Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Food and drink

Assuming you're okay with a little mess, or can keep your hands clean, what is your ideal food and drink for a pencil and paper roleplaying game session? Does it depend on the genre/system/mood/etc, or do your choices stay the same no matter what? Does everyone pitch in, or is one person expected to bring enough for all?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
moldymaltquaffer

Default Re: Food and drink

Mountain Dew in vast quanities.

Food is optional, and generally limited to chips, popcorn, and the like.
moldymaltquaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
whswhs

In one of the groups I'm in, the custom is that each brings their own; there's one member who has food control issues. In the other two, the rule is "enough for yourself and a hobbit." We've moved toward moderately healthier snacks than we used to favor; we get some vegetables, cheese, hummus, fruit, and the like along with the usual chips and cookies. For drink, we've long since settled on "bring your own," as we all have very specific tastes in beverages.

Bill
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
We've moved toward moderately healthier snacks than we used to favor; we get some vegetables, cheese, hummus, fruit, and the like along with the usual chips and cookies
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46...Icons/clap.gif
Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

The functional rule with the people I play with is that the host (that is, the person who lives at the physical location) provides most of the food, but others are certainly welcome to bring stuff. Exactly what shows up on the table varies considerably, from delivery pizza to, at my house, stuff like this (yes, those Twinkies are hand-made).

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

For my main group, we usually have dinner during the game.

MonkeyFist and I are usually the last ones there because we call Gummi and ask: "What's for dinner and what do we need to bring?" We'll get a list and stop at the grocery store on the way in. I usually get a case of Guinness for Gummi as well. MonkeyFist and I usually bring a couple of cases of soda (I'll drink one or two, but I'm a water person).

If the weather is nice, though it voids my manufacturer's warranty, we'll game outside while they grill. It's not uncommon for all of us to be gaming in the kitchen while they cook.

We will, on occasion, order Chineese or Pizza, but usually, we're having something else. We had hamburgers and brauts last Sunday. The Sunday before that we had grilled chicken breasts and garlic mashed potatos. I don't know what we're having this Sunday.

A few months ago, I wanted fajitas. Gummi's wife went out and bought the meat (since she'd need to marinate it for a couple of days, or something), and I bought the rest of the supplies.
Mark Skarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Ragitsu
Banned

Alcohol during an RPG?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Alcohol during an RPG?
Yes. Last Sunday, Gummi put away seven or eight Guinness. No, it didn't negatively impact the game in the slightest. He can't do math normally, so when he was failing some simple division, it didn't bother any of us.

I'm the only one who doesn't drink at the games. I've had a little Guinness, because I wanted to see what it tasted like, but I'm a teetotaler. MonkeyFist will, on occasion, get an Irish Coffee. But, yes, a lot of our gamers drink.
Mark Skarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I'm the only one who doesn't drink at the games. I've had a little Guinness, because I wanted to see what it tasted like, but I'm a teetotaler. MonkeyFist will, on occasion, get an Irish Coffee. But, yes, a lot of our gamers drink.
I have players who drink, but not during games, as a general rule. I've let it slide with a player who was a good roleplayer, but if it started to lower the quality of the roleplaying I would ask them which was more important to them. Though this is probably influenced by my not drinking, and actively avoiding any social event that's defined as an occasion for drinking.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Alcohol during an RPG?
No.

But I'm not a beer and pretzles gamer. I wouldn't drink before I went onstage to sing, or before I went onstage to act in a play. I don't drink before or during game.

Game for me is fun. But it is serious business that requires commitment and concentration and a level of professionalism.

So no alcohol.

But also no playing video games, watching TV, surfing the internet, talking on the cell phone at the table, etc.

I don't game to "hang out with my pals"--I game to game. I hang out with my pals afterwards.

As a side note: I also hate it when people talk during TV shows or films as well. When I watch a show, I give it my attention. Afterwards we can joke about it or deconstruct it or whatever.

During game, I'm okay with a little joking here or there...a few tangents. But, I was at a session with a player who was basically doing a running side commentary...I was really not okay with that. I thought it was rude and disrespectful to not only the GM but the other players.

Drinking and tangents and lack of concentration, focus and attention ruins my fun.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
at the table, drink, food, sustenance