Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-24-2023, 09:59 PM   #1
timm meyers

Default What's your "experience" like?

If you played the same character every week for a full year (52 games) you would have too average 63.4 xp per session to reach 39 attribute points (no new talents) or 140.3 xp per game to reach 40.
OR
From 32 to 40 is eight "levels" so over the same 52 sessions per year campaign a player would need to gain enough xp to advance every 6.5 games.

Who has any lvl 40 characters since Legacy? How long did they take in time and sessions? What's the longest campaign/game (in number of sessions) that your eldest character has participated in?
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:33 AM   #2
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: What's your "experience" like?

There are no 40 pt PCs in my game. I have a player that has a squad of 4 characters that has played almost every week (a few exceptions) for the last 11 months. All four of his characters are 36-37 pt. They have reached the cusp of buying talents with XP is more affordable than attributes which provides more options in character development.

For XP award, I tend to follow the suggestion in ITL. 25-100 per session or as described in Death Test or other micro-quests--these usually aren't a per session XP award and are collected upon conclusion. A non-combat scenario would typically bring in lower numbers than combat but there could be exceptions for some truly good investigation or negotiations.

Even though I was fine with the XP to Attribute costs of Classic TFT, I'm OK with Legacy's XP to Attribute cost up to 38 points. After that, I have decided to get away from the obviously draconian Legacy scale. It will still be extremely slow and hard to get to 40 pts or even a little above but not outright impossible provided that you play characters for a long time.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
Axly Suregrip

9 months of play with the current crew. Most of the surviving original characters are at 38 points and one at 37. We play weekly.

I aim for 75 XP per week. Sometime 50 or 100. GM's whim. I sometimes give out extra XP (25/50/75/100) for collaborative or great or brilliant deeds that add to the story (often for good roleplaying by showing realistic emotional reactions). I try to keep an eye out for these but they do not happen every week. The characters currently range from 35 to 38.

I lean towards being generous with XP because advancement is part of the fun. So, every time IQ is increased they also gain a "talent/spell point". That also speeds it along.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:03 AM   #4
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I lean towards being generous with XP because advancement is part of the fun. So, every time IQ is increased they also gain a "talent/spell point". That also speeds it along.
Good! IMHO, that's something that never should have been changed.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:39 AM   #5
Shostak

90 sessions or so in and characters who have been in play since the beginning are up around 38 points. I started off giving about 20-30 XP per session, but have increased keep advancement from slowing too much due to the XP progression, so that these days a typical award is 60-90 XP.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:00 AM   #6
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
So, every time IQ is increased they also gain a "talent/spell point". That also speeds it along.
That's an interesting house rule. I wonder how that would balance against just charging 250 XP for each talent/spell point?

It would seem to promote characters increasing IQ early in the game.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:40 PM   #7
hcobb

• Shostak: 38 attributes (2300 XP) / 90 sessions = 26 XP per session
  • Axly: 9*4 ~= 36 sessions? = 64 XP per session
  • Bill_in_IN: 37 attributes (1300 XP) / 11 * 4? = 30 XP per session
  • Hcobb (rogues): top player is 502 XP / 25 sessions = 20 XP per session (I suck, apparently.)
The current system makes IQ at start about twice as valuable as IQ through XP and ST gives linear improvement for exponential costs. Hence you start with all the talents you'll need for the first year and xp flips into dx.

I'm starting up a second weekly game to play Saturdays. It'll be on a more epic scale but the starting challenge is to triumph over Death Test 2 with four starting characters who each only have a budget of $250.

Last edited by hcobb; 04-26-2023 at 03:44 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:28 PM   #8
phiwum

I tend to give more XP, with at least 50 XP on most weeks -- unless the session was fairly slow moving with no standouts. But my players use a rotating cast of characters, so the PCs don't advance as quickly as one might guess.

After a particularly harrowing fight, I will sometimes give over 100 XP. I'm not particularly worried about fast advancement, so long as I can keep creating reasonable challenges.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:23 PM   #9
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
  • Hcobb (rogues): top player is 502 XP / 25 sessions = 20 XP per session (I suck, apparently.)
Darn, I'm a cheapskate. Well...At least, I don't suck.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:56 PM   #10
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The current system makes IQ at start about twice as valuable as IQ through XP and ST gives linear improvement for exponential costs. Hence you start with all the talents you'll need for the first year and xp flips into dx.

I'm starting up a second weekly game to play Saturdays. It'll be on a more epic scale but the starting challenge is to triumph over Death Test 2 with four starting characters who each only have a budget of $250.
These numbers assume that the players haven't spent XP on talents or spells, right? That's probably not an apt assumption.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote