [1]
Alcohol Tolerence [1]

EQUIPMENT

Machete (Very Fine +2 damage) (Balanced +1 skill) $3,200 (Sig Gear)
sw+3 cut, thr imp
Weight 3

.44 Revolver  $1,800 (Fine +1 Acc) (Sig Gear)
Acc 3
3d pi+
Weight 3.25

Whip (FIne +1 to skill) $500 (Sig Gear)
Reach 5
Damage sw-1 cr

Indestructible Hat $2,000 (Sig Gear)

Boots (Ornate) $800 (Sig Gear)
Weight 3

Leather Gloves (Ornate) $300 (Sig Gear)
Backstory to follow.

Last edited by Dorin Thorha; 10-14-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Filling in quirks and perks
Dorin Thorha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Gabrielle Alban is from a world not too unlike our own. Back in the 1960s, she was a student test subject for experimental drug treatment. Unlike most of her cohort, she survived. Unlike most of her fellow survivors, she had the sense - and the ability - to convince people that nothing had happened.

(Mechanically: built out of Psionic Powers with mostly Telepathy and a little Psychic Healing to power Unaging.)
Was your character a willing part of this experiment? Could make a difference.

Also, I'm not seeing signs of world-jumping abilities. Is this tech-based?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Was your character a willing part of this experiment? Could make a difference.
She was willing to test experimental drugs that might cure insanity. Nobody warned her about the possibility of becoming an idiot savant remote-viewer working for the CIA - or a world-jumping immortal telepath.

Quote:
Also, I'm not seeing signs of world-jumping abilities. Is this tech-based?
Just the "campaign standard" free Jumper, no enhancements or limitations.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
Dorin Thorha

Backstory for Indigo Joe:

"There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will."

Indigo Joe has spent his life going from sandpile to forsaken sandpile. It wasn't his fault that the digs never panned out and the lost villages never materialized. Even the discovery of an Atlantean colony that had survived into the 1300s was only accomplished by wrecking his backer's luxury watercraft. But he thought the gold disk he found there might almost pay off his debts. The day after he found the disk, a ship appeared offshore. He thought this was lucky break, but as he waved wildly at the approaching boat his disk started to make an eerie noise.

He hit the sand as the bullets started flying. The boat belonged to Somali pirates. After eluding them and hiding, he took out the disk for a closer look. Several points on the disk were glowing where no markings had been before. They appeared to form an abstract map. When he touched one of the points experimentally, the image zoomed in on it and heiroglyphs appeared around the disk edge.

The pirate never could understand what happened. One second the guy was in his sights, and the next second he was gone without a trace!

As for Joe, he now has a chance to escape his creditors for good.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #18
Totem

One question, which I should have asked sooner:

Can someone explain the specifics of the Perk "Weapon Bond"? I can guess, but it doesn't appear in any of the documentation that I've got and I'd like to be certain. Similarly "Weapon Adaptation".
Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Talosian

Weapon Bond is a +1 bonus to skill with a specific weapon. This isn't magical, but rather, "...balance, fit to your hand, and the like." This can be with a signature gear weapon, or a normal weapon of any quality. The weapon can be lost or destroyed but, "...a character can acquire a new Weapon Bond in play."

Weapon Adaptation allows one weapon to be used by another skill and it's techniques (with no penalty), "...with all of the benefits and drawbacks of that skill, provided the replacement skill defaults to the usual one at no worse than -4 and uses the same number of hands."
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #20
ErhnamDJ

Well, I spent about two hours finishing my character sheet this morning.

Look here at what the forums did to it.

Man... did anyone happen to save a copy of it with all the equipment?

Edit:

It had cut off about half of my sheet. I'm piecing it back together now.

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 09-25-2010 at 05:08 PM.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire