Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2020, 12:02 AM   #91
Jinumon

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Apart from your eyes, or windows for a vehicle, no chinks in the armor that can be targeted like that, and I don't think it's a Limitation you can take.
So if you were building an android-like racial template with external plating, how would you represent reduced DR at the joints and seams? Do you think it would just be a -5% Nuisance Effect?

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #92
Gumby Bush

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Yeah, if I felt the need to represent it, I'd either say that chinks always apply without Force-Field or the like, or I'd call it -5% or flavor.

-5% might be too high, depending on how often chinks are targeted. I really lean towards saying chinks exist by default, whether that's RAW or not.

Consider: hard plating with any room for articulation realistically entails chinks. If there is no articulation (no arms, legs, doors, etc.), then the lack of chinks is minor flavor, IMHO. If the being is simply made of stone or something, then there might be an argument for no chinks... but even there it would depend on the setting/GM.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #93
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I think by RAW there are no chinks, but I suspect in practice it depends on a GM call. If you asked me as a GM for a bonus for having chinks I'd happily give you -10%. Unless you were pushing your limits trying to get the total down to -80% for some character building stunt.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #94
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think by RAW there are no chinks, but I suspect in practice it depends on a GM call. If you asked me as a GM for a bonus for having chinks I'd happily give you -10%. Unless you were pushing your limits trying to get the total down to -80% for some character building stunt.
Realistically, looking at it biologically, there are organisms that have external armor without chinks, such as abalones, limpets, or tusk shells—or tortoises. But the armor can't cover their entire bodies; if it did, they couldn't eat, breathe, or excrete, and would die. Rather, they have an exposed surface, usually consisting primarily of the foot in molluscs.

It's also noteworthy that this solid external armor doesn't allow movement.

And then there are organisms that have external armor that allows movement. It's jointed, as in insects, ararchnids, and crustaceans. The joints are necessarily weaker. And they also have mouths, anuses, eyes, and (in insects) tracheae, which can be targeted.

In some campaigns, I would say this is too fussy to bother with, and you have to get through the DR. But if I were using chinks in armor in the first place, I would have it be a feature of natural armor as well. And if a character wanted to have their entire body surface protected, like Superman's, I would be thinking about making that DR N (Cosmic, No chinks, +50%) [7.5N].

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #95
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In some campaigns, I would say this is too fussy to bother with, and you have to get through the DR. But if I were using chinks in armor in the first place, I would have it be a feature of natural armor as well. And if a character wanted to have their entire body surface protected, like Superman's, I would be thinking about making that DR N (Cosmic, No chinks, +50%) [7.5N].
If I was using the "baseline DR has Chinks" rule for a campaign/setting, I would not make "No Chinks" cost more than Force Field (+20%) which inherently has No Chinks as part of what it does.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #96
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
I realize this is something of a necro-post, but I figured it was better than starting a whole new thread. Does DR purchased as an advantage include the weaknesses relevant to Targeting Chinks in Armor, or would that be a Limitation?
I like the idea of including it and buying it off as an enhancement since DR seems cheap.

Low-Tech noted that flexible armor doesn't have chinks, so buying it off would make sense in that case.

Probably would also make sense for force field.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:42 AM   #97
Jinumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm building a racial template, so it isn't anything players will have control over.
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:05 AM   #98
Arcanjo7Sagi

Not wanting to be a necromancer, but already being one...

About No Signature thing. Wouldn't it simply be easier to have a perk or perk giving that benefit? Because +20% is too expensive for such a small effect (and ignored in most other GURPS books, by the way). It's easy to ignore or consider something silly if you have 1-10 DR. But there are games where the PC will want high values and it becomes too expensive for such a small benefit. Let's face it, paying more 100 points for this with DR 100 is completely ridiculous.

The fairest thing would be to simply have a perk or an advantage for it. Let's face it: even if it's a valid benefit, there's a limit to its usefulness. Paying 1, 5 or even 10 points I think is valid. More than that is absurd.

Think about No Visible Damage for Unkillable. It's just a perk.

I understand the idea that some advantages can be upgraded to get extra benefits. But not everything needs to be a enhancement. Especially advantages that can be very expensive and the extra benefits very small. Sometimes, a perk for a small extra its fine.

Last edited by Arcanjo7Sagi; 04-07-2023 at 07:34 AM.
Arcanjo7Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:58 PM   #99
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post
About No Signature thing. Wouldn't it simply be easier to have a perk or perk giving that benefit?
Sure. Damage Resistance is possibly the oldest advantage in GURPS, while the idea of designing trivial powers as perks is a more recent phenomenon.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, advantage, advantage of the week, damage resistance, limited defenses, monstrous, nictating membrane, [basic]