Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2022, 03:02 AM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Authentic medieval/Renaissance European magic, more or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Chapters 860-865 of the Journal of a Bourgeois of Paris describe the deeds of a suspected antichrist who studied at the University of Paris in 1445. He knew all seven liberal arts, was doctor of all four disciplines (medicine, civil law, canon law, theology), and all languages, and painting, and singing, and playing instruments, and fencing with the two-handed sword, and how could anyone learn all that if they lived to be a hundred?
At the start of Goethe's Faust, the protagonist lists most of those disciplines as ones he has mastered.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:06 AM   #12
Inky

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...04#post2429804

Somebody already seems to have had a go at at least Hermetic magic. I don't know whether Apollonian's aware of this.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #13
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
I am trying to figure out how to implement "authentic" magic for Europe of the late middle ages and early Renaissance in GURPS. This is a bit ofa place holder post, because it's quite late, but I don't want to lose the thought.

I don't think classic spell magic is a thing, and the classic rational magic models GURPS is used to probably won't work tricky well either. Forms of magical arts I'm considering: astrology, alchemy, goetia, calling on divine power, "folk magic"... What am I missing?
What GURPS calls Low Magic:

Craft Magic: Special rituals can imbue items or people with magical powers. "Superior ability to use a nonmagical skill can itself be an expression of magic."

A related aspect to Craft Magic is Creation as Deed where the very act of creating the item itself may be a sufficiently worthy deed to spontaneously enchant it. Creation as Deed applies to the process of making the item not deeds performed with the item — which is Enchantment Through Age and Deeds.

Mysteries of the Trade: "Various professions have a reputation for magical knowledge." The easiest way to emulate this is with a variant Ritual Magic where a relevant mundane skill replaces the Ritual Magic or Thaumaturgy skill. A IQ/Very Hard (Profession) Magic skill replaces College but everything else is per the Ritual Magic system with Magery 0 (or Power Investiture) required to cast spells in low- or normal-mana regions.

So someone with Physician-16 would have Physician Magic-10 as their default and have Minor Healing-8

This is very similar to S. John Ross' Hedge Magic but it involves understanding of the magic within mundane skills. But one example in the piece expressly uses the term "mage" meaning that Magery was effectively part of the Hedge Magic advantage.

Oaths, Single Spells, and True Faith also fall under Low magic
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alchemy, astrology, europe, magic