Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Whirlwind Attack and Altered Time Rate

This has come up in a game I'm playing. The description of Whirlwind Attack includes the section "If you use this technique, it is all you can do that turn, no matter how fast or skilled you are." Is this only talking about Extra Attack, Rapid Strike, etc, or does it include extra maneuvers gained from Altered Time Rate?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Dinadon

Default Re: Whirlwind Attack and Altered Time Rate

Maneuver and turn are synonymous. Note that Whirlwind Attack is a form of All-Out Attack, so selecting Whirlwind Attack becomes your maneuver selection. If you have Altered Time Rate then you can use Whirlwind Attack multiple times.

Rapid Strike falls under fast/skilled, and it is reasonable to assume that its penalty is equivalent to the one built into Whirlwind Attack, so you can't use both.

For Extra Attack this is less clear since it is an Advantage, but all it would mean is that your Whirlwind Attack has one additional attack. You wouldn't be able to do anything else with your Extra Attack.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Plane

Default Re: Whirlwind Attack and Altered Time Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Maneuver and turn are synonymous. Note that Whirlwind Attack is a form of All-Out Attack, so selecting Whirlwind Attack becomes your maneuver selection. If you have Altered Time Rate then you can use Whirlwind Attack multiple times.
Or inversely, if someone had Decreased Time Rate they'd probably need to spend 2 turns per whirlwind?

Quote:
Rapid Strike falls under fast/skilled, and it is reasonable to assume that its penalty is equivalent to the one built into Whirlwind Attack, so you can't use both.
Quote:
For Extra Attack this is less clear since it is an Advantage, but all it would mean is that your Whirlwind Attack has one additional attack. You wouldn't be able to do anything else with your Extra Attack.
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.4.2.20 actually says you need to forfeit extra attacks. Not entirely sure why, getting an extra WW hit doesn't seem off-balance.

No mention of Compartmentalized Mind's extra Concentrate... I don't know if that counts as an "Extra Maneuver" or not. I don't think it's entirely like that since you wouldn't get the "Step" or resetting of your active defence count like you would if you had ATR and used it to Concentrate.

Kromm mentions in the breakdown at http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...62&postcount=8 that "all you can do this turn" is a +1 drawback, I guess you could make a variation where you take another -1 to all your hits (so -6 instead of -5) in exchange for getting to use your Extra Attack(s). I don't think the -1 would apply to the Extra Attack though since it's not part of the Rapid Strike technique combo that underlies Whirlwind. In fact, I think you'd get +4 to it from AOA Determined bonus applying.

I don't think "must accept random hit location" would apply to the Extra Attack either? Since it's not part of the combo.

The thing about using Kromm's version is you need to accept the 6-target limit, not the potentially unlimited amount in the original wording.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altered time rate, whirlwind attack