Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #41
dataweaver

Default Re: Gurps 3ed rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
The thing I find most attractive about the HERO system is the way it all fits together. Not to say that I agree with the way everything is implemented, but the tools given generally seem to fit together cleanly. GURPS, in contrast, sometimes seems to have been put together by committee, with extra mechanisms doing the work that one could do. A lot of things were streamlined in 4E, but I wish it could have gone further in integrating Magic completely; abandoning the old 'spells as skills' model and doing a complete rewrite with spells as powers. Ideally, this would have been done with an eye toward keeping those 'powers' similar to their old versions.
Did I mention that I cringe whenever someone suggests replacing the spell system with GURPS Powers? *cringe*

No, seriously. *cringe*

I just wrote an extensive post on this very subject; you can find it here. The thesis is that magic isn't always a power; and it's a mistake to try to treat it as such when it isn't.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not thrilled about GURPS Magic. I would definitely like to see an overhaul of it in the same vein as 4e's overhaul of psionics that generalized into Powers. What I don't want to see is the abandoning of the 'spells as skills' model. Instead, give me a skill-based "exotic abilities" system that can handle mages, psychics, chi-wielders, shamans, and so on - a system that exists alongside the Powers system that 4e provides. This would provide a nice trifecta of exotic capabilities: inborn powers ("to be"), skill-based abilities ("to do"), and gear ("to have").
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #42
Refplace

Quote:
Very clever :) Since you asked nicely:

The thing I find most attractive about the HERO system is the way it all fits together. Not to say that I agree with the way everything is implemented, but the tools given generally seem to fit together cleanly. GURPS, in contrast, sometimes seems to have been put together by committee, with extra mechanisms doing the work that one could do. A lot of things were streamlined in 4E, but I wish it could have gone further in integrating Magic completely; abandoning the old 'spells as skills' model and doing a complete rewrite with spells as powers. Ideally, this would have been done with an eye toward keeping those 'powers' similar to their old versions.

Thanks for the response, BTW.

"It's turtles all the way down."
I on the other hand hated the "One size fits all" approach of Hero.
Everything worked the same and so everything tended to look the same.
And the thing people who advance the arguement they prefer Powers to skills approach that throws me is GURPS already gives that option. It just didnt stat out every spell that way, just give several ways to do it.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #43
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace
And the thing people who advance the arguement they prefer Powers to skills approach that throws me is GURPS already gives that option. It just didnt stat out every spell that way, just give several ways to do it.
AIS, my preference would have been to abandon the concept of spells as skills completely, and publish Magic for 4E as a catalog of spells written as powers. dw was asking for how I thought GURPS would be better being more like HERO. It's JMO, and a pipe dream at this point.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #44
Refplace

Quote:
AIS, my preference would have been to abandon the concept of spells as skills completely, and publish Magic for 4E as a catalog of spells written as powers. dw was asking for how I thought GURPS would be better being more like HERO. It's JMO, and a pipe dream at this point.
Your right but Powers and Thaumatology certainly give us plenty of pointers to do a Powers as Spell campaign. And Psionic Powers goes one better by giving us clearcut examples of one way to do it while managing to stay pretty much in core rules.
Mind you I consider Powers as Core.
IMHO this gives us both options, though right now Magic is better supported.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, gurps 3e basic set